Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:14:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSA] A NEW KIND OF PHISHING (HOSTJACKING)  (Read 281 times)
YourNeko (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 59

How do I change my username

View Profile
June 02, 2020, 05:48:55 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2020, 03:43:07 AM by YourNeko
Merited by DdmrDdmr (3), ABCbits (2), mk4 (1), Baofeng (1), Coyster (1), BIT-BENDER (1)

Greetings!
Recently, I have stumbled upon this concept, I have not seen any other threads warning people on this forum of this specific branch of malware and I feel that this is most certainly something everybody should be very aware of. To my knowledge there is no widespread infection from these viruses as there was for the clipboard jacker malware last year, but this is still something should know exists & how to prepare for. As with all my posts, if you have any other information regarding this, please leave a comment with it and I will append it to the original post.

What is Hostjacking?
Hostjacking is when a malicious program overwrites a critical system file known as the "Hosts" that is present on all operating systems to redirect traffic from one website to the malicious attacker's clone of that website to intercept logins and steal sensitive data. To understand how this is performed, we must first understand what the hosts file is, what it's primary functions are, and how hackers manipulate the data present in this file.

What is a host file?
A host file is a file that is present on Mac, Windows and Linux operating system file that maps hostnames to IP addresses, the standard function of these that we would see applied in less malicious circumstances are web administrators (such as at a school or university) using the hosts file to restrict access to certain websites, by making said websites redirect to 127.0.0.1 (Localhost IP address), meaning that it would be inaccessible.
An example of such mapping is as follows:
Code:
127.0.0.1 instagram.com
To put it in layman's terms, this line of code in hosts redirects all traffic when you access instagram.com to localhost, meaning you will be unable to access the original IP address for Instagram.

How do hackers access it?
The hosts file is a file of the operating system, meaning more often than not it requires that whichever program attempts to make changes to it have administrative rights, I will not detail the methodologies that people use to acquire administrative access from a user, all that is required to be known is that it is a plaintext file that hackers gain administrator privileges to overwrite with their own malicious code.

The Attack Vector
As for how this can be exploited, do remember that the IP address doesn't have to be localhost, the attack vector in this is that a malicious attacker can map a different site (lets say, binance.com) and redirect it to their own server's IP, which would contain a phishing page that imitates Binance. And rather than requiring kernel level access to evade antivirus, the malicious program used to deliver the payload would need essentially 0 complexity. The only thing that a malicious actor would need to do once you've opened a piece of their malware is to write over plaintext file, and they would instantly be able to redirect all your traffic to one site to their own malicious site. This does not even require lots of obfuscation to subvert detection by any antivirus software, the "program" could literally be a batch file that writes over the hosts file, if the user enters their admin password or provides the application with administrative access, which most installer wizards request anyway, they have full access to the hosts file, meaning they have full control over your network and where your traffic is headed towards.

I have went ahead and demonstrated this in video form by redirecting the Binance.com website to a generic DataCamp server IP address, the video is not of the best quality and you will have to put up with my insufferable keyboard sounds (I forgot to mute my microphone) until the video is fully processed and my keyboard sounds are replaced with an even more insufferable Royalty free audio track.
> DEMONSTRATION HERE <
As is visible in the video, the search bar still retained the "Binance.com" address while displaying the content of the page we set it to, since it is very difficult to tell at a glance, this becomes a very deadly attack to users who are unfamiliar with other detection methods, which I will be detailing in the next section of this post.

How to Detect Hostjack Phishing (And how to prevent it)

Checking your hosts file
Code:
Mac OSX - How to check hosts
There is a very simple way to check your hosts on MAC without actually requiring any administrative permissions

1. Launch terminal.app (You can find it by pressing CMD+SPACE and entering "Terminal"
2. Enter the following code: "cat /etc/hosts" (Remove the quotation marks)
3. Hit Enter
4. Look for any suspicious entries
Code:
Windows - How to check hosts
Blue snow has left a better method in the replies to this thread **

If you find any suspicious entries on your hosts file:

Code:
MacOSX - Removing host entries 

1. Open finder
2. In the top of the screen, click Go > Go to folder
3. Enter "/etc" (Remove the quotation marks)
4. Open the hosts file in any text editor, remove the line then save
5. Enter your admin password when prompted to by the text editor
Code:
Windows - Removing host entries 

1. Press your Windows Key
2. Type "Notepad"
3. When you see the Notepad icon, RClick > Open as Administrator
4. In Notepad, File > Open
5. Navigate to  "type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts" (Remove the quotation marks) in the File Explorer popup
6. Once the document is open, just delete the entries and CTRL+S

If you locate any suspicious entries on your host file, deleting them might not be enough, if you are absolutely certain that you didn't write the entries on to the host file, then it is very likely that your system has been compromised by a piece of malware, use a tool such as MalwareBytes to scan your system for any malware. If all scans turn up empty on multiple antivirus softwares and the host file keeps being edited to display a spoofed/separate page, it is advisable to back up your important files on a USB and factory reset your machine.

Checking the SSL certificate of the website.
If you believe that you are being hostjacked, it never hurts to check the SSL certificate of the website you believe may have been compromised. Most websites belonging to large companies such as Binance will have an SSL certificate which can be viewed by clicking the lock on the left side of the URL in your browser's navigation bar:
A Valid Certificate
You should not enter any sensitive data on any website if it does not have a valid SSL certificate, most phishing websites will display as "Not Secure" when you click the lock icon, and Hostjacked phishing sites are no exception.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blue Snow
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1022

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 07:38:02 AM
Merited by YourNeko (2)

How to Detect Hostjack Phishing (And how to prevent it)

Code:
1. Press your Windows Key on your keyboard
2. Type "cmd" until the cmdprompt option pops up, hit enter
3. Execute the command "type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts" (Remove the quotation marks)
4. It should open up your hosts file in notepad

don't work using cmd

Code:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

it's work in computer folder, paste command into search box then select notepad to execute.

YourNeko (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2020, 07:40:54 AM

don't work using cmd

Code:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

it's work in computer folder, paste command into search box then select notepad to execute.

Edited in to the OP that people should check your reply rather than doing the method I posted, thanks!

DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 10731

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 08:27:33 AM

Alas, the presence of an SSL certificate does not really guarantee anything nowadays, and although it’s absence may lead you to give it a second glance, its presence does not, unfortunately, guarantee much more that a false sense of safety:

<…>You need to carefully check the URL regardless of whether there is a padlock symbol or not. In the "old days", the absence of the padlock may have been an indicative of something, but nowadays it pretty trivial to aquire SSL at a very low cost, to the degree where its presence is not a guarantee of anything about the website you are accessing (save for the fact that the communication of the data is encrypted between your browser and the site, which is useless if the site is a phishing site).

PhishLabs, the data source behind the link in the OP,  has an update report, and now places the mark at 68% for phishing sites using SSL (see https://info.phishlabs.com/blog/apwg-two-thirds-phishing-sites-ssl-https). Although their data for some Quarters decreases in percentage, it’s fair to assume that SSL certificates is a non-trustworthy indicator on its own, and that the assumption needs to clearly be demystified.

btc_angela

Activity: 2590
Merit: 542

View Profile
June 02, 2020, 10:14:36 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2020, 02:14:01 AM by btc_angela
Merited by YourNeko (2), btc78 (1), Husna QA (1)

If I may add, for MacBook users, another option is:

After finding the suspicious link on your etc/hosts file, you can type the following command:

1. sudo nano /etc/hosts and press Return. (Nano is a built -in MacBook text editor).
2. Enter your password
3. Remove suspicious link
4. Press Ctrl-O to save

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
YourNeko (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2020, 10:17:02 AM
Merited by btc_angela (1)

If I may add on MacBook user, another option is:

After finding the suspicious link on your etc/hosts file, you can type the following command:

1. sudo nano /etc/hosts and press Return
2. Enter your password
3. Remove suspicious link
4. Press Ctrl-O to save

Was aware of this and was originally planning to add this however I felt that using a commandline interface text editor would be slightly too complex for some users so I opted to go the simple route of just manually changing it though, but for anyone else do note that this is a completely viable method of deleting host strings and you are free to use this if you wish Smiley

Husna QA
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 2853

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 10:51:03 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2023, 06:56:40 AM by Husna QA

-snip- don't work using cmd -snip-
If you want to open the hosts file using the cmd command, use the following command line:

Code:
notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
This command will open the hosts file with notepad.

libert19

Activity: 2478
Merit: 941

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 11:13:31 AM

Just to add, this also applies to android, the host file can be changed if you have root access. Another reason, why you shouldn't root your device.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 11:43:06 AM

The Attack Vector
As for how this can be exploited, do remember that the IP address doesn't have to be localhost, the attack vector in this is that a malicious attacker can map a different site (lets say, binance.com) and redirect it to their own server's IP, which would contain a phishing page that imitates Binance.
[...]

Why make things simple when you can make them complicated..

If your device already is compromised, there is no reason to additionally set up a phishing site.
You could just steal all credentials when they are being typed in.

I wouldn't afraid of this kind of phishing. If he already compromised your system, he already has access to all of the data stored on your PC and to everything you type in (i.e. login information / 2FA codes).

If your device is already compromised, you already lost. Caring about phishing in that case is the last thing you should do..

YourNeko (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2020, 12:14:49 PM

If your device is already compromised, you already lost. Caring about phishing in that case is the last thing you should do..
The idea behind malware like this is that its much more difficult to detect, both by observation and by antivirus software, hostjacking require modifies one OS file, it doesn't need to constantly run in the background, it doesn't need to launch on startup, it can literally edit the hosts file and then delete itself and the damage is already done.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2020, 12:18:34 PM
Merited by YourNeko (2)

The idea behind malware like this is that its much more difficult to detect, both by observation and by antivirus software

Trust me, it is relatively easy to create a reverse shell without triggering any AV software's static or behavior analysis.

Sure, editing one file is easier to implement, but you'd need to set up multiple phishing sites (e.g. online banking, multiple exchanges, etc.. ).
When considering the cost vs efficiency, you gain much more from simply setting up a reverse shell and extracting login details saved in a browser + recording keystrokes. With this, you gain access to every website the victim is registered with.

I am just saying, if a malicious party was able to compromise your system, you shouldn't worry about phishing attempts anymore.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: