Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:55:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum 4 - Multisig with HWW + Phone ?  (Read 140 times)
PrivacyManiac (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 04, 2020, 02:57:49 AM

Hi,

Now that Electrum 4 allows multisig between a combination of hardware wallets (e.g.: ColdCard, Trezor, Ledger), I was wondering if, let's say in a 3 of 5 setup,  it is also possible to have 4 signatures with hardware wallets and one of the 5 signatures done via mobile phone (e.g.: with FullyNoded on iPhone?), thoughts ?
Thanks
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 04, 2020, 03:04:45 AM

I don't think you can use electrum on an iPhone and you can't plug a hardware wallet into it and have electrum recognise it (at least you can't with the android version)..

You can sign whatever you want with the phone though, I had a multisig between my laptop and phone going for a while (just scanning the code on my laptop and clicking to sign it on the phone - is that what you're attempting to do)?
PrivacyManiac (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2020, 03:12:38 AM

Thanks, I was hoping I could manage most of the signature process from Electrum on my laptop (for the HWW signatures) and one of the signature (not HWW) would have been done with a key managed by my iPhone (stored on the phone, on the cloud or even better on my Node), kind of similar to how the Casa multisig process works.  Probably not possible I guess. I think FullyNoded will be close to that but I assume all signatures (HWW and mobile) will have to be done via FullyNoded which wasn't my preferred option.

I don't think you can use electrum on an iPhone and you can't plug a hardware wallet into it and have electrum recognise it (at least you can't with the android version)..

You can sign whatever you want with the phone though, I had a multisig between my laptop and phone going for a while (just scanning the code on my laptop and clicking to sign it on the phone - is that what you're attempting to do)?
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 04, 2020, 03:20:04 AM

Yeah partly signed transactions or unsigned transactions are often incompatible with other simoftware types afaik. You might be able to pick up a cheap android phone (second hand possibly) if you wanted to use the phone or you could just use an extra he wallet.

It might make sense if you're using different devices to use the 3 device offer from trezor, a ledger and a cold card (or two ledgers and 3 trezors)). Either that or you could just do the forth or fifth signature on your machine (or use the same seed on a ledger or trezor but with a different password which I think works theoretically but I haven't tested it) ...
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
July 04, 2020, 12:12:16 PM

such complicated setups are way overkill. while you won't get hacked you may face issues because of bugs in the software. but hey if you are willing to put up with such things then go for it. be sure to report the bugs and hopefully that will make electrum more robust!
PrivacyManiac (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2020, 12:22:04 PM

I hear you on the potential added technical complexity but what I have in mind is a 3 of 5 (or 3 of 6) where I would not need to keep the seeds.
So if technically it can work, I think it would remove a layer of management complexity.  Thoughts ?

such complicated setups are way overkill. while you won't get hacked you may face issues because of bugs in the software. but hey if you are willing to put up with such things then go for it. be sure to report the bugs and hopefully that will make electrum more robust!
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
July 04, 2020, 12:37:19 PM

yes i know what you wrote in the OP. my advice was based on that.

each HW has a separate plugin and i believe they are maintained by different people. if you do this you may face issues.

btw 3 of 5 means any 3 out of the 5 cosigners. you can't say 2 HW and one phone. that feature isn't there in electrum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: