Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:57:24 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Importance of recovery seed/private keys  (Read 860 times)
Jonyshake71

Activity: 372
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2020, 12:53:41 PM

I think anyone can trust myetherwallet & blockchain, without any doubt. Those are safe & secure.
Based on what, exactly? The fact that you haven't yet experienced a problem with them? What about the fact that blockchain.com repeatedly used the same k values resulting in over 250 BTC being stolen from their customers? What about the fact the there are countless reports of people having the accounts hacked, phished, passwords reset, and so on? What about the fact that their system is entirely closed source, meaning you have absolutely no idea how good or bad their security is, you have absolutely no idea how good their entropy generation process is, you have absolutely no idea if they have access to your seed phrase, private keys, coins, you have absolutely no idea how they are storing your coins, you have no idea who or how people have access to your data, etc., etc.

Saying they are "safe and secure" is literally nothing more than a guess, and not even an educated one at that. By using a blockchain.com wallet you are placing your complete and utter trust in total strangers. The whole point of bitcoin is to not have to trust anonymous third parties with your money.

Thank you so much for mentioning those important issues among us. Because of i haven't exprienced one of those issues, i am not aware about those problems. But after knowing those issues, now i fell afraid losing my fund
Subbir

Activity: 812
Merit: 104

🎄 Allah is The Best Planner 🥀

View Profile
June 20, 2020, 02:12:40 PM

The number of scams within the crypto market has increased such a lot that only credible wallets are being hacked So it's difficult to mention which is that the safest but if we will keep the keys of our wallet safe then the probabilities of being hacked are going to be much less. this is often why hackers will never be ready to hack our wallet if they use the 2fa code for wallet usage this may keep our money safe.

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587

View Profile
June 20, 2020, 03:23:55 PM

this is often why hackers will never be ready to hack our wallet if they use the 2fa code
I would always recommend using 2FA for all your online accounts, but there are a few caveats to your statement that 2FA will protect your wallet from hackers.

First, not all 2FA is equally secure. At the very least your 2FA should be an open source authenticator app (not Google Authenticator) such as andOTP, Aegis, or Tofu. Even better than that would be a physical 2FA key, such as a YubiKey or a hardware wallet. You should never use a code sent to you by email or SMS as your 2FA. Emails are frequently hacked, and if an attacker can access your email account, use that to reset your online account password and receive the 2FA code, then that isn't two factors that need to compromised at all. The compromise of one factor (your email account) allows an attacker to access both pieces of information for your 2FA. SMS messages are sent unencrypted, can be intercepted, and phone numbers can be transferred to another SIM with some very straightforward social engineering.

Second, if your wallet offers 2FA as discussed above, that means you are probably logging in to your wallet account,* which means it is a web wallet or an exchange. These kind of online wallets are the absolute lowest in the terms of security, and should be avoided. If you want to protect your coins from hackers, then store your keys offline on either an airgapped device or a hardware wallet.

*Unless the 2FA is a multi-sig wallet where you store your own keys but a third party co-signs your transactions.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: