Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:48:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The new interface in Bitcoin 0.5.0 is BAD when compared to the 0.4.0 interface  (Read 5224 times)
MysteryMiner (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 03:45:25 AM

... add Facebook support just like Skype did, so lamers can see each others bitcoin adresses and update they statuses when they send bitcoins.

That's actually a good idea.
Yes, really good for getting quantity of users to skyrocket, but quality of users will suffer. And software will be bloated. I will use alternative Bitcoin client by that time.

Reminds me funny times when unparsed php files was accidentally served by facebook and facebook lawyears treatened me despite me living in another part of the globe. Finally I did not give up and all the files are still circulating internet.
Sure, show us your mockups.  Just remember, talk is cheap and code is not.  Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will do the hard work for you and you can sit back and learn how to get what you want by whining.
Yes, I know how time consuming it is to write code compared to writing angry posts or drawing with photoshop. I only hope that my ideas will give some inspiration and as a result the client will be better for everyone of us.
Plus, as had been pointed out, the old GUI is sti available.
I know that old exe file is still there, I will even reinstall if I need to, but I prefer to run latest and greatest.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 03:49:28 AM

... add Facebook support just like Skype did, so lamers can see each others bitcoin adresses and update they statuses when they send bitcoins.

You know, as much as the thought of anything relating to social media makes me want to gag on a spoon, this is actually an excellent idea...
It's the type of shit people like me have been talking about for months...

Just no easy way to implement any of it...

Social Media shouldn't make you gag by the way...

Bitcoin can be seen as a more streamlined approach to monetizing "social media".
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 04:01:31 AM

Hmm... Sounds like bad news. I've seen Qt programs that integrated perfectly with Windows, so I was hoping that this UI would be OK, but I guess not.

It seems that everyone loves to mess up UIs nowadays. Firefox, Vuze, Windows Media Player, Windows itself, etc. I had to install 5 extensions and a theme just to get Firefox to look somewhat decent.

Looks like I'll be using 0.3.x for another year. Smiley

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 04:13:03 AM

I installed the 0.5.0 version and the user interface is total crap!

The startup splash screen is lame. The wallet in the picture is very similar to my old wallet I was using for 8 years. It was sticky, and the coins was falling out from it so I got a new one. The Splash screen for Bitcoin must be like in DC++.

The overview window does not allow me quickly view and sort the transactions, I need to click the transactions, but then the balance is not shown.

Transactions window does not show number of confirmations, I need to hang cursor over to see confirmations. The recieved payments who have no label attached to recieving adress is greyed out just like unconfirmed transactions in previous version, even if they are confirmed. The spacing is too large between transactions, the view can't show as much transactions as the 0.4.0 version could.

The connection status looks like signal indicator from old cellphone. I need to hang cursor over it and wait until I can see how much connections I got. In previous versions the number of connections was shown right away in statusbar. The same is for number of blocks.

The Address Book is unnecessary split in page Recieve coins (some stupid user might think that the Recieve Coins button is used for getting the coins) and Address book. The Adress book also have the same problem as transactions window - too much wasted space.

The intruduction of mBTC and uBTC is unnecesiary right now.

Overall the Bitcoin has taken the step that Skype made years earlier - soiling the interface to appeal to novice users also known as lamers. You make a software that even idiot can use, and idiot will be the only one who will use it.

Looking for way to downgrade and continiue using 0.4.0 on my main rig. And even the minimize to tray only works if I click Close button. The setting "Minimize to tray instead of taskbar" does not have any effect.

So, I don't have the new client, but...

I read what you said.  And I agree those sound like lame changes.

Then I read your last part about idiot usage.  If we assume that's true, then it's probably the best change to happen to Bitcoin in a while.
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 04:52:07 AM

Yes, really good for getting quantity of users to skyrocket, but quality of users will suffer.

You are more worried about the quality of the users than the bitcoin adoption rate? For serious?
Unfortunately, idiots are the primary drivers of all economies as they account for the great majority of the population.
Would you suggest we prevent people from using the USD because their IQ is too low? Talk some sense please.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 06:20:11 AM

Yes, really good for getting quantity of users to skyrocket, but quality of users will suffer.

You are more worried about the quality of the users than the bitcoin adoption rate? For serious?
Unfortunately, idiots are the primary drivers of all economies as they account for the great majority of the population.
Would you suggest we prevent people from using the USD because their IQ is too low? Talk some sense please.

I am actually quite concerned about the 'quality of users'.  Not for Bitcoin's sake, but fore the user's sake.  There are way to many sharks still, IMHO, and not enough time for the 'good' people to have proven themselves.  People getting ripped off immediately after taking an interest in Bitcoin is hardly a great way to grow the system.

I also have some concerns about certain aspects of Bitcoin.  Chiefly it's scalability under a giant waterfall of load.  I would want to see some well working implementations of some of the scaling theories before they are needed for real life.  (Though it is entirely possible that these are being worked on as I don't keep up with this stuff as much as I should.)

I think that the best trajectory is for people who have lost faith in fiat currencies drift in over a period of time.  These people will be generally better prepared to look out for themselves since it does not seem to be a high priority in the existing community.  I see no reason to get into a giant hurry about growing the system and increasing the adoption rate.  It'll happen as the actual need for the solution dictates.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 09:07:09 AM

(some stupid user might think that the Recieve Coins button is used for getting the coins)

When i opened the new client for the first time I made this mistake, I'm sure other people will as well. "Address book" in the 0.40 client clearly separates sending and receiving address.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 09:18:09 AM
Last edit: November 22, 2011, 09:29:27 AM by adamstgBit

(some stupid user might think that the Recieve Coins button is used for getting the coins)

When i opened the new client for the first time I made this mistake, I'm sure other people will as well. "Address book" in the 0.40 client clearly separates sending and receiving address.

The Dev team MUST do beta testing with us b4 releasing the next client!

i will contact Gavin shortly, i suggest you do the same, don't tell him what they did wrong... tell him why its important to do beta testing outside his the dev team b4 releasing new versions... in all honesty i don't give a fuck how long it take for the client to evolve i just NEED it to be perfect ever time

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 09:31:36 AM

Many people have missed their possibilities to beta test the client, but now they aren't missing any to complain Grin
There are many discussions with 7 RC builds ( and one completely dedicated to the GUI ), if you missed them ... it's your fault.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 02:21:14 PM

I like the new GUI although i partially agree on some points OP makes.
However, it is extremely important to make bitcoin newbie-friendly so that my grandma isn't scared away by the initial look of the interface with tons of technical information.
Some check-boxes in the settings panel should be able to fix this issue, adapt the interface to your likings.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 02:53:51 PM

Oh, I can't believe it, someone else thinks that Win32 native GUI is the best, just like I do :)
(but I know that it's not suitable for most typical plain users)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 05:14:23 PM

i will contact Gavin shortly, i suggest you do the same, don't tell him what they did wrong... tell him why its important to do beta testing outside his the dev team b4 releasing new versions... in all honesty i don't give a fuck how long it take for the client to evolve i just NEED it to be perfect ever time

Mmm... perfect software...

You notice how we aren't at Bitcoin version 1.0 yet?  That the version is "0.5 BETA" ?

If you NEED it to be perfect then you're going to be waiting forever, because no software is ever perfect.

The criteria for a new 0.something release is "Is there general agreement that it is better than the last release."

There is general agreement that the new GUI is better; the huge problem with the old GUI is we have no wxWidgets GUI programmers willing to support the old GUI. There are several people contributing patches to the new Qt GUI.

I've said it before but I'll say it again:  Bitcoin is still a high-risk, high-potential-reward experiment, and you shouldn't invest time or money that you can't afford to lose. We're working hard to make it better, but we're not perfect.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 05:31:01 PM

OP, what is wrong with you?  The new bitcoin-qt gui is freakin' amazing.  Stop nitpicking the shit out of it.  I even helped develop a tiny part of it  Smiley

Instead of whining about it on the forum, what you should do is open a github account, fork it, develop, and then send pull requests.  Much more productive doing that.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 05:41:37 PM

Many people have missed their possibilities to beta test the client, but now they aren't missing any to complain Grin
There are many discussions with 7 RC builds ( and one completely dedicated to the GUI ), if you missed them ... it's your fault.

lol +1

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 06:37:57 PM

Good points Gavin.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Bitcoin QT 0.5.0 is just AWESOME.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 07:47:46 PM

I applaud the move to Qt and wish to express my appreciation to the people who did the coding.  Let's not bash the efforts of volunteers.  Having said that, I agree that some aspects of the new GUI need a bit of work.  I think I would get rid of the "Receive coins" section and instead have sending and receiving sections in the address book.  I would also like to see a private key import feature at some point.  I agree that it would be nice to see the block count and number of connections without having to hover the mouse pointer.   Why not have a status bar that's visible from every section which has the balance, number of connections and block count?  

I'm not sure how useful the Overview section is.  What else could we put there?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 07:55:32 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2011, 08:09:30 PM by adamstgBit

Mmm... perfect software...

You notice how we aren't at Bitcoin version 1.0 yet?  That the version is "0.5 BETA" ?

If you NEED it to be perfect then you're going to be waiting forever, because no software is ever perfect.

The criteria for a new 0.something release is "Is there general agreement that it is better than the last release."

There is general agreement that the new GUI is better; the huge problem with the old GUI is we have no wxWidgets GUI programmers willing to support the old GUI. There are several people contributing patches to the new Qt GUI.

I've said it before but I'll say it again:  Bitcoin is still a high-risk, high-potential-reward experiment, and you shouldn't invest time or money that you can't afford to lose. We're working hard to make it better, but we're not perfect.

understood

sry of the mean like comment.

but i do have a point, you should pass on the new client to the people on this forum b4 sending it out to the public.

we might have SOME valid feedback.... the above comments are mostly not valid, but some have good points that should be considered.

Edit:

tell him why its important to do beta testing outside his the dev team b4 releasing new versions...

He opens threads all the time asking people to do just that before every release no need to be telling him anything like that ...

ok so you do do beta testing.... we just all missed the beta testing Tongue

well keep up the good work.

I minimize my risk by never dwling the newest client every time is come out. i wait a few weeks.

carlerha

Activity: 588

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 09:39:42 PM

OP is being just a little too nostalgic and afraid of change here. The leap to the qt-gui is great. All of the minor details that OP lists should not be taken too seriously.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 10:13:43 PM

OP, what is wrong with you?  The new bitcoin-qt gui is freakin' amazing.  Stop nitpicking the shit out of it.  I even helped develop a tiny part of it  Smiley

Instead of whining about it on the forum, what you should do is open a github account, fork it, develop, and then send pull requests.  Much more productive doing that.

+1 definitely

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: