Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:45:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: VISA & MASTERCARD blocked Russians from accessing their money  (Read 7186 times)
zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:05:07 PM

More details is here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=525168.0

I think it's good time to educate russians about the benefits of bitcoin.

I'm calling all russian speaking to start massive campaing promoting bitcoin in comments and discussions of relevant articles in russian press. May be their dumb authorities will finally realize that bitcoin is their friend.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeeSome

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:09:32 PM

One word.

BASTARDS
kolev

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

My name is Nikolay and am a webaholic.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 05:16:31 PM

More details is here

I'm calling all russian speaking to start massive campaing promoting bitcoin in comments and discussions of relevant articles in russian press. May be their dumb authorities will finally realize that bitcoin is their friend.

It's obvious that you don't understand how credit cards work. No, they didn't block heir bank accounts, they just cannot spend them using heir debit/credit cards. This hurts American and European businesses more than Russia and the Russians! Stupid Obama! Worst president ever!

Bitrated user: nikolay.
TTM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:26:42 PM

Just few banks was banned from using Visa and MC, not whole Russia. Even if all Russian bank got the ban hammer, they will never turn to Bitcoin. Russia government doesn't like things they cannot control, so it is silly to say that they will love cryptocurrency because of this event. China has decent success with their own bankcard brand - UnionPay, Russia will learn that lesson and try to do the same. Furthermore, Russian already have few good payment systems: WebMoney, YandexMoney ...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:37:55 PM

More details is here

OP please dont chinese whisper something,. (a link that leads to another link, that leads to a news media story, which has not fully quoted or shown the original source document/interview to verify)

again stop causing chinese whispers.

now to correct you. russian people can still go to their bank or to an ATM and get their money out. the only thing that has changed is that mastercard do not process transactions on retail outlets.

The bank added that its own services relating to Visa and Mastercard cards, like withdrawing cash from the bank’s ATMs works fine.

so at worse instead of handing a card over to a retail cashier the people of russia have to go to an ATM and buy stff the old way ( paper money ) until the banks issue new cards with a new processor.

so your title should read mastercard/visa have stopped processing transactions for customers in russia.

i am just thankful you are requesting others to educate, and not endorsing yourself as an educator

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
mecoin

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 05:40:34 PM

LOOOOLLLL
thanks for sharing!
another good reason for using bitcoins!

honestly this hole krim-thing is totally stupid!
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:48:04 PM

I think Obama should be careful on his moves because this will probably lead to all Russians selling their many billions of dollars.
And something tells me China will follow.

Bye bye U.S. Dollar  Kiss

EDIT: Then again maybe that's his plan to start WW3

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:57:20 PM

the bigger news still to come is pick pocketting, handbag thieves and 'stick ups' because everyone has to start carrying around lots of bank notes now instead of a card protected by a pin number

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:07:26 PM

I think Obama should be careful on his moves because this will probably lead to all Russians selling their many billions of dollars.

There's not much economic leverage over Russia by the USA because Russia imports nearly nothing from the USA.   However, the rest of Europe is dependent on Russian natural gas, and means to ship natural gas from the USA to Europe in significant quantities are years away.  The USA is war-weary, and can't make a credible military threat.  

The only tools that Obama has left to deal with the Russians are token economic sanctions.  If the issue isn't solved by next winter, I predict Europe will capitulate to Putin when it starts getting cold.

Bitcoin isn't big enough for Russian oligarchs to use to get around the sanctions.   However, it shows that VISA/Mastercard will use politics to determine the validity of transactions going through its system.   Banning Wikileaks donations was just the beginning.
zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:17:38 PM

Just few banks was banned from using Visa and MC, not whole Russia. Even if all Russian bank got the ban hammer, they will never turn to Bitcoin. Russia government doesn't like things they cannot control, so it is silly to say that they will love cryptocurrency because of this event. China has decent success with their own bankcard brand - UnionPay, Russia will learn that lesson and try to do the same. Furthermore, Russian already have few good payment systems: WebMoney, YandexMoney ...
TTM, you don't see the point.
Unlike Chinese, the Russians have had freedom to spend money abroad, till now.
I suppose that russian payment systems are worthless outside of russia and people are getting isolated from the outer world.

May be this move is even good for Russian govt as it would force their citizens to spend all the money inside the country. But people will just lose the crumbles of financial freedom they have.
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:47:05 PM

This is why adding the ability to blacklist bitcoins would be a mistake.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
crazynoggin

Activity: 176

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:07:20 PM

We do want governments to accept Bitcoin though, and to have the community actively endorsing Russians to break sanctions imposed by a lot of governments across the world would not help our ultimate goal to get Bitcoin widely adapted. Most people understand Bitcoin can be used just for this, but we as a community should avoid endorsing certain uses for Bitcoin to avoid negative hype.

Use my referral link if you want: https://primedice.com/?ref=Crazynoggin
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 11:25:25 PM

Bye bye U.S. Dollar  Kiss

EDIT: Then again maybe that's his plan to start WW3

Russia could not crash the USD even if it tried to.  In fact it looks like Russia has already sold 100 Billion in the last two weeks with little effect.  They don't have much ammo left when it comes to this move.  This will hurt them more then it hurts the USA. 

Obama or Putin could start WW3 easily either openly or secretly.  This is NOT hard to do.  A little mistake with a ship, plane, missile or sub could do it on either side.  Luckily neither of them really want it. 

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 11:30:27 PM

There's not much economic leverage over Russia by the USA because Russia imports nearly nothing from the USA.   However, the rest of Europe is dependent on Russian natural gas, and means to ship natural gas from the USA to Europe in significant quantities are years away.  The USA is war-weary, and can't make a credible military threat.  

Surprisingly the USA could actually get enough natgas to Europe if we wanted to and this would cripple Russia pretty badly.  With one year if we started now we could along with others make up for the Russian natgas by a combination of re-routing, conserving and new capacity. 

France's nuclear plants are looking pretty smart right now. 

Notanon

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:35:21 AM

Russia will probably start selling their gas and oil to China instead if the EU impose sanctions on gas supplies, as the Chinese don't seem to be in a particular hurry to introduce sanctions. So if they haven't already, they might start building a couple of pipelines into China near Harbin (one for gas, one for oil) and get their income from that instead. Aside from that, this might force the EU to ramp up energy efficiency measures in its constituent member states to counter a contraction of gas supplies that would result from this, and also increase the price of gas supplies from the North Sea and Norway in turn. The US would be eyeing off possible export deals for their shale gas, and possibly Australia as well if their LNG exports to China and the US decline as a result.

Plenty of ways things could play out, depending on key decisions.
DynamicDK

Activity: 160

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:43:11 AM

This is why we have Bitcoin!  No one to deny our transactions Smiley

http://coinbrief.net/
Digital Currency news, mining calculators, forums, and more
BTC:  1Bz95D1Jm4qmm2fTWtK3fF35FnfX4NKiyt
Sat0shiSlot

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 06:58:34 AM

VISA & MASTERCARD blocked Russians from accessing their money

As far as I read, living standards are higher in Russia, so it would make sense for the Ukrainans to want to join them. Anyway, maybe a little pain first, but it wouldn't take long until they manage just fine without MasterCard and Visa, along with their fees.
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 07:48:32 AM

They are like playing chess. Let see what is the Russia's next move to counter America's sanction.
ShitHappens

Activity: 74

“Everyone Is A Bank”

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:03:15 PM

They are like playing chess. Let see what is the Russia's next move to counter America's sanction.

I wonder what country will make checkmate? who'll be the winner and how much people will suffer from this game?

BABB          |[     BANK ACCOUNT BASED BLOCKCHAIN     ]|       Everyone is a bank
▬                       JOIN TOKEN SALE                       ▬
▬▬▬▬▬     JOIN THE COMMUNITY    |    Telegram     ▬▬▬▬▬
predic

Activity: 76

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:12:49 PM

visa and mastercard made problem for wikileaks too. don't use them, they are front business of people who are against bitcoin.

debit cards websites are companies registered in London by Lithuanians who demand from you your phone, ID and utility bill, that's enough for them to make offshore companies on your name without your knowledge and they can get a bank account and make financial crimes on your name, or they can simply sell IDs. don't give to anyone too much info.
why they need more than your ID when your local bank demands only ID?
don't use coinbase, they are NSA spying shit, they make database of people that use bitcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: