Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:23:19 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help for a newbie  (Read 157 times)
littlepaulbr (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 04:12:45 PM

Hello!
I just bought my first bitcoins from an exchange.
Then I used bitadress to create some paper wallets to keep my BTC.
I used BIP38 to create them.
Today I transfered the minimum btc I could from the exchange to 1 of those wallets in order to test before transfering all the BTC to another wallet that is going to be my definitive one.
The problem is that now I can't transfer from this wallet because it's BIP38 encrypted and Blockchain.com site can't read this kind of adress.
I tried to use this site to Decrypt the adress but it doesn't match with the right one.
Is there another site from where I can transfer using a BIP38 encrypted key to another adress? Is there any other way for me to find the matching private key from the BIP38 key?
I hope it's not confusing questions.
Thank you
RapTarX

Activity: 1358
Merit: 850

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 04:30:22 PM

Your private key can be encrypted but your public key doesn't and this has nothing to do sending BTC in the wallet. What does your BTC addy starts with? IIRC, some of the service can't recognise native segwit addresses started with bc1.
I may get you wrong though.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6176

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 04:37:31 PM

Your private key can be encrypted but your public key doesn't and this has nothing to do sending BTC in the wallet. What does your BTC addy starts with? IIRC, some of the service can't recognise native segwit addresses started with bc1.

Bitaddress generate legacy addresses, so there should be no compatibility issues with Blockchain.com.

@OP Which site have you used to decrypt the wallet, you wrote "this site", were you still referring to Bitaddress?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
littlepaulbr (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 04:40:14 PM

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
Actually I was not being able to decrypt my BIP38 to get the private key, but now I did it using bitadress.
Thank you for trying to help!

The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 2196

Signature Space For Rent

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2020, 05:07:17 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2020, 05:29:47 PM by Coolcryptovator

Actually I was not being able to decrypt my BIP38 to get the private key, but now I did it using bitadress.
Still I am confused what does mean decrypt private keys. Did you mean you are unable to genarate private key or you didn't wrote when genarated?

Anyway I will not encourage to use paper wallet to hold your bitcoin. I will suggest to install open source wallet like electrum and verify signature. So you will have a bitcoin wallet and you will have full control of your wallet as well. More better if you could by a hardware wallet like Ledger nano if you can afford. So your fund will be more secure, otherwise electrum is best option for you. You should select standard wallet if you want to use Legacy address instead of SegWit.

There is some concern about paper wallet like there is only single address and there is no change address. So there is chance of lost your funds during make partial transaction from paper wallet and I believe you aren't even familiar with change address.

However, either you create paper wallet or electrum, you should write your seed/private keys to multiple paper and keep save them on multiple places as well to avoid further loss. Do not save your private keys and seed to any online machine.

SIGNATURE SPACE FOR RENT
RapTarX

Activity: 1358
Merit: 850

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 05:23:07 PM

Anyway I will not encourage to use paper wallet to hold your bitcoin.
I guess you are suggesting him something you must not. You know paper wallet is the best solution for holding bitcoin longterm, way much better than hardware wallet as well if one has enough knowledge and can generate paper wallet in proper way- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5198310.msg52971069#msg52971069

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2020, 05:37:28 PM

Still I am confused what does mean decrypt private keys. Did you mean you are unable to genarate private key or you didn't wrote when genarated?

Read the OP and please google if you don't understand something:
[...]
I used BIP38 to create them.
[...]

BIP38 is a way to encrypt private keys. Used for paper wallets.

Anyway I will not encourage to use paper wallet to hold your bitcoin. I will suggest to install open source wallet like electrum and verify signature. So you will have a bitcoin wallet and you will have full control of your wallet as well.
More better if you could by a hardware wallet like Ledger nano if you can afford. So your fund will be more secure, otherwise electrum is best option for you.

With a paper wallet, you are also in full control of your BTC.

Choosing a paper wallet is absolutely fine, BUT you should:
  • NOT generate it with a website (doesn't matter whether online or offline)
  • NOT decrypt that online on a website
  • understand how paper wallets and spending from them works
  • learn how to securely create and spend from them

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
May 23, 2020, 06:15:41 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2020, 06:47:45 PM by odolvlobo

The problem is that now I can't transfer from this wallet because it's BIP38 encrypted and Blockchain.com site can't read this kind of adress.
I tried to use this site to Decrypt the adress but it doesn't match with the right one.
Is there another site from where I can transfer using a BIP38 encrypted key to another adress? Is there any other way for me to find the matching private key from the BIP38 key?

Both the Samourai and Mycelium wallets on my phone can sweep BIP38-encrypted private keys. Electrum cannot. However, I'm confused about your question because Blockchain.com does support BIP38-encrypted private keys. I just tried it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: