Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:20:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ultimate Mining Environment...  (Read 5246 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 06:51:34 AM

why would someone trust you with their expensive equipment?  You seem fine with screwing over your landlord so why not screw over the suckers who take you up on your offer?

They will meet me in person and know where I live and know my name.

I'm not screwing over my landlord.  He's making tons of money on the house already.  And, I'm not doing anything illegal.  I'm abiding by my lease. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 11:34:49 AM

They will meet me in person and know where I live and know my name.

I'm not screwing over my landlord.  He's making tons of money on the house already.  And, I'm not doing anything illegal.  I'm abiding by my lease. 

The way your landlord knows your name and address?  Letter of the law and not the spirit of it blah blah.  Considering the cold where you are 1 ghash is probably borderline what you can do without really screwing your landlord and needing to work out something else with the lease. 
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 01:37:16 PM

Most leases (although maybe not yours) prohibit subletting and using property for commercial purposes.  If you move any serious amount of third party hardware in there and I was your landlord I would be looking to evict you simply to save me the electrical costs.  Would be pretty easy to convince a judge you are using the basement as a commercial data center in violation of the lease.

Then again that is why I don't offer "free" utilities in any of the properties I rent.   Not so much on the datacenter angle as the "private garden" one.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 04:38:38 PM

why would someone trust you with their expensive equipment?  You seem fine with screwing over your landlord so why not screw over the suckers who take you up on your offer?

That's the best question asked so far!

Too bad it has already been answered.

I'm not screwing over my landlord.

FYI - My landlord already violates state-law heating requirements and the lease requires us to maintain the heat below the state minimum.

Keep in mind, I have no problem with this, I can always wear a sweater.  In addition, the house is long-ago paid off (it's from the 50's) and this guy is already banking by renting out this place.  It's also not the only property he leases. 
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 08:44:17 PM

FYI - My landlord already violates state-law heating requirements and the lease requires us to maintain the heat below the state minimum.

Keep in mind, I have no problem with this, I can always wear a sweater.  In addition, the house is long-ago paid off (it's from the 50's) and this guy is already banking by renting out this place.  It's also not the only property he leases. 

I hope you dont study law. If you present what you said in court, the judge will slam on you the "irrelevant" stamp.

You sounds like a dick envy the landlord for having properties to lease.

I would slap your parents across the faces for being irresponsible

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 10:26:29 PM

I hope you dont study law. If you present what you said in court, the judge will slam on you the "irrelevant" stamp.

Well, then it's a good thing for me that hypothetical propositions are also irrelevant.

But, you make an interesting point.  It actually kind of reminds me of Bitcoin and the dickishness of all its users.  How irresponsible of us to take advantage of a legal loophole which inevitably contributes to economic inflation that ALL citizens have to deal with.  And, that's not even mentioning the threat Bitcoin poses to hard-working bank executives and officials of the federal reserve.

And the part about slapping my parents...yeah that's a bit uncalled for.  Do you know what projecting is?
plastic.elastic

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 11:15:16 PM

Well, then it's a good thing for me that hypothetical propositions are also irrelevant.

But, you make an interesting point.  It actually kind of reminds me of Bitcoin and the dickishness of all its users.  How irresponsible of us to take advantage of a legal loophole which inevitably contributes to economic inflation that ALL citizens have to deal with.  And, that's not even mentioning the threat Bitcoin poses to hard-working bank executives and officials of the federal reserve.

And the part about slapping my parents...yeah that's a bit uncalled for.  Do you know what projecting is?

Oh please, thats totally called for.

You're not exploiting the loophole to help the bitcoin project, you're doing it for your own benefits... to gain money from selling the mined coins or renting your mining space. You got a nerve to even make it sounds like you're doing a good deed.

Did mommy teach you this?

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 12:15:28 AM

You're not exploiting the loophole to help the bitcoin project, you're doing it for your own benefits... to gain money from selling the mined coins or renting your mining space. You got a nerve to even make it sounds like you're doing a good deed.

So many angles to approach this from...

1)  No, I'm doing it for my benefit and for the benefit of the person who wants to mine here...like a good utilitarian.
2)  Most Bitcoiners are doing it for their own benefits.  I'd say the ones that genuinely care about the project more than the money they earn are few and far between.
3)  Not renting...helping?  Interpretive difference.  It's like carpooling...it's a win win for the 2 in the car...the toll authority and the gas companies lose (yes I know, slight difference with the lease issue  Cheesy )

Regardless, you have your golden rule and I have mine.  If I was a landlord and I didn't want to worry about it, I would simply construct a lease that prevents any issues from happening.  If I stated free utilities in my lease and someone took advantage of it to the extreme, then my bad.  I didn't think it through.  I'm assuming my landlord did think it through as that would be his responsibility.
plastic.elastic

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 01:42:10 AM

why would someone trust you with their expensive equipment?  You seem fine with screwing over your landlord so why not screw over the suckers who take you up on your offer?

Keep in mind, I have no problem with this, I can always wear a sweater.  In addition, the house is long-ago paid off (it's from the 50's) and this guy is already banking by renting out this place.  It's also not the only property he leases.  

But, you make an interesting point.  It actually kind of reminds me of Bitcoin and the dickishness of all its users.  How irresponsible of us to take advantage of a legal loophole which inevitably contributes to economic inflation that ALL citizens have to deal with.  And, that's not even mentioning the threat Bitcoin poses to hard-working bank executives and officials of the federal reserve.

And the part about slapping my parents...yeah that's a bit uncalled for.  Do you know what projecting is?

So many angles to approach this from...

1)  No, I'm doing it for my benefit and for the benefit of the person who wants to mine here...like a good utilitarian.
2)  Most Bitcoiners are doing it for their own benefits.  I'd say the ones that genuinely care about the project more than the money they earn are few and far between.
3)  Not renting...helping?  Interpretive difference.  It's like carpooling...it's a win win for the 2 in the car...the toll authority and the gas companies lose (yes I know, slight difference with the lease issue  Cheesy )

Regardless, you have your golden rule and I have mine.  If I was a landlord and I didn't want to worry about it, I would simply construct a lease that prevents any issues from happening.  If I stated free utilities in my lease and someone took advantage of it to the extreme, then my bad.  I didn't think it through.  I'm assuming my landlord did think it through as that would be his responsibility.

Has the word "inconsiderate" ever appeared to you?
You expect the landlord to have a meter in every room? What stop you from breaking in someone's house because they dont have a lock?
I bet you dont even understand the word "ethic"

And you're talking about doing a good deed.  Roll Eyes

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 03:47:50 AM

So...at this point I would assume you aren't interested?
mu50stang

Activity: 162

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 04:06:15 PM

Where in Illinois do you live.  Are you renting one of my units.  Is that why my electric bill is high. 
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 07:13:13 PM

Where in Illinois do you live.  Are you renting one of my units.  Is that why my electric bill is high. 

Haha, maybe. 
likuidxd

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 07:42:26 PM

Hold up, I'm a landlord and this is mostly the landlords fault. You never include a utility because you never know what your renter is going to do or how they live. Most include it just as an incentive to rent their unit, mistake #1.

That being said, if he has a contract/lease there is possibly a clause in there stating electricity use. If there is no cap in use or no clause, then yes, it is free electricity and is not grounds for eviction. The landlord is at fault here, though most fault should fall on the user, joint. I would be very interested to see what does happen when the landlord discovers what is going on. If your rig is open air, he can definitely boot you on grounds for a fire hazard.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 07:56:42 PM

Hold up, I'm a landlord and this is mostly the landlords fault. You never include a utility because you never know what your renter is going to do or how they live. Most include it just as an incentive to rent their unit, mistake #1.

That being said, if he has a contract/lease there is possibly a clause in there stating electricity use. If there is no cap in use or no clause, then yes, it is free electricity and is not grounds for eviction. The landlord is at fault here, though most fault should fall on the user, joint. I would be very interested to see what does happen when the landlord discovers what is going on. If your rig is open air, he can definitely boot you on grounds for a fire hazard.

Rig is not open air.

Fire hazard?  You should have heard the complaints from the housemates upstairs when the front door lock became jammed and wouldn't open.  Landlord's response?  "Well, you guys mostly use the side door anyway, right?"

We also buy our own lightbulbs, shovel our own snow, mow the lawn ourselves, etc.

There is no cap or clause in the lease.  Trust me, I read what I signed.  Only mention of anything electrically related is the max. heating temp allowed.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 07:42:48 AM

Hint, : nobody care because you have no real capacity worth advertising.

You became laughing stock right after mentioning "ultimate" and "Free", no need to elaborate.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 09:14:23 AM

Hint, : nobody care because you have no real capacity worth advertising.

You became laughing stock right after mentioning "ultimate" and "Free", no need to elaborate.

Right.

You must be the wise one on the forum, yes?

So many of you...everywhere.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 11:39:09 AM

So, you have only one room, right? Your approach doesn't make much sense except if you put a friend's rig into your place. Even then, do you have any idea how loud a rig with just multiple cards (say 3-4) can get? You will not be able to sleep in the same room. I'd also not put my head to sleep right next to my computer(s) at night for electrosmog reasons, unless you like to have really intensive dreams/nightmares.

On an upside, if it's cold down there, I see no reason why not to heat the basement with a rig or two. It will even be good for the girls upstairs because they actually will have to heat much less when the warm basement rises up. In fact, they might end up saving electricity normally used for heating and the bill will just go up a little bit.

Forget the data center idea and buy yourself a couple of used 5870s for cheap.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 05:20:39 PM

So, you have only one room, right? Your approach doesn't make much sense except if you put a friend's rig into your place. Even then, do you have any idea how loud a rig with just multiple cards (say 3-4) can get? You will not be able to sleep in the same room. I'd also not put my head to sleep right next to my computer(s) at night for electrosmog reasons, unless you like to have really intensive dreams/nightmares.

On an upside, if it's cold down there, I see no reason why not to heat the basement with a rig or two. It will even be good for the girls upstairs because they actually will have to heat much less when the warm basement rises up. In fact, they might end up saving electricity normally used for heating and the bill will just go up a little bit.

Forget the data center idea and buy yourself a couple of used 5870s for cheap.

I rent a room along with everyone else.  The rest of the house itself is "shared living space."

I sleep to heavy metal.  It relaxes me.

It's always cold down here...sweater weather.

Used 5870s require additional video card slots that my motherboard does not have.  Otherwise, this might be a better idea assuming Bitcoin's value doesn't drop off the face of the earth.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 05:47:57 PM

Actually, instead of having to invest in good sweaters to keep you warm and to enhance your way of life (how do you concentrate while working on a master's degree when you are freezing? unless you sleep in the library)

for 35 bucks I'd buy another mainboard with one pci-e 16x and at least two pci-e1x,
2 extenders from sintech (china) off ebay,
a sempron for 30 dollars,
a usb drive,
2-3 120mm fans,
a plastic shopping cart (as a case, works well)
and a good used 80+ 700W PSU

In your situation, with a limited amount of free electricitiy, it still makes sense to invest in hardware. I'm assuming the only reason why you ask others to put their equipment with you is cos you can hardly survive on what money you got and have 0$ left to invest.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 08:19:56 PM

Actually, instead of having to invest in good sweaters to keep you warm and to enhance your way of life (how do you concentrate while working on a master's degree when you are freezing? unless you sleep in the library)

for 35 bucks I'd buy another mainboard with one pci-e 16x and at least two pci-e1x,
2 extenders from sintech (china) off ebay,
a sempron for 30 dollars,
a usb drive,
2-3 120mm fans,
a plastic shopping cart (as a case, works well)
and a good used 80+ 700W PSU

In your situation, with a limited amount of free electricitiy, it still makes sense to invest in hardware. I'm assuming the only reason why you ask others to put their equipment with you is cos you can hardly survive on what money you got and have 0$ left to invest.

Bingo.

On a positive note, I consider student loans a low-risk investment.  After all, it's not my money  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: