Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 06:03:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a reality check, is an ICO right for me to fund a business?  (Read 900 times)
proparty (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2020, 11:51:27 PM

Hi Smiley I don't know where else to turn to get comments on the idea I have for a local business using an ICO to fundraise. My question is this, please bare with me..

Can you raise money with a token to fund start up costs on something that's a community project? Or a non-coin/tech related improvement?
The idea I have is to set up a collectively funded food bank/food truck that can provide one free meal a day to anyone in the city who needs it (trying to eliminate the hunger problem here in America), to keep contributions and business running, I incentivize the investors/philanthropists by giving them a partial ownership in the business via a token.

Now, let's say I offer 50% of the Marketcap of the token to the investors collectively, the more you buy the more ownership you have, and the more business we can continue to do. But with the remaining 50% I use to fund the businesses expenses, hiring employees, marketing, food, etc.
Well before I feel like I'm on to something I need someone to give me a reality check, because in my mind (based on my limited knowledge) offering tokens as say 'shares' of the company can be later cashed in as the companies Marketcap continues to expand, or as more people donate/invest.
My reality needs to be checked and that's why I'm asking you. Because if I raise say $1m to start up and use $500k to operate the business for the year and leave the $500k as the investors stake in the company does that create a problem for me as the company continues to grow? OR is that incentive of buying the token, funding food and service for hungry people, and being a partial owner with potential future profit on the right track to funding lots of future community ran programs? Is block chain even necessary?

Help me figure this out, and please give me ideas or solutions to problems I might run into. OR help point in the direction I need. OR tell me it's nuts won't ever work, be honest.
Lagduf

Activity: 1162
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 12:18:40 AM

that depends on what kind of business mechanism that you have taken it for your company.

In ICO what we are looking for is a product and this is the main thing for a company to raise the funds. Investors need a utility to be used by them for something else or generate profit to give the investors the dividend like what already given by some major platforms. They will not invest in something that will waste their time and money.

It's better for you to understand what's the ico https://www.investopedia.com/news/what-ico/

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀
█████                   ▄██▀
▀████▄       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
 ▀
█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
billionair
A TOKEN POWERED RAFFLE PLATFORM
IN THE BSC ECOSYSTEM
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
███▀ ████████████ ▀████
██  ██████▀▀▀██  █  ███
██  ████▀ ███ ▀███  ███
██  ███▀ █████ ▀██  ███
██  ███▄ █████ ▄██  ███
██  █████ ▀▀▀ ████  ███
██  ██████████████  ███
███▄ ████████████ ▄████
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▄███████▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄
█████▀  ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄▄  ▀███████
█████  ▀▀▀              ▀▀▀  █████
███                            ███
██                              ██
██        ████      ████        ██
█        ██████    ██████        █
█         ████      ████         █
█                                █
█      ▀▄▄              ▄▄▀      █
██▄      ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀      ▄██
███▄▄      ██████████      ▄▄█████
███████▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄█████████
▀████████████████████████████████▀
JOIN AIRDROP
bhadz

Activity: 2450
Merit: 566

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2020, 12:35:59 AM

You didn't mention how you're going to do business with your startup. It looks not even a business at all if you're feeding people one meal a day, this looks more of a charity and investors that will put money into your startup will get ownership and how they'll make money from that? there's no clear business model that you're actually doing including the marketing and hiring of employees. Most of things that you have mentioned were all cash-out flow and the only cash in flow is the investors money.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
tsaroz
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1069

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2020, 12:58:30 AM

You didn't mention how you're going to do business with your startup. It looks not even a business at all if you're feeding people one meal a day, this looks more of a charity and investors that will put money into your startup will get ownership and how they'll make money from that? there's no clear business model that you're actually doing including the marketing and hiring of employees. Most of things that you have mentioned were all cash-out flow and the only cash in flow is the investors money.

I think he meant to do a charity.
I'd not recommend charity to use ICO as a fundraiser as they have their own costs involved and there's about no use of coins and no use of offering the coins. That sort of charity should come up as a charity that may also take crypto donations. If available, you could also provide your info and ask for donation in Gofundme, which is a better platform to get charity.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
bhadz

Activity: 2450
Merit: 566

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2020, 01:03:55 AM

I think he meant to do a charity.
I'd not recommend charity to use ICO as a fundraiser as they have their own costs involved and there's about no use of coins and no use of offering the coins. That sort of charity should come up as a charity that may also take crypto donations. If available, you could also provide your info and ask for donation in Gofundme, which is a better platform to get charity.
I don't think so. You can't make money with charity unless you're just doing it with that intention. He mentioned startup so basically, there's a business that actually lies with his question and description. Whether he do charity or not, there's always a cost to develop his own coin because most projects hire developers that will create their token through their chosen chain. I hope that op will answer it and show his business idea if it's not a charity type.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
michellee

Activity: 2800
Merit: 843

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 01:34:50 AM

I am not sure if ICO is the right one for you or not because the era of ICO almost ends or even it's ending. I think you can explain your plan to your investor, but in this situations, that won't be easy to gain trust from the investor because they will think that the project will not work well like before. Maybe you need to run your project first and continue with step by step of your plan, so your investor will see that your project is serious with the idea, and you want to make the project success in the long term.

MUG1WARA

Activity: 1008
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 03:55:09 AM

ICO is not a good choice for your project but if you have something tangible to be seen by investors maybe some investors will support your project in running an ICO

ice18

Activity: 2492
Merit: 542

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 04:27:53 AM

Most ICO investors today prefer a technology related startups that can operate online to make the world a better place wireless, trustless and most importantly decentralized I dont think they will trust to put a huge money to an idea like yours, what if you did not manage it well and went bankrupt? I recommend a bank loan or a venture capitalist in your area to fund your business if you really determined to do this then you can do it. 

Blue_oxen

Activity: 515
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 05:12:46 AM

Most ICO investors today prefer a technology related startups that can operate online to make the world a better place wireless, trustless and most importantly decentralized I dont think they will trust to put a huge money to an idea like yours, what if you did not manage it well and went bankrupt? I recommend a bank loan or a venture capitalist in your area to fund your business if you really determined to do this then you can do it. 
True! Most of the traders nowadays don't believe in any ICO projects since there were too many scammed one in the past. Furthermore, by launching ICO but there is nothing you can provide to attract investors, you will not receive a lot of investment! His recommend above are more relevant for your situation!

bgaf

Activity: 644
Merit: 257

Worldwide Payments Accepted in Seconds!

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 05:24:36 AM

I think you wanna say its a charity project where the goal is simply to collect money right? The objective fund is not possible if you can secure and make sure that you are really doing a project that beneficial to those who are in need. But this is not easy you know, cause no one will be interested on a charity case project that they will not get any benefits at all. Think about it, you will raise fund right? How do you think investors will invest on that if they can get some profits out if it. Its not that because its charity type but you should consider also how the platform will work for them too.
Akiko

Activity: 896
Merit: 198

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 07:02:40 AM

Not a good way you are the only one who will benefit from it once you start your business . You never mention how's your plan to add value of the tokens they are investing you don't even say how will you manage to give back to investors the interest they should have trusting you with the money.

Having a tokens as share is not enough since there is no real use of that tokens so its not worth it to exchange their money.  then you as project owner will have your own business  while investors will only have shitty  tokens.

Pumuckel21

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

Empowering crypto w/ sustainable energy

View Profile
June 11, 2020, 09:51:32 AM

So in the investors will only own tokens and not directly a part of your company, which is a big difference. Therefore you must add good value to your token, cause otherwise, it  would be useless to invest in the token than directly in your company.

▄█▄▀█████████████▀ ▐
     ▄███▄▀███████████▀ ▐ ▐
    ▄█████▄▀█████████▀ ▐ ▐ ▐
   ▄████████ ███████  ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
  ███████████        ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
 ███████████          ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
███████████            ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
 ███████████          ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
  ███████████        ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
   ▀████████ ███████  ▐ ▐ ▐ ▐
    ▀█████▀▄█████████▄ ▐ ▐ ▐
     ▀███▀▄███████████▄ ▐ ▐