Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:23:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining difficulty slowing down over the next 3 months?  (Read 7710 times)
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 06:35:38 AM

A  Big chunk of the profits being mined are re-invested into more equipment to offset the rising hashrate.  But the initial investment is not 100% recouped.

Mining bitcoins at home, for people who are capable only of low investments, is almost ended because of the small or null ROI they can have.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 12:31:00 AM

s1gs3gv's law:

"As long as bitcoin represents a useful form of wealth storage for the wealthy the price of bitcoin will adjust such that decentralized mining remains profitable."
taipo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Kia ora!

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2014, 01:50:54 AM

The next leap looks to be a big-ish one...

Support the two platforms essential to protecting the identities of whistleblowers. Both accept bitcoin donations.
https://globaleaks.org - GlobalLeaks ( btc: see http://goo.gl/D5wM0L )
http://goo.gl/sZg2RN  - SecureDrop: whistleblower submission system
ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:05:52 AM

Bigger than the last, most likely yes. But not biggish enough to be inbolded on https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty
ElGrandJefe

Activity: 459
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:50:35 PM

The network peaked at nearly 100 PH just before the last rise in difficulty, then plummeted, and is now just over 82 PH. Unless it comes back, or a lot of other hardware comes online, this could be one of the smallest difficulty increases in recent memory - or even a slight decline.

Why did nearly 20% of the network go offline? Any speculation?
ujka

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 04:02:35 PM

No hardware went offline. It was just 'luck' in generating new blocks. I saw payouts from ghash pool about 30% over average on that spike.
davejh

Activity: 136

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 05:48:48 PM

The network peaked at nearly 100 PH just before the last rise in difficulty, then plummeted, and is now just over 82 PH. Unless it comes back, or a lot of other hardware comes online, this could be one of the smallest difficulty increases in recent memory - or even a slight decline.

It probably didn't (although there's no way to be absolutely certain) - the statistics of mining mean that short term huge positive and negative spikes can and do occur. There was a much bigger one a few weeks ago that had me go and look at this in a little more detail. Even over a 2 week period it's quite likely that we'll see +/- 5% changes in the difficulty even if the total hashing rate stayed the same.

I put the 2 writeups here:

http://hashingit.com/analysis/16-hash-rate-headaches
http://hashingit.com/analysis/17-reach-for-the-ear-defenders
taipo

Kia ora!

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 08:25:31 PM

It could be that manufacturers are doing burn in tests. Big mining operations are ordering to keep ahead of the diff. So it could be a timing thing, 20 PH is ordered, burn in test takes place, miners are shipped and arrive at their destination just before the next diff rise, meanwhile in anticipation of the next, large mining ops order more, more burn in tests, more peaks just before the change.

If you go through the Eligius contrib list, you can see this rising in hash power just before diff changes in most of the medium to larger mining operations.

Support the two platforms essential to protecting the identities of whistleblowers. Both accept bitcoin donations.
samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 08:27:15 PM

It could be that manufacturers are doing burn in tests. Big mining operations are ordering to keep ahead of the diff. So it could be a timing thing, 20 PH is ordered, burn in test takes place, miners are shipped and arrive at their destination just before the next diff rise, meanwhile in anticipation of the next, large mining ops order more, more burn in tests, more peaks just before the change.

If you go through the Eligius contrib list, you can see this rising in hash power just before diff changes in most of the medium to larger mining operations.

20PH is alot!  I dont think any one manufacturer has that on hand right now to test.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 2242

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 09:29:09 PM

20PH is alot!  I dont think any one manufacturer has that on hand right now to test.

Agreed. 20ph would require what, 20 megawatts of power? That's kind of a lot.

1gh=1kw. 1000gh=1ph=1mw.
ElGrandJefe

Activity: 459

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 06:40:13 AM

It probably didn't (although there's no way to be absolutely certain) - the statistics of mining mean that short term huge positive and negative spikes can and do occur. There was a much bigger one a few weeks ago that had me go and look at this in a little more detail. Even over a 2 week period it's quite likely that we'll see +/- 5% changes in the difficulty even if the total hashing rate stayed the same.

I put the 2 writeups here:

http://hashingit.com/analysis/16-hash-rate-headaches
http://hashingit.com/analysis/17-reach-for-the-ear-defenders

Thanks for the links. I'm well aware of the "luck" component of mining, and I know there's a lot of statistical noise out there, but the nearly 20% drop really puzzled me.

There's no way to know the true cause, of course. Maybe Friedcat (or someone else) was testing a batch of new equipment before shipping it. Or maybe it was just a huge statistical deviation.

It particularly struck me because I've noticed that recently (meaning the last 10 or so difficulty increases) the reported network hash rate tends to peak/spike a day or two before the next difficulty increases, then drops off again - almost like some big players are trying to game the difficulty rate. The hash rate picks up again after the difficulty increase.

If that's really just statistics noise, there seems to be a fairly reliable pattern to it. But this time around the hash rate peaked around 2 days before the next difficulty adjustment and then kept dropping. It's back up to ~88 PH/s now.
davejh

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:32:06 AM

Thanks for the links. I'm well aware of the "luck" component of mining, and I know there's a lot of statistical noise out there, but the nearly 20% drop really puzzled me.

There's no way to know the true cause, of course. Maybe Friedcat (or someone else) was testing a batch of new equipment before shipping it. Or maybe it was just a huge statistical deviation.

It particularly struck me because I've noticed that recently (meaning the last 10 or so difficulty increases) the reported network hash rate tends to peak/spike a day or two before the next difficulty increases, then drops off again - almost like some big players are trying to game the difficulty rate. The hash rate picks up again after the difficulty increase.

If that's really just statistics noise, there seems to be a fairly reliable pattern to it. But this time around the hash rate peaked around 2 days before the next difficulty adjustment and then kept dropping. It's back up to ~88 PH/s now.

I'd wondered about the same thing which is why I started to look at the stats. Certainly there have been spikes just before a difficulty change, but equally well there have also been ones earlier in the cycle and 4 changes ago the hash rate hardly changed for days at the end of the cycle.

I didn't publish the numbers but I did run simulations for the variations over 24 hours. At a constant hash rate we'll see a +10% spike every 10 days and a -10% spike every 10 too. Given that during our last difficulty change we had a 12.4% difficulty change then 10% at the end of the cycle is larger (in absolute PH/s) than 10% at the start.

I found the perception of a problem tends to be emphasised by looking at linear rather than log charts. The log charts show that the magnitude of the swings is pretty constant.

https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate?timespan=1year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=1&address=

With current mining hardware it seems unlikely that anyone would build a facility that would enable short term bursts of mining - as a strategy that wouldn't make a lot of sense. Doing this would incur a lot of expense in terms of power and infrastructure and if the aim was short term gain then the hardware would be run up to the point where the difficulty changes rather than dropping off a day or a few days before.
davejh

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:01:52 AM

I'd wondered about the same thing which is why I started to look at the stats. Certainly there have been spikes just before a difficulty change, but equally well there have also been ones earlier in the cycle and 4 changes ago the hash rate hardly changed for days at the end of the cycle.

I didn't publish the numbers but I did run simulations for the variations over 24 hours. At a constant hash rate we'll see a +10% spike every 10 days and a -10% spike every 10 too. Given that during our last difficulty change we had a 12.4% difficulty change then 10% at the end of the cycle is larger (in absolute PH/s) than 10% at the start.

I found the perception of a problem tends to be emphasised by looking at linear rather than log charts. The log charts show that the magnitude of the swings is pretty constant.

https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate?timespan=1year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=1&address=

With current mining hardware it seems unlikely that anyone would build a facility that would enable short term bursts of mining - as a strategy that wouldn't make a lot of sense. Doing this would incur a lot of expense in terms of power and infrastructure and if the aim was short term gain then the hardware would be run up to the point where the difficulty changes rather than dropping off a day or a few days before.

Some follow-up analysis: http://hashingit.com/analysis/29-lies-damned-lies-and-bitcoin-difficulties
ujka

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:41:20 AM

A tip sent, for your article, time and effort to help us understand that, as you say: "what happens in the course of hour or even a few days; those numbers, tantalizing as they may seem, are largely meaningless. They are the lies among the truth that only becomes apparent over a much longer timescale.. "
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:14:57 AM

A  Big chunk of the profits being mined are re-invested into more equipment to offset the rising hashrate.  But the initial investment is not 100% recouped.

Mining bitcoins at home, for people who are capable only of low investments, is almost ended because of the small or null ROI they can have.

I disagree. at-home miners have a few big advantages:
1) free space (garage, basement, shed, etc). larger miners have rental locations and costs as such
2) "free" internet
3) 'free' wintertime heating (a large location will still be fighting to keep cool even in the winter)
4) no oversight or employee costs

IMO, mining at home can be more profitable than it is running a medium-sized farm. Ive personally had to move 8.5kW of my gear into a rental agreement to access enough power and space to run it outside the house. To go any bigger I am looking at a $500-1000/month rental elsewhere plus whatever costs are involved in adding AC/wiring/transformers to make it a useful space.

a lot also comes down to power costs, and anyone who pays less than $0.15/kWh has significant advantages over miners in many countries and US states

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
davejh

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:17:19 AM

A tip sent, for your article, time and effort to help us understand that, as you say: "what happens in the course of hour or even a few days; those numbers, tantalizing as they may seem, are largely meaningless. They are the lies among the truth that only becomes apparent over a much longer timescale.. "

Thanks  Smiley
navigator

Activity: 362

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:30:26 PM

1) free space (garage, basement, shed, etc). larger miners have rental locations and costs as such
2) "free" internet
3) 'free' wintertime heating (a large location will still be fighting to keep cool even in the winter)

IMO, mining at home can be more profitable than it is running a medium-sized farm. Ive personally had to move 8.5kW of my gear into a rental agreement to access enough power and space to run it outside the house. To go any bigger I am looking at a $500-1000/month rental elsewhere plus whatever costs are involved in adding AC/wiring/transformers to make it a useful space.

a lot also comes down to power costs, and anyone who pays less than $0.15/kWh has significant advantages over miners in many countries and US states

At least 1 person understands...
taipo

Kia ora!

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 04:16:45 AM

Bigger than the last, most likely yes. But not biggish enough to be inbolded on https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

Just checked it today, seems to have dropped significantly in the past few days.

64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:39:27 AM

2) "free" internet

Totally agree with this.

1) In most places to rent and operate in a zoned business space you need a business licence.
2) Most times you have to register with the US state tax authority. I would have no idea if BTC yields count as revenue for tax purposes.
3) Doing any kind of electrical mods, of course you need permits. If you leave the space, you will have to pay to put the space back in it's original condition.
4) Most places since you are not a retail operation, this might be something that has to be in the correct industrial zone.
5) Space lease agreements want you to sign up for at least 5 years and some sort of liability insurance maybe required.
6) Finally, industrial settings could have pretty noisy power due to electric arc welders, rf generators and big inductive loads being switched on and off.
Glizlack

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 08:49:50 AM

Until the new miners actually are released I still believe our jumps will be a bit lower than usual. I think for the next 2 months no huge increase. But thats just my opinion. When spoondolies and knc get their new miners out i think it will have a big jump but until then nothing unusual.

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: