Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:31:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Registering a MSB in Quebec, Canada  (Read 310 times)
Novarack (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 09:22:39 PM

Is there anyone i can hire to help me fill the paperwork to become a MSB ?

This is all really complicated, so i don't want to mess anything and be in legal trouble.
I just want to sell bitcoins on localbitcoins & paxful via Interac & bank transfers.

I've done the first step and already have a NEQ.
Step 2 is harder..

I tried filling the paperwork to become a MSB, but cryptocurrency isn't even an option on the documents.
My choice : "Currency exchange", "Cheque cashing", "Funds transfers", "Issue or redemption of traveller’s cheques, money orders or bank drafts".
The license application i found was on the AMF's website under money services.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Novarack (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 11:42:57 PM

I've left messages to a bunch of small business lawyers in my province.
Let's see if anything comes out of it.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
June 19, 2020, 12:14:14 AM

According to what I can find, Canada treat cryptocurrency as if it's a commodity (for some reason) so it's probably best to take it up with those lawyers or ask them for (probably paid) advice on whether you need to file for a license or not (I was under the assumption a lot of places don't thoggh so it'll be interesting to find out if you do)...
Novarack (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2020, 06:30:26 PM

Got a call from a lawyer that specialize in business, commercial and corporate law.
I think it would be best if i hired a blockchain lawyer like Stikeman Elliott or Montreal Tech Lawyer.
We'll see if i get a call from them.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2020, 08:06:32 PM

Got a call from a lawyer that specialize in business, commercial and corporate law.
I think it would be best if i hired a blockchain lawyer like Stikeman Elliott or Montreal Tech Lawyer.
We'll see if i get a call from them.

If they're able to accept liability for their work then youll probably be fine going with them. They'll likely be insured if they mess up and you'll be able to claim off that any damages you have if necessary. You could wait it out a bit but I wouldn't leave a lawyer waiting too long it probably isn't a dissimilar asset from what they're used to if they've dealt in the financial industry.
Novarack (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2020, 10:04:25 PM

You could wait it out a bit but I wouldn't leave a lawyer waiting too long it probably isn't a dissimilar asset from what they're used to if they've dealt in the financial industry.

I'll wait until Monday and if no one else came forward I'll interview her to make sure this isn't her first rodeo.
I'm sure she can do a good job and get me where i need to be, but maybe a blockchain lawyer could get me there faster.

I also received a very interesting email from the AMF : "Note that buying and selling crypto assets peer to peer (therefore, from one individual to another) is generally not subject to the Securities Act or the Money Services Business Act. It is still important to make sure of this and to consult a lawyer, if necessary, to make this determination.".

Kinda strange considering all the big players on localbitcoins in Canada are registered as an MSB. (Maybe they operate bitcoin atms too ?)
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2020, 10:56:10 PM

I'll wait until Monday and if no one else came forward I'll interview her to make sure this isn't her first rodeo.
I'm sure she can do a good job and get me where i need to be, but maybe a blockchain lawyer could get me there faster.

I also received a very interesting email from the AMF : "Note that buying and selling crypto assets peer to peer (therefore, from one individual to another) is generally not subject to the Securities Act or the Money Services Business Act. It is still important to make sure of this and to consult a lawyer, if necessary, to make this determination.".

Kinda strange considering all the big players on localbitcoins in Canada are registered as an MSB. (Maybe they operate bitcoin atms too ?)

Yeah a few days shouldn't make too much difference. And yeah I didn't think you did but you might do.. And they could just be covering themselves in case they're considered a business as itll have some advantages (eg they're forced to separate their own and company funds)...
They might also have msb licensing to make themselves look a bit more serious but I don't know if thst would work or not if someone else still had a competitive rate...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: