Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:40:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help recovering lost funds (formal title:this is madness)[solved]  (Read 1168 times)
gustav (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:35:05 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 08:16:40 AM by gustav

A friend of mine lost millions of reddcoin because he sent it to a redcoinadress (to red not redd)

Now i lost an amount of bitcoin because i accidentally sent them to a btc-s adress

Guys, we can't work like that. Contributing to the problem that you can send coins to adresses with the same number or letter in the beginning is that those adresses are listet next to each other on exchange. I think this is a problem and it will happen to a lot more people if nothing is done to prevent this.
delphs

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:37:30 AM

I call bullshit on this, no offense but you can't send from a wallet to a different coin address, your wallet will reject it before even submitting it

BTC: 1JB4Gq82DM3WUsdkU3TPzU2haFbxCJgJss / WC: WT8gbDPdQUcjDq6gWg9N7w3q4AazUAy3g7 / WDC: WkzvC4YVC3nCzDW9BhFLtWk7YJhtgXQR6G / Addie: delphs Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=397706.0
gustav (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:41:41 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 01:52:32 AM by gustav

I call bullshit on this, no offense but you can't send from a wallet to a different coin address, your wallet will reject it before even submitting it

that is exactly not the case. Btc-s adresses beginn with a '1' same as btc adresses do and it is possible to loose coins in this way since same adresses exist in both networks. Your client doesn't reject it.

Reddcoin and redcoinadresses also beginn with an 'R' each so same adresses exist in those networks.
Go try it out yourself if you don't believe me.

edit:
i think there is potential to loose a large amount of coins with just a little bit of innatention. also i am not a stupid guy and also not particularly negligently so i think this mistake could happen to a lot of people with a lot of coins over time.
lamontweaver

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 02:31:20 AM

Money disappears
into thin air
When you don't
 take care.

gustav (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:02:04 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 03:51:10 AM by gustav

wait a moment!
I think the same btc-s and btc publicadresses could have the same privatekeys. Am i right?
So i could go and recover the lost funds since i would have the privatekey for that btc-adress? Can someone confirm or is this not the case?
flounderella

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:49:48 AM

Well on the bright side, lost coins are like a donation you are making to the rest of the community, in Satoshi's words.
BulletProof_za

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:18:32 AM

that is exactly not the case. Btc-s adresses beginn with a '1' same as btc adresses do and it is possible to loose coins in this way since same adresses exist in both networks. Your client doesn't reject it.

Reddcoin and redcoinadresses also beginn with an 'R' each so same adresses exist in those networks.

Again pay attention.

Again that solves the problem 100%

You sound more like a victim looking for a cause more than anything else.

~BCX~

Or a hand out !
seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:45:16 AM

edit:
i think there is potential to loose a large amount of coins with just a little bit of innatention. also i am not a stupid guy and also not particularly negligently so i think this mistake could happen to a lot of people with a lot of coins over time.

Fixed your post for you.
gustav (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 05:20:29 AM

so i don't get an answer for the last question. Instead i am insulted? What a joke. Sorry for being not native to english ... nice community you have here.
BulletProof_za

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 05:26:18 AM

edit:

Nope I fixed it Grin Grin Grin

!Bullet!
risktaker

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 05:30:47 AM

A friend of mine lost millions of reddcoin because he sent it to a redcoinadress (to red not redd)

Now i lost an amount of bitcoin because i accidentally sent them to a btc-s adress

Guys, we can't work like that. Contributing to the problem that you can send coins to adresses with the same number or letter in the beginning is that those adresses are listet next to each other on exchange. I think this is a problem and it will happen to a lot more people if nothing is done to prevent this.

Losing your money sucks, but the whole point of cryptocurrencies is that you are responsible for your coins no one else. I think there is a beauty in being able to fuck up your money and learn from that mistake, rather than have someone else fuck up your money and you have to live with the consequences.
gustav (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 05:36:46 AM

oh man, the question i was asking now is if a public adess in the btc-scrypt-network would have the same privatekey as the exact same public adress in the bitcoin sha256 network. If you can't answer that question or if it is beyond your horizon to even understand what is asked please don't write anything at all. Thank you. Can someone please just answer that question or tell me why it is not so? Would be much appreciated.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 05:45:02 AM

If they both use the same addressing scheme then yes of course.

DeVCoin deliberately uses the same addresses as bitcoin precisely so you can send people devcoins to their bitcoin donation address and simply by exporting the privkey from their bitcoin wallet to their devcoin wallet they can access the coins.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
gustav (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 05:54:06 AM

If they both use the same addressing scheme then yes of course.

DeVCoin deliberately uses the same addresses as bitcoin precisely so you can send people devcoins to their bitcoin donation address and simply by exporting the privkey from their bitcoin wallet to their devcoin wallet they can access the coins.

-MarkM-

brilliant! Thank you! I would think that that is the case for btc-s then. I already mailed to the exchange if they could hand me out the privatekey for the btc-s adress so i could recover the 'lost' funds. Let's hope they give it to me and it works. If so a lot of people could be happy including that friend of mine who supposedly lost his redd.
... it would mean a lot of 'lost' funds aren't lost at all... for some things you really need a hero-member ...
gustav (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:59:11 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 11:53:50 AM by gustav

i made a bit of research and i just found out btc sha256 and btc scrypt are crosscompatible and you can even open a btcs wallet in a bitcoin sha256 client ... so my fund are not lost. In fact i could use just one wallet.dat to store btcscypt and btcsha256, both coins on it... and as it seems also devcoins. Mind succefully blown.

samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 07:38:13 PM

i made a bit of research and i just found out btc sha256 and btc scrypt are crosscompatible and you can even open a btcs wallet in a bitcoin sha256 client ... so my fund are not lost. In fact i could use just one wallet.dat to store btcscypt and btcsha256, both coins on it... and as it seems also devcoins. Mind succefully blown.

Coin addresses generally have nothing to do with the algorithm used to mine the coin so in theory you can use the same raw key in multiple coins and get the same address if the prefixes used in address creation and wallet export are the same, however getting at the raw key is not so easy and is encumbered by the WIF private key dump process which also adds a separate prefix. If the coin uses the same prefix as another coin then the end address will be the same.

There are a couple of exceptions to the above rule but in general the raw private key is converted to an address using the process outlined here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_version_1_Bitcoin_addresses

If the prefix in step 2 (0x04) is the same in the coin then the address will be the same across coins. 0x04 is for Bitcoin.

The wallet import format also differs between coins so you may need to get the raw key depending on the coin and what prefix it uses for WIF creation during key dumping. More information is available here : https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet_import_format
To create a WIF encoded key for Bitcoin you prepend 0x80 in step 2 in the above link, this may (most likely does) vary between coins.

So if the prefixes are the same when converting a raw private key to an address the end address should be identical no matter what coin you're talking about. If the key->address prefix is the same but the WIF encoding prefix is different then you will need to take that into consideration and extract the raw key from the WIF key before recreating a new WIF key.

You need to examine the source code for your coin to determine the prefixes used in address creation and WIF key creation to see if they match. If they don't then you can still convert the WIF to raw bytes and recreate the new WIF to import using the correct prefix.

Make sense ?

I suggest just importing whatever keys you can get your hands on, if doing that adds a different address to what you expect then look into converting the WIF key to raw bytes and then back into the correct format for the target coin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: