Bitcoin Forum
August 16, 2024, 04:21:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If I loaned you 1 bitcoin today, how could i expect you to repay if value rises?  (Read 2975 times)
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:12:43 PM

Holy crap what a messy thread.

Original poster:

You simply document the amount 1 BTC buys at the time you loaned it:  $600

That's what he owes you.  Even if its 10 years from now.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:25:31 PM

You simply document the amount 1 BTC buys at the time you loaned it:  $600

That's what he owes you.  Even if its 10 years from now.

Oh snap that totally changes everything! So bitcoins are just USD. Got it... Last one out turn off the lights...

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:16:20 PM

A loan agreement could be thrown out by a court as unconscionable if it turned out there was exponential deflation

Utter bullshit! There is even a precedent:

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/11/07/judge-orders-coinlab-to-pay-up-in-bitcoin/

Stop defending fraud already! If you took a loan in bitcoins that is because you operate in bitcoins in the Bitcoin economy or because you hedged your exposure to exchange rate accordingly like posted in the examples above. If you don't pay it in the amount of bitcoins agreed that is because you were deceiving with your financial dealings an that is the very definition of fraud (seriously, look it up).

Defending fraud?  What kind of non-sequitur is that?  We are talking about hypothetical possibilities.
Geez...

Anyway thanks for posting the court case, although I still think there could be other situations
that might be different.  At the end of the day the judge can do pretty much whatever he wants.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 04:34:08 PM

Debt is freedom.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:32:55 PM

Circling back to the OP's question; in the case of real estate loans (and certain other long term loans), it's not uncommon for them to be priced at (+/- 1%) of inflation. For example, I have a 30 year home loan priced at 3% interest. Once you factor in inflation, is the bank really making much or anything? In fact, as the debtor I would be foolish to pre-pay such a loan. Ignoring the interest write-offs (as that's a very country and loan specific thing), the fact that the loan hovers around the inflation rate means any pre-payment carries an opportunity cost risk without a large (any?) financial benefit.

I just want to take a sidebar here to talk about bank loans as opposed to loans from other entities. Your points are valid for loans form entities other than banks. However, I think you are misrepresenting the nature of a loan from a bank.

When banks make a loan, the money that they loan is not the bank's money. They don't even loan money that they have from depositors*. Further, that money does not even exist until the loan is made. The very act of loaning the money zaps that money into existence.

As such, the bank is the beneficiary of quite the sweetheart deal. They get to collect interest (typically several times the principal of the loan) on ... nothing. At least nothing of theirs.

Where does the wealth that this new money represents come from? It is shaved off every dollar in existence at the instant the loan is made - in the form of a reduction of that money's purchasing power. While society seems to be OK with this, in my estimation it is a criminal theft of purchasing power. I think society just does not understand how loans work, otherwise they'd be at torches and pitchforks.

Not making the loan does not carry any opportunity cost to the bank, as there is no money sitting around at the bank that they can use for any other purpose. The money does not exist until the loan is made. Edit: strikethrough. While this paragraph is true, it is based upon a misreading of your point about opportunity cost.

The financial industry is a parasite that is incrementally absorbing all the wealth of the entire world through this process.

With this knowledge, run the mental experiment behind foreclosure. Disgusting.

* Yes, there is a very small percentage of the loan that is made with money in the bank's possession. But to a first order approximation, it is overwhelmingly (I think currently in the US 90%) newly-created money.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:34:16 PM

whats wrong with capitalism?

greed
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:37:11 PM

Can you explain why greed is inherently wrong? Or is this just an axiom of yours?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 10:18:27 PM

Don't you think that the politics are greedy?

They want to control everyone and they want power that they sell to the highest bidder, if we don't want them to sell their power (corruption) we need not to give them the power in the first place

You want them to protect you from the big corporations and to build schools but they will buy guns and hire IRS agents to get more money out of your family

When politics are young they know they can get a nice life by doing politics, you can live like a king and have a lot of power and respect if you succeed as a politician

------

Apple cannot force you to buy his product but the government force you to buy its product; the state tells you a monopoly is bad but they run a lot of monopolies; when you have a monopoly protected by law and people are forced to buy your product you don't innovate and you are not entice to change if you are not pleasing your customers

My last argument is that other systems have been tried and they don't work, central planning doesn't work because it is not efficient : less innovation and less adaptation to what is changing

Ruthful

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:13:11 AM

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Nineteen Eighty-Four is so 1949 Roll Eyes Wink Wink

why don't we update that shall we  Cheesy Cheesy

Grin Grin
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 01:59:16 AM

Regarding, "what's wrong with capitalism?"

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZU3wfjtIJY

Exhibit B: http://vimeo.com/4041228

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: