Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 04:47:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do i keep hearing "btc mined out of thin air" ? thus the price must go down  (Read 1869 times)
seriouscoin (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:03:28 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 06:38:24 AM by seriouscoin

Do the dumbfcks know how much it cost to mine btc?

If what they said is true, btc would never have any value and the price is 0 isnt it?

Here are some facts for those dumbfcks.

Buying a mining gear at current exchange rate, you will have very little chance to BREAK EVEN

Go check in mining section, price the current mining gear in BTC and calculate with conservative difficulty increasing rate and see for yourself.

If you're lucky and break even, your mining gear will use more in electricity than the cost of btc very soon after.

Remember all these didnt take into account the time and effort you have to spend to operate the mining operation.

What does this tell you? If you want to get some btc, the best way is to buy btc and spend your time doing something more profitable.

I'm just sick of the stupid "create btc out of thin air" argument.

Chao.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3984

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:36:01 AM

A perfect message to Winkelvii and Silbert. Miners should form a real guild and stop dumping all coins on the market.
I am not selling coins that I am mining.
Bitcoin BEAR

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:06:41 AM

If what they said is true, btc would never have any value and the price is 0 isnt it?

Buying a mining gear at current exchange rate, you will have very little chance of BREAK EVEN

Go check in mining section, price the current mining gear in BTC and calculate with conservative difficulty increasing rate and see for yourself.

If you're lucky and break even, your mining gear will use more in electricity than the cost of btc very soon after.

Remember all these didnt account the time and effort you have to spend to operate the mining operation.

What does this tell you? If you want to get some btc, the best way is to buy btc and spend your time doing something more profitable.

Chao.

Sounds like a terrible business plan!
A mining rig should not pay itself off in weeks or even months. No business would ever expect to pay off the "tools of the trade" in such a short time frame. So why should Bitcoin mining be any different?

A perfect message to Winkelvii and Silbert. Miners should form a real guild and stop dumping all coins on the market.

Is that so yours can be worth more?
Mining with ASIC is pretty cheap as far as electricity is concerned. I don't care about the cost of the ASIC itself, you chose that path. The cost of production is very low, so BTC value (as far as the cost of production goes) is much lower than today.

FTR, I mined with GPU when the difficulty was <100k and the price was single digits, so mining was expensive back then (~$100/GH per month). It all works out in the wash as I'm sure it will for you too, but a mining guild? haha
Who gets to sell first?
Who stops someone else from selling before they're "allowed" to?
Who makes this order? and
Why should the last guy have to be last?
It sounds more like a pyramid scheme than Bitcoin to an outsider.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:21:32 AM

There seem to be two potential topics for this thread.
1. Mining's effect on the price
2. Mining's viability as a business

I can't tell which one is the topic here, and the OP seems only to address #2. The post is incoherent. Why is there swearing and emotions?
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:37:08 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 04:34:52 PM by seriouscoin

Buying a mining gear at current exchange rate, you will have very little chance of BREAK EVEN

Remember all these didnt account the time and effort you have to spend to operate the mining operation.

Chao.

Sounds like a terrible business plan!
A mining rig should not pay itself off in weeks or even months. No business would ever expect to pay off the "tools of the trade" in such a short time frame. So why should Bitcoin mining be any different?

Is that so yours can be worth more?
Mining with ASIC is pretty cheap as far as electricity is concerned. I don't care about the cost of the ASIC itself, you chose that path. The cost of production is very low, so BTC value (as far as the cost of production goes) is much lower than today.

FTR, I mined with GPU when the difficulty was <100k and the price was single digits, so mining was expensive back then (~$100/GH per month). It all works out in the wash as I'm sure it will for you too, but a mining guild? haha
Who gets to sell first?
Who stops someone else from selling before they're "allowed" to?
Who makes this order? and
Why should the last guy have to be last?
It sounds more like a pyramid scheme than Bitcoin to an outsider.

Thats a wrong way to look at the cost of mining BTC (or better word minting)

You cant ignore the capital cost of mining gear because its a sinking cost as the machine is depreciated so quickly.

To me, the cost of mining gear should be looked at as the cost of materials for minting BTC. as its usable lifetime is quite short. (in other words, you used it up for the short time to mine btc)

No matter how you slice it, the cost of minting btc can never just be the electrical cost.
raid_n

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 07:03:15 AM

I think bitcoin mining is at an interesting stage.

Soon the limits of what can reasonably be achieved with ASICS are going to be reached and from there on
the potential increase in mining performance of the n+1th generation of miners isn't going to be as dramatic, as can already be observed.
The question then comes if and how new mining models will emerge.

People operating mining rigs at a loss while speculating on a bitcoin value increase are already moving towards a model i think might catch on.
If you look at smaller mining rigs or single usb devices as a form of lottery ticket it may make sense to operate them not in a pool but solo mine.
The chances of finding a block are slim but as the value of bitcoin increases this becomes more and more akin to partaking in a lottery raffle where people also accept that they are entering at a loss with a small probability for huge gains.
I've been thinking about getting a usb miner for exactly this purpose. Attach it to a raspi and have it mine solo. Enough people doing this would also mitigate 51% attacks and encourage a better distribution of hashpower.

The other side that is also already happening is big mining pool operators that use their scaling to make things viable.
I wonder if mining will become a highly specialized field with great barriers to entry or if something akin to my previous scenario will happen (people mostly operating at a loss for the hopes of sriking it rich). Of course ultimately lottery-like mining will become much less attractive as the rewards dwindle to nothingness and transaction fees become the primary income for miners.

Anyways, just my 2 cents
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:31:03 AM

I still mine on GPUs and mining is still very very profitable in my opinion even though many say it is not. I mine altcoins and exchange for bitcoin and I live in an expensive electricity country.

The OP is simply looking at mining the wrong way I made that mistake long ago when BTC was around the $100 mark and I broke even.
Most people look at the coin value when they mint the coins. Yes this will break even or become a loss but if you look at the future value of bitcoin mining can be very cheap.
If a BTC becomes 2-10K then electricity is cheap and mining equipment too. If I had kept on mining then I would have much more coins now.

Miners are no longer pure miners but also speculators. Since the long term trend is still up then mining is still profitable!!

On the comment "btc mined out of thin air": Yes a minted BTC is generated by the network out of thin air, this does not mean no work had to be done for it to fall out of the air.

My $0.02

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 12:50:29 PM

There seem to be two potential topics for this thread.
1. Mining's effect on the price
2. Mining's viability as a business

I can't tell which one is the topic here, and the OP seems only to address #2. The post is incoherent. Why is there swearing and emotions?
The topic is "a lot of people are fucking dumb". The latest miner troll was talking about how every transactions costs $40 so obviously miners are making mad profitz and dumping everything no matter what the price is.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:32:14 PM

I still mine on GPUs and mining is still very very profitable in my opinion even though many say it is not. I mine altcoins and exchange for bitcoin and I live in an expensive electricity country.

The OP is simply looking at mining the wrong way I made that mistake long ago when BTC was around the $100 mark and I broke even.
Most people look at the coin value when they mint the coins. Yes this will break even or become a loss but if you look at the future value of bitcoin mining can be very cheap.
If a BTC becomes 2-10K then electricity is cheap and mining equipment too. If I had kept on mining then I would have much more coins now.

Miners are no longer pure miners but also speculators. Since the long term trend is still up then mining is still profitable!!

On the comment "btc mined out of thin air": Yes a minted BTC is generated by the network out of thin air, this does not mean no work had to be done for it to fall out of the air.

My $0.02

We went over this in 2011 MANY times, if you speculate on the future price of bitcoin, you better buy btc at current exchange rate. Because mining at lost mean you paid more.... terrible thinking.

If you had bought btc at that time, you would have made EVEN more than mining at lost.

When you pay electrical cost of mining every month, you're essentially "buying" btc every month. If the cost is higher than the market value of btc, you're a sucker for paying above the market value. Ask anyone that calculated mining carefully, if they want btc, would they rather buy or mine? you will get the answer.
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:42:01 PM

I think bitcoin mining is at an interesting stage.

We've been thro this stage more than Twice.....

First was back 2011 when btc hovering around $2-3 after the first crash

Second was back in 2012 when btc was hovering around $7-8 (b4 Litecoin could be mined with GPU)

We all know what happened from those price point.

Asic chips are getting more mature. More and more companies pushing out mining chips. The technology will slow down as it reaches 28nm. We will have around double performance than current 40nm chips and we will stay there for 1+ year b4 20nm can be feasible (capital cost). So i expect difficulty will keep on rising until then.

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 05:47:46 PM

My $0.02

We went over this in 2011 MANY times, if you speculate on the future price of bitcoin, you better buy btc at current exchange rate. Because mining at lost mean you paid more.... terrible thinking.

If you had bought btc at that time, you would have made EVEN more than mining at lost.

When you pay electrical cost of mining every month, you're essentially "buying" btc every month. If the cost is higher than the market value of btc, you're a sucker for paying above the market value. Ask anyone that calculated mining carefully, if they want btc, would they rather buy or mine? you will get the answer.

Very good point but buying bitcoin isn't/wasn't always possible. How many times did you try to buy bitcoin and either the coins were all gone or you have to wait for 2 months to get money into your account.
Some countries block transactions to bitcoin companies. Some bitcoin companies are scams.

Mining guarantees an income of small amounts so it is a way to invest in small portions of money + free heating Smiley
Mining is also fun to do. Mining altcoins can still be profitable.

I also buy coins by the way Smiley

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:16:33 PM

My $0.02

Very good point but buying bitcoin isn't/wasn't always possible. How many times did you try to buy bitcoin and either the coins were all gone or you have to wait for 2 months to get money into your account.
Some countries block transactions to bitcoin companies. Some bitcoin companies are scams.

Mining guarantees an income of small amounts so it is a way to invest in small portions of money + free heating Smiley
Mining is also fun to do. Mining altcoins can still be profitable.

I also buy coins by the way Smiley

Well when you look at mining as a hobby and not an investment, all logics are thrown out Smiley

I agree that mining is the way to go with you cant buy btc easily. I can only speak for U.S.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 07:01:55 PM

I think that markets needs to compensate miners more than pure speculators. Right now, mining is marginally profitable, but it will not be at ~$350 per BTC (average for industry). The situation where essential activity for the whole ecosystem is not supported will be untenable long term and will result either in severe coin scarcity or high transaction costs (eventually). Remember that mining is essential, but speculation is not.

In other words, continued difficulty rise with declining bitcoin price is detrimental to Bitcoin as a whole.
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 07:36:27 PM

I think that markets needs to compensate miners more than pure speculators. Right now, mining is marginally profitable, but it will not be at ~$350 per BTC (average for industry). The situation where essential activity for the whole ecosystem is not supported will be untenable long term and will result either in severe coin scarcity or high transaction costs (eventually). Remember that mining is essential, but speculation is not.

In other words, continued difficulty rise with declining bitcoin price is detrimental to Bitcoin as a whole.

Did you read my post above? We already had this back in 2011, 2012.

Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 07:48:03 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 08:03:42 PM by Biodom

The fact that you had that in 2011 is largely irrelevant because the network was 0.1Th-1Th/s then and it grew 300000-3000000 times since.
BTW, difficulty DID decrease between July and Dec 2011. No such luck in the last 4 mo.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 09:23:50 PM

The fact that you had that in 2011 is largely irrelevant because the network was 0.1Th-1Th/s then and it grew 300000-3000000 times since.
BTW, difficulty DID decrease between July and Dec 2011. No such luck in the last 4 mo.

This is why unprofitable miners stop and buy instead of mine. This has a two part effect... You get lower hashrate and higher prices. Then mining becomes profitable again for those who were barely profitable before the decline

Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 09:32:18 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 09:48:27 PM by Biodom

This is why unprofitable miners stop and buy instead of mine. This has a two part effect... You get lower hashrate and higher prices. Then mining becomes profitable again for those who were barely profitable before the decline

This is rather general point of view that does not take into consideration the ability of quite a few entities to move the market fast. It would only probably take a measly $10mil to move BTC at least 10% or more one way or another.

In addition, seeing that either buying or selling BTC involves fees of 0.4-1% with roundtrip on coinbase being 2%, I see no other solution as for miners to eventually require 0.5% MINIMAL fee on transactions vs pennies right now (with some hard limit for very large txns). After all, miners are processing these transactions and doing "real" work vs coinbase that charges 1% just for changing ownership of BTC they already presumably have.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 09:55:50 PM

This is rather general point of view that does not take into consideration the ability of quite a few entities to move the market fast. It would only probably take a measly $10mil to move BTC at least 10% or more one way or another.

In addition, seeing that either buying or selling BTC involves fees of 0.4-1% with roundtrip on coinbase being 2%, I see no other solution as for miners to eventually require 0.5% MINIMAL fee on transactions vs pennies right now (with some hard limit for very large txns). After all, miners are processing these transactions and doing "real" work vs coinbase that charges 1% just for changing ownership of BTC they already presumably have.
Not necessary. If mining stop being profitable to miners, then some of them will drop out. This will lower the difficulty, which will make mining profitable to those who remain. Then the miners who left will come back, and eventually equilibrium will be reached. This is all part of the protocol.

And calling mining "real" work is just rude. Plugging in a piece of hardware that someone else built is not work, it's just investing, same as the rest of us are doing. Only with a higher barrier to entry than buying a few coins.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:00:06 PM

In addition, seeing that either buying or selling BTC involves fees of 0.4-1% with roundtrip on coinbase being 2%, I see no other solution as for miners to eventually require 0.5% MINIMAL fee on transactions vs pennies right now (with some hard limit for very large txns). After all, miners are processing these tranaction and doing "real" work vs coinbase that charges 1% just for changing ownership of BTC they already presumably have.

With the client's default tx fee of .0005BTC for a transaction and the average of 388 tx's per block, that comes out to .194BTC ($128.04) per block of tx fees. Granted the movement of older coins has no "requirement" for a tx fee, but most are required. So you feel a 10 fold rise in fees is appropriate?
The idea is that, with time, there will be enough transactions to support mining on it's own, hence the reward halving every 210,000 blocks. What is needed is more unique transactions rather than a higher fee per tx. Half of the awesomeness that is Bitcoin is that you can send money for very little fee. A 0.5% fee is only marginally better than a credit card except it's payed by the sender and not divided up between all users.

Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:14:46 PM

And calling mining "real" work is just rude. Plugging in a piece of hardware that someone else built is not work, it's just investing, same as the rest of us are doing. Only with a higher barrier to entry than buying a few coins.

Oh, boy. I guess that you never mined.
"Mining" is much more involved than just plugging in and is more akin to "farming".
The proverbial "cow" sometimes gets sick, overheats, makes strange noises, loses internet connection (hmmm, can cows do that?), etc.
One point is is actually without doubt: No miners-No network. No speculative buying or selling and instead buying or selling strictly for purchases-and network will survive, albeit at a lower $$ value, perhaps.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: