Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:16:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the "US Based" exchange that everyone will be using by year's end?  (Read 729 times)
cbutters (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:13:44 PM

-I only currently know of one "new york" based exchange, Atlasats. But so far it has low volume and everyone is very skeptical of it. (Why is this?)

-ZeroBlock might be a contender, but It seems like it is only piggy-backing on outside us exchanges.

-Second Market might also be a contender, but isn't actually setup like a traditional bitcoin exchange like we think of them now, and seems to require big money to even get access.

-Coinbase doesn't do traditional exchange either, it just allows you to buy / sell into your bank account, with slow turnaround times.

Does the fabled "new york" or "us based" exchange that people will trust and use exist already or is it in the works and nobody knows who it will be?
SeaofBTC

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 06:55:46 PM

From my understanding, SecondMarket intends to make an institutional exchange, not for gen pop.

Coinbase's model is not as an exchange, and I doubt they have any intention to commit style drift.

Check out CoinMKT, coinmkt.com. They are Santa Monica CA based, have a decent reputation from previous crypto-crypto transactions, and now are supporting fiat, appearing to be going very strongly for compliance.

If their decentralized wallet structure is everything it sounds to be, and they keep building their crypto-fiat structure, I think they could easily be the top US-based exchange.

We've been eyeing them in our attempt to find a US-based exchange to run the fund on. So far, they're looking to best to me, but there will be an influx of more exchanges soon in NYC.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:00:01 PM

I would have thought we would have seen a lot more from Kraken by now. By all accounts they run an excellent platform, but they haven't done much to attract traders. There is virtually no volume.

I think they may be left behind with an exchange that has more aggressive marketing.

I think an exchange should open and do 0% trading fees for 3-6 months and they would be able to gain quick market share.

I do think that one obstacle for a US based exchange, is a lot of bitcoin traders do not trust the US government and probably are uneasy putting their money into an exchange based in the US.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:14:14 PM

Yeah, pretty much what windjc said: "US based exchange", "all of us are using" ... doesn't compute, for me at least.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
SpeculateThis

Activity: 50

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:21:22 PM

Wouldn't go as far as saying "everyone" but I personally like the underdog - CampBX.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:23:21 PM

I would have thought we would have seen a lot more from Kraken by now. By all accounts they run an excellent platform, but they haven't done much to attract traders. There is virtually no volume.

I think they may be left behind with an exchange that has more aggressive marketing.

I think an exchange should open and do 0% trading fees for 3-6 months and they would be able to gain quick market share.

I do think that one obstacle for a US based exchange, is a lot of bitcoin traders do not trust the US government and probably are uneasy putting their money into an exchange based in the US.
Check the euro volume. Kraken is the top euro based exchange, ever since the mal bullshit. They kept operating without problems throughout the whole thing, unlike many of the other exchanges.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
SeaofBTC

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 07:31:12 PM

Wouldn't go as far as saying "everyone" but I personally like the underdog - CampBX.

Last I looked at them (CampBX), there were multiple gaps for days of no trading. This was relatively recently, within a few weeks ago. I'd love to hear your thoughts on why you think they'll be around, trying to spread fund money across a range of exchanges.

I've also been looking at Kraken, they look promising to me as well besides CoinMKT.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: