Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:21:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining in personal desktop?  (Read 381 times)
KenshinKen (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 03:54:40 PM

Hello, everyone! I just wanted to ask. If it's really possible to mine some coins while playing games at the same time? My personal desktop has this specs. I'm kinda new when it comes to 'mining', I am using 2 GTX 1080 TI SLI, photos attached below. It would be totally great earning some digital money while enjoying the rest of the game. Suggestion is highly appreciated, please do enlighten me.

https://imgur.com/LJuiPSh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2020, 04:47:54 PM

You have a very powerful PC, you can mine with both 1080ti cards, and with your CPU too, this threadripper is awesome

I suggest you to download nicehash first, and mine with the app they provide, it's easy to start and you will mine with GPU + CPU

https://www.nicehash.com/download-center

You can decrease the power limit of your 1080tis because this card is a very power hungry, I suggest you to see on youtube a good overclock and undervolt to achieve maximum efficiency

But about the question of Gaming + Mining at the same time, no, you'll not do this at the same time, because both situations will consume resources of CPU + GPU, and will cause crash, freeze screen etc
Only with some very light games you can use at the same time of mining, but will cost resources too, decreasing the hashrate of mining and FPS when you are playing

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
Furryball

Activity: 490
Merit: 19

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 04:54:23 PM

Then be ready for some crashes on your PC, you can't mine and do video gaming at the same time, not even watching videos on your PC can work, when you mine the miner will use all available CPU and GPU power

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
specumining

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

Crypto Miner and Crypto Enthusiast!

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2020, 05:11:11 PM

You can mine and play games at the same time. I do it all the time.

Just set the miner to use 1/2 the power when you are gaming.

KenshinKen (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 06:06:18 PM

You have a very powerful PC, you can mine with both 1080ti cards, and with your CPU too, this threadripper is awesome

I suggest you to download nicehash first, and mine with the app they provide, it's easy to start and you will mine with GPU + CPU

https://www.nicehash.com/download-center

You can decrease the power limit of your 1080tis because this card is a very power hungry, I suggest you to see on youtube a good overclock and undervolt to achieve maximum efficiency

But about the question of Gaming + Mining at the same time, no, you'll not do this at the same time, because both situations will consume resources of CPU + GPU, and will cause crash, freeze screen etc
Only with some very light games you can use at the same time of mining, but will cost resources too, decreasing the hashrate of mining and FPS when you are playing
Would it be really possible to set the hash rate into 1/2 of it power consumption? And set my video game into lowest quality to achieve high frame per seconds? Multi-tasking at the same time, probably. Mining - DotA - Browsing one at a time.
KenshinKen (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 06:16:23 PM

Then be ready for some crashes on your PC, you can't mine and do video gaming at the same time, not even watching videos on your PC can work, when you mine the miner will use all available CPU and GPU power
Will it affect my GPU/CPU lifespan? Is it necessary to run the desktop 24/7 without shutting down? Just pretty curious.
JayDDee

Activity: 1386
Merit: 220

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 06:23:50 PM

Will it affect my GPU/CPU lifespan? Is it necessary to run the desktop 24/7 without shutting down? Just pretty curious.

Of course it will, just like driving your car 24/7 with the pedal to the floor.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 03:18:03 AM

This only works with certain games and certain algos, if he is playing some memory intensive game and mining something memory intensive then it will not work. Some lite gaming is fine with reduced hashpower however given the amount of hours that people game its just better off to disable mining completely while gaming and just re-enable it after they are done.

This is true however the average lifespan of a GPU is probably at least 5+ years, usually the hardware gets obsolete. The fans are the most common failure points.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2020, 10:35:46 AM

This only works with certain games and certain algos, if he is playing some memory intensive game and mining something memory intensive then it will not work. Some lite gaming is fine with reduced hashpower however given the amount of hours that people game its just better off to disable mining completely while gaming and just re-enable it after they are done.

This is true however the average lifespan of a GPU is probably at least 5+ years, usually the hardware gets obsolete. The fans are the most common failure points.

Absolutely, the fans might die 'sooner' if you mine with them, but they should be fine for many years, even running 24/7. The trick to doing what you ask is to tune your desktop so that mining isn't using all the available resources. This might be more hassle than it is worth though, and may well result in slower browsing - gaming will suffer too. The easiest thing to do is just mine when you're not gaming...

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
bakasabo
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1178

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 10:47:43 AM

Sorry to interrupt, but what is the amount you expect to earn while gaming/mining ? I'm far from mining, but I have a feeling, that if you play like 4-6 hours a day, mining cryptocurrency for 4-6 wont bring you much. You wont even recapture costs of electricity spent during playing (if you plan to "play for free"), and chances of killing your hardware a much, much higher than just playing all day long.

Which games people play nowdays? Fornite, PUBG, Dota2, CS:Go, GTA5, some MMORPG probably. These kind of games "eat" lots of resources of your PC, and parallel mining will turn your PC into calculator. Of course you turn graphics on low and play 10-20 FPS, but believe me, you wont get any pleasure or entertainment from it, nor will get any earnings.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
rikuu

Activity: 102
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 11:19:31 AM

You can't control how many resources a give GPU task consumes. GPUs act like a single processor (like having a CPU with just 1 core and 1 thread). If you make the GPU execute any task, it will use it fully.
Since you have 2 GPUs in your system, if you want to keep playing games while mining, the most reasonable thing would be to disable SLI (this is important) and tell the mining software to use only the secondary GPU while you use your primary GPU to play games. You can then mine with both GPUs when you are no longer playing.

GPU mining consumes almost no CPU, so you don't need to limit the CPU usage it in any way, but it may also use a lot of RAM, so keep an eye on your RAM usage. If you ran out of RAM and start swapping (moving RAM data to hard drive) the whole system will be heavily affected (both mining and gaming).

GPU mining has diminishing returns against power consumption, so it is advisable to limit the GPU power to, for example, 65% (with a program like MSI afterburner). That way you will degrade much less your GPU without loosing too much mining speed. Your room will also be cooler and the computer will generate less noise.

If you pay for electricity, take that into account when calculating how much money you will be making (Spoiler: it won't be much).
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2020, 01:11:02 PM

What's your electricity rate?
If you pay USD 0.10c kWh or less you can simple let your PC mining 24h, and just turn off the miner when you'll play, simple like that

Forget the idea of Gaming and mining at the same time, and it does't worth to mine only a few hours a day, if you want to go deep on hardware lifespan you'll find that run hardware 24h without stop it's better than turn on and off everyday

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
KenshinKen (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 01:29:52 PM

Absolutely, the fans might die 'sooner' if you mine with them, but they should be fine for many years, even running 24/7. The trick to doing what you ask is to tune your desktop so that mining isn't using all the available resources. This might be more hassle than it is worth though, and may well result in slower browsing - gaming will suffer too. The easiest thing to do is just mine when you're not gaming...

Does fan might die sooner even I'm running a fully-air-condition room? I'm still gathering ideas & whereabouts before I start mining my personal desktop.
rikuu

Activity: 102
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 02:27:57 PM

Does fan might die sooner even I'm running a fully-air-condition room? I'm still gathering ideas & whereabouts before I start mining my personal desktop.

That depends on the bearing type of your GPU fans. If they have, for example, double ball bearings and you run them at ~40% without any dust, you should be fine for many years.

Brand-wise, Gigabyte and Asus tend to have the worse fans
KenshinKen (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 02:39:59 PM

That depends on the bearing type of your GPU fans. If they have, for example, double ball bearings and you run them at ~40% without any dust, you should be fine for many years.

Brand-wise, Gigabyte and Asus tend to have the worse fans
Alright, thank you everyone for the enlightenment! I do really appreciate it all. Gotta lock this thread, Godspeed!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: