Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:20:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if a Country were to start its own Cryptocurrency  (Read 2636 times)
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2011, 01:35:21 PM

This is like saying in the middle ages: "Democracy? An elected king whose actions can be punished by the population? Not going to happen"

You seem to think that there is such a thing as democracy or fair elections, direct representation and so on. It does not, and never was. "Punished"? When did that ever happen? And no, I don't mean small things like stealing a few millions or doing miss Lewinski... I mean people who did real damage to their country or to the world. Those who were punished (and that's already a small percentage), got punished through revolutions, which are pretty undemocratic.

I'm not particularly happy how democracy works today, I was just pointing out that is better than we had in previous times and that hasn't happen because the governments wanted it. The punishment I'm talking about is just not being elected again. For that punishment to be applied the public has to be informed (a questionable assumption) and it has to be possible for new political real alternatives to take power(another questionable assumption under western two-party systems).
Again, I was just saying that the fact that is not desirable for the government doesn't means is not going to happen. There can be pressures from the population big enough to make it unavoidable.

Certainly they would be better than with the Euro.

I completely agree with everything you said. I just don't think it's going to happen via "people wants > government provides". I find it much more probable that a private corporation will launch something like "backed bitcoins" and it will grow up to the point that it will simply replace the traditional banking system.

Sure, there's many uses for backed coins (USDcoin, EURcoin, etc) and it's likely that they will appear in a private form.

Also, I agree with freequant that this would be an opportunity for a small country. Just to attract more buyer to its currency and more innovation to the country.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 05:53:08 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2011, 09:26:39 PM by sd

IMO, It is a unique opportunity for a small nation like SeaLand.
A unique opportunity to get blown to little tiny bits maybe. SeaLand is only allowed to exist because it is inconsequential.
A unique opportunity to be remembered as a glorious king.

Do you think King Roy wants to be remembered fondly by maybe a few people more than he wants to stay alive? I'm guessing he wants the option that won't get him killed.

Countries that attempt to undermine the same banking system that allows entrenched interests to control much of the world either get destabilized until they fall apart or they get invaded. The only exceptions are tax havens and only then because the entrenched interests have loads of wealth stashed there.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: