Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:35:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: An interesting case of a widespread misconception  (Read 495 times)
deisik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2020, 07:59:24 PM

Inflation contributes to higher employment (again, in general). Conversely, deflation (which preceded the Great Depression) and low inflation contribute to higher unemployment.
And you have not read what I have written. We are in agreement here.

As I said, when there is high unemployment, companies have no incentive to continually raise wages, and so at least in the short term wage inflation tends to be lower, leading to overall inflation also being lower

So you didn't even think that I was talking specifically about the inflationary environment, did you? Here's the part which set it straight and which you either intentionally or by neglect chose to omit:

First, inflation reflects the price growth (as per definition), and the latter in general means that a given company starts to sell their goods and services at a higher price

Then, you just took some part of my post completely out of context, and then tried to challenge it in a different context, i.e. in the context that I specifically excluded from consideration (deflationary environment). Aside from that, I also said "in general" and even went to great lengths to emphasize that for those who don't read and don't care about the context. Obviously, it didn't help. But what could I actually hope for?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
June 29, 2020, 08:31:35 PM

But what could I actually hope for?
Lol. Roll Eyes

I did not omit anything as my post quotes the exact line you claim I omitted, and I also did not take your post out of context at all but simply pointed out reverse also holds true. If you wish to actually argument against my points - workers have faced real terms wage stagnation or decreases, and high unemployment contributes to low wages - rather than taking issue with the way they were presented then please do, but if you can't stand someone disagreeing with you without making it personal and throwing out insults, then I have no desire to continue this discussion.
deisik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2020, 09:03:45 PM

I did not omit anything as my post quotes the exact line you claim I omitted

That's your reply which makes sense only in a deflationary context:

As I said, when there is high unemployment, companies have no incentive to continually raise wages, and so at least in the short term wage inflation tends to be lower, leading to overall inflation also being lower

Thereby, you are describing a situation which doesn't usually happen in inflationary circumstances. Since your post included a citation of my post which describes a different situation (specified earlier), it should be obvious that you failed to understand the correct context

workers have faced real terms wage stagnation or decreases, and high unemployment contributes to low wages - rather than taking issue with the way they were presented then please do

So you agreed the wealth that simple people created during the discussed period of 20 years have been stolen from them. Now, you have to admit that without this rip-off real wages should have been outperforming inflation as per OP, and all in all should follow the increase in productivity

but if you can't stand someone disagreeing with you without making it personal and throwing out insults, then I have no desire to continue this discussion

If you come to think of it this way, then you are free to leave as no one is forcing you to reply here or elsewhere (read, there's no need for crying out loud)

arowana33

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2020, 04:58:01 AM

A lot of posters on the forum love to come up with figures showing how much the dollar (the American dollar, obviously) has depreciated over time, like 1 dollar in 1913 was worth 1000 dollars today (or whatever), with the general idea being that "the grass was greener and the light brighter back in the day"
However, what these forum members forget to account for is the rise in wages during the same time span. And the irony is that wages in the US have been outperforming inflation since WWII, barring a few rather short periods. It basically means that people become wealthier over years despite a declining dollar
So much for dollar inflation
That is a big fact to consider in when comparing crypto to fiat.
A lot of people in crypto community are assured that its only a matter of time when crypto will replace or at least take its place near the fiat in banking systems and etc.
However, the current system works for a very-very long time, yeah it has its own problems but due to ease of use and incredible prevalence of usd makes it way bigger than btc
so98nn

Activity: 2086
Merit: 603

View Profile
July 02, 2020, 11:49:31 AM

It's not just dollar but many other currencies which are compared like this all the time. But it's not wrong either. I know you have a made point with increasing wage formula but dollar was proportional to many other factors back in time and today as well. There was time when you could actually buy couple of candies for penny but today it is not the case. Over the time wages increased but costs per unit increased as well. The whole thing is connected with market demand and supply. It was lesser back in time considering the country was less populated back then. This is pretty simple thought and I guess one can easily agree upon this.
Iyanjr

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2020, 08:40:32 AM

A lot of posters on the forum love to come up with figures showing how much the dollar (the American dollar, obviously) has depreciated over time, like 1 dollar in 1913 was worth 1000 dollars today (or whatever), with the general idea being that "the grass was greener and the light brighter back in the day"
However, what these forum members forget to account for is the rise in wages during the same time span. And the irony is that wages in the US have been outperforming inflation since WWII, barring a few rather short periods. It basically means that people become wealthier over years despite a declining dollar
So much for dollar inflation
Agree, and they getting richer not only because of their increasing wages but due to their acquired (for their salary) possessions and services which they could not afford before. Even the same Bitcoin they get for  bucks being paid to them. Welfare of U.S. citizens , on average, is steadily increasing and, largely speaking, that is true.
Exactly, if we look at any us walfare annual chart we'll see how much it grows over the years
surely it grows more than depreciation
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: