Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:41:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you explain BTC to a friend or family member that has no idea?  (Read 1724 times)
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 09:48:22 PM

pull out your iphone and pull up a youtube video of someone who actually can explain it

rhj12345

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:21:06 PM

I have spent the last 18 years as a computer consultant doing work for all kinds of companies. Here is one thing I find to be the most frustrating thing about my job, there is no hope for some people when it comes to technology. The fact is; there are some people (mostly women) who just don't get it or can't grasp it for whatever reason.

These are the same people who when I am helping them over the phone or even at their desk say things like "When you say click, is that a left click or right click" or "Turning the computer off is this button right here on the monitor right?" or "I love having this coffee cup holder (DVD drive) in my desktop computer".

You will NEVER explain it to these people and they will never get it. Just a fact of life.

Just tell them to find a financial adviser, invest in gold and pay of there debt, and move on, you will find less stress if you do.

Rob Cool
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 10:50:09 PM

On a serious note , the way I convince most of my friends to join it is by telling them how they can reap profits from the system rather than convincing them that Bitcoin is a better financial system xD
I disagree strongly with this view, I think educating them on WHY Bitcoin is a better way to do money is MUCH more important than telling them "you'll make lots of profit!", especially given Bitcoin's volatility.

Otherwise they may end up buying in right before a big crash, and then they'll resent you because they have no understanding of how irrelevant fiat price fluctuations are, at this early stage.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
MCXI

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:21:50 PM

"Bitcoin, the currency outside the grasp of the evil oligarchy banking cartels". Bitcoin represents an idea, that idea is a zero ruling authority.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:31:23 PM

You could always say, "let me borrow a $20." Then tell them that you can move away or travel anywhere in the world and repay your debt in BTC nearly instantly for only a few pennies using a device connected to the internet. Explain that BTC is superior when compared with driving to the nearest bank and paying for an international wire, mailing a check, or any other current method... Also explain that it can't be counterfeit, and it's safer to use than any other financial system.

Then explain that it's easy to use, merchants profit from it, it's better for small business because a few % added to the bottom line could go a long way, and you don't risk your identity online by using it as an online payment.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:40:50 PM

I would not, they don't pay attention or think it is bullshit. However i was suprised that i met two friends yesterday that know nothing about computing, and they were excited about having a few satoshis in their smarphone wallet they earned in a faucet.
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:12:50 AM

I'd recommend having them start with this video instead (Erik Voorhees' "Bitcoin as Money" talk). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2YllvbJo6g

It's much more important to understand the why of Bitcoin (i.e., why a decentralized, digital currency is useful) than it is to understand  how bitcoin achieves that result.  People use technology all the time without understanding how it works, but they can usually appreciate why it's useful / valuable. 

I've also gotten some pretty good feedback on my standard explanation:

The reason it's so hard for most people to understand Bitcoin is that most people don't really understand money. Money isn't wealth. It's an accounting system used to facilitate the exchange of wealth. (The paradox of money is that while everyone wants it, no one actually wants it - they want the stuff they can buy with it!) Many people are put off by the fact that bitcoins are "just data." But that's what ALL money is, information! More precisely, money is a means for credibly conveying information about value given but not yet received (or at least not yet received in a form in which it can directly satisfy a person's wants or needs).

To put it yet another way, money is a ledger. With fiat currencies like the dollar, that ledger is centralized. And that gives the central authority responsible for maintaining that ledger tremendous power -- power that history has proven will inevitably be abused. With Bitcoin, the ledger is decentralized. And that means that no one individual or entity has the power to arbitrarily create new units (thereby causing inflation), freeze (or seize) your account, or block a particular payment from being processed. We've had decentralized money before. After all, no one can simply print new gold into existence. And the "ledger" of gold is distributed because the physical gold itself (the "accounting entries" in the metaphor) is distributed. But with gold, that decentralization comes at a heavy price (literally). The physical nature of gold makes it hugely inefficient from a transactional perspective.

Enter Bitcoin.

It is the first currency in the world that is BOTH decentralized AND digital. It is more reliably scarce than gold (it is mathematically-guaranteed that no more than 21 million bitcoins will ever be created), more transactionally efficient than "modern" digital banking (Bitcoin enables nearly-instantaneous, nearly-free transfers of value to anyone, anywhere in the world) and enables greater financial privacy than cash. It could certainly still fail for one reason or another, but if it doesn't, it has the potential to be very, VERY disruptive.
E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:25:03 AM

Well that's the hardest thing to do and I haven't veen able to do that successfully yet. My parents thinks its a kind of buying and selling of shares I do and my friends think I doing something wrong and I might get caught one day  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
seafarer124

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:22:03 AM

What I find difficult to grasp is people believe what they are fed by the TV news reports and newspapers.  In most cases the media does not have an ounce of truth.  

Many don't believe in themselves and want to be controlled by the state.  Freedom is something we should all want, sadly, it is not the case.

Strangely, humans will believe a politician or banksters before they believe in their own family.

Just because somebody has multiple degrees does not make them smarter, just proves they can study.

There are many educated fools around.

Bitcoin has given new hope, we don't need the fools.

predic

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:24:36 PM

you must be patient with people, not all people accept new ideas in 5 minutes.
just give them information from time to time, after 2-3 months they can try to use it.

debit cards websites are companies registered in London by Lithuanians who demand from you your phone, ID and utility bill, that's enough for them to make offshore companies on your name without your knowledge and they can get a bank account and make financial crimes on your name, or they can simply sell IDs. don't give to anyone too much info.
why they need more than your ID when your local bank demands only ID?
don't use coinbase, they are NSA spying shit, they make database of people that use bitcoins.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: