Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:49:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptopia Judge: "1. Crypto is property 2. Even w/o keys, crypto remains yours"  (Read 1128 times)
friends1980 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

nutildah-III / NFT2021-04-01

View Profile
January 05, 2022, 05:24:45 PM
Merited by nutildah (3), JayJuanGee (2)

There ya go again. Reports are currently published only every 6 months.

Most recent report: here.

In a nutshell:

- Cryptopia Rescue case: data abuser has been found and sentenced; the fine and all costs have been paid.
- ex-employee theft: the assets stolen by an ex-employee have been recovered; the ex-employee will be sentenced soon.
- after having sent ID requests (check out my last update a few posts higher), these IDs are currently being verified. Next step will be verification of the claims of every identified user, which is scheduled for the next few months. Last step obviously will be payday. No date set yet, though.
- also reported in the previous report and still on-going: daily management investigation. No formal info yet.

So not that much new stuff to report for now.

Next report in June.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
friends1980 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2023, 01:21:33 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

The liquidators' reports are still being updated regularly. I need more time to follow-up:

https://www.grantthornton.co.nz/update-for-cryptopia-claimants-and-stakeholders-17-august-2023/

Is anyone still following this? Any of you who were affected and are participating in the distribution process?

If so, please share your experiences. These might be interesting for other forum users who were affected by other recent bankruptcies.
wallet4bitcoin

Activity: 924
Merit: 281

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2023, 04:01:23 AM
Merited by friends1980 (1)

The judges are actually right. Its like giving someont something to hold and its clear your are not selling it , neither are you using it to borrow a comodity or something in return, it doesn't become the person's own automatically, its still your private property, its just not under your custody.

Crypto been seen as a property is a step in the right direction for both crypto and the technology as its global users needs to understand the meaning of this judgement to their involvement in the crypto space
friends1980 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2024, 07:39:12 PM

The judges are actually right. Its like giving someont something to hold and its clear your are not selling it , neither are you using it to borrow a comodity or something in return, it doesn't become the person's own automatically, its still your private property, its just not under your custody.

Crypto been seen as a property is a step in the right direction for both crypto and the technology as its global users needs to understand the meaning of this judgement to their involvement in the crypto space

Exactly my point. Sure, bad luck if some faux exchange runs off with your crypto and good luck trying to get it back. That counts for every asset you own, though, be it crypto or fiat or other goods. Some people on the boards act as if crypto is a whole new dimension of property. It's not. The same (basic libertarian) rules of property apply.

And indeed, the same warning signs to be careful about whom you trust with your property apply. So indeed, "not your keys etc." counts as a very important real-life warning, but it's nonsense from a legal point of view.

And btw, here's another update on Cryptopia.

https://www.grantthornton.co.nz/cryptopia-limited/update-for-cryptopia-claimants-and-stakeholders-20-february-2024/

Is it me, or is this process taking a horribly long time before everything is distributed and liquidated? As a comparison, the whole BlockFI liquidation is almost over in about less than a year. Not sure why Cryptopia is taking so much longer. I guess the lack of KYC wasn't exactly accelerating the whole procedure either...

Too bad for the victims that prices are getting close to record highs again, only shortly after all crypto from the liquidations has been converted to fiat, at very low values...
hornetsnest

Activity: 1451
Merit: 973

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 12:33:22 AM

Is it me, or is this process taking a horribly long time before everything is distributed and liquidated?

The longer it takes the more it generates revenue for liquidator et al and they will make sure to exhaust any value leftover to secure their fees. That is their priority and then they see what's left for the creditor. This process can go on until the trust is wound up and can last years depending on the complexity of the case. Cryptopia seems to have taken a bit longer than the norm probably due to the amount of accounts there and a time threshold for holders to engage with the claims process.
friends1980 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2024, 03:23:16 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2024, 08:10:15 PM by friends1980

Is it me, or is this process taking a horribly long time before everything is distributed and liquidated?

The longer it takes the more it generates revenue for liquidator et al and they will make sure to exhaust any value leftover to secure their fees. That is their priority and then they see what's left for the creditor. This process can go on until the trust is wound up and can last years depending on the complexity of the case. Cryptopia seems to have taken a bit longer than the norm probably due to the amount of accounts there and a time threshold for holders to engage with the claims process.

That would be the easy answer but it wouldn't explain why Cryptopia's liquidators are dawdling, and BlockFI's are not.

I've come to understood understand that Cryptopia had many anonymous accounts for which (time-consuming) ID checks where were necessary, while BlockFI's clients are all KYC'ed. Sounds like a reasonable explanation.

edit: oh my gawd what horrible English, shame on me...
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: