Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:36:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] Undervolt antminer s1 [1.19W/GH at the wall]  (Read 69362 times)
lucazane (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1198
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 01:07:41 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2014, 09:19:04 PM by lucazane

I don't think it's possible to break anything with this mod, but in case you break something, I'm not responsible

Why undervolt the antminer s1 ?
Because with default voltage (1.1v), the chip has a very bad efficiency

What are the results ?
I wanted to achieve 0.85v on the asic. ( you can go at 0.75v if you want and share the result)

With this voltage my 3 antminer s1 are hashing at 140 GH/s each for 500 watts (166 watts per ant) (corsair AX1200i)  [1.19W/gh at the wall]
all my ants have less than 1 % of HW (0.95 0.5 0.3)

What is needed ?
  • a pencil HB
  • an antminer s1
  • a multimeter (ohms meter and voltmeter)
How to ?

The following value works for an antminer with R3 resistor = 4.47 kOhms

https://i.imgur.com/VN07slQ.jpg

When adding pencil on R3, the result will be a lower voltage on the chip, so it's difficult to burn anything by doing it.

Voltage :
  • Turn off your antminer ...
  • Check the R3 value  with the multimeter: it should be 4.47 kOhms (if not: the logic is the same but the next value are different)
  • apply pencil on it
  • Check the R3 value
  • if R3 value is between ~2.8kOhms and ~3kOhms it's good, if not reapply pencil or remove it with your finger (it's not rocket science, so even if it's 3.1 don't loose your time ...)
  • You can check the voltage of the chip with the voltmeter on the yellow things (the ant must be powered on) (~0.85v for me)

Freq (275 MHz):

edit /etc/config/asic-freq

option 'freq_value'    '0A81'  #275M
        option 'chip_freq'     '275'
        option 'timeout'       '45'

tips : 18Qauboa6wLq3pzzNWm8ppjSeHzqJEXRhb (BTC) F28JPPyP2iQT1BH6w8qYR79tGGzS54h5g8(HBN) WmUBNpvaaQk1a3hdfrkKgz8V6w9pjwvjYN(WDC)

The Blocks Factory Mining POOL : DGB(sha256d, Skein, Qubit, Groestl & Scrypt), FTC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:47:53 PM

I don't think it's possible to break anything with this mod, but in case you break something, I'm not responsible

Why undervolt the antminer s1 ?
Because with default voltage (1.1v), the chip has a very bad efficiency

What are the results ?
I wanted to achieve 0.85v on the asic. ( you can go at 0.75v if you want and share the result)

With this voltage my 3 antminer s1 are hashing at 140 GH/s each for 500 watts (166 watts per ant) (corsair AX1200i)  [1.19W/gh at the wall]
all my ants have less than 1 % of HW (0.95 0.5 0.3)

What is needed ?
  • a pencil HB
  • an antminer s1
  • a multimeter (ohms meter and voltmeter)
How to ?

The following value works for an antminer with R3 resistor = 4.47 kOhms

https://i.imgur.com/VN07slQ.jpg

When adding pencil on R3, the result will be a lower voltage on the chip, so it's difficult to burn anything by doing it.

Voltage :
  • Turn off your antminer ...
  • Check the R3 value  with the multimeter: it should be 4.47 kOhms (if not: the logic is the same but the next value are different)
  • apply pencil on it
  • Check the R3 value
  • if R3 value is between ~2.8kOhms and ~3kOhms it's good, if not reapply pencil or remove it with your finger (it's not rocket science, so even if it's 3.1 don't loose your time ...)
  • You can check the voltage of the chip with the voltmeter on the yellow things (the ant must be powered on) (~0.85v for me)

Freq (275 MHz):

edit /etc/config/asic-freq

option 'freq_value'    '0A81'  #275M
        option 'chip_freq'     '275'
        option 'timeout'       '45'

tips : 18Qauboa6wLq3pzzNWm8ppjSeHzqJEXRhb (BTC) F28JPPyP2iQT1BH6w8qYR79tGGzS54h5g8(HBN) WmUBNpvaaQk1a3hdfrkKgz8V6w9pjwvjYN(WDC)

Will try, you are awesome!

Thanks for sharing!

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 02:06:34 PM

nice job!

however, I dont see any point to unervolting at this point. maybe by late summer when the the difficulty is as high as the temperatures, but right now getting the most hashes per second is my focus

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
lucazane (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 02:10:29 PM

nice job!

however, I dont see any point to unervolting at this point. maybe by late summer when the the difficulty is as high as the temperatures, but right now getting the most hashes per second is my focus

Depend on how much Amp you have.

I was close to the limit and I will receive some miner (hex8) next week, so I needed power ^^

The Blocks Factory Mining POOL : DGB(sha256d, Skein, Qubit, Groestl & Scrypt), FTC
tzortz

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 02:25:24 PM

It is not a bad idea to underclock an S1 at this period. They are inexpensive and can compete the 28nm, as on power requirements.

All is Mine!

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 02:29:53 PM

nice job!

If you have no more space, no more power and the room is getting too hot, this is helpful. 

tzortz

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 02:35:39 PM

nice job!

If you have no more space, no more power and the room is getting too hot, this is helpful. 

No more space?

All is Mine!

klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:54:05 PM

nice job!

only if you want to earn 20-30% less from the unit at the benefit of saving a dollar a day on electricity - but if that still looks like a good use of your miner go for it.

I was at my limits of power/heat/noise and I came up with a simple solution. I found a larger space to run my miners that had better cooling capabilities, and I spent $1500 installing 18kW of new circuits and some shelving units. I went from a limit of 9 antminers to operating 14 now, and have an S2 ordered also.

In this game, i dont see why you would willingly reduce your hashrate at this point in time - I might do it once july hits and the difficulty/temperatures play a more significant factor, but right now is the best time to run the machine at it full capability

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
tzortz

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:11:28 PM

nice job!

only if you want to earn 20-30% less from the unit at the benefit of saving a dollar a day on electricity - but if that still looks like a good use of your miner go for it.

I was at my limits of power/heat/noise and I came up with a simple solution. I found a larger space to run my miners that had better cooling capabilities, and I spent $1500 installing 18kW of new circuits and some shelving units. I went from a limit of 9 antminers to operating 14 now, and have an S2 ordered also.

In this game, i dont see why you would willingly reduce your hashrate at this point in time - I might do it once july hits and the difficulty/temperatures play a more significant factor, but right now is the best time to run the machine at it full capability

Some of us, want to invest more in mining. I operate 24 ants and I am on power limit. Only solution to increase my hashing speed is either to replace all ants with 1w/1ghs fresh equipment , OR to underclock the existent ants for better efficiency.

With this method, I can increase my hashing speed from 4.9Th/s to 8.5Th/s and maintain the same power requirements.

All is Mine!

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 04:24:35 PM

nice job!

Some of us, want to invest more in mining. I operate 24 ants and I am on power limit. Only solution to increase my hashing speed is either to replace all ants with 1w/1ghs fresh equipment , OR to underclock the existent ants for better efficiency.

With this method, I can increase my hashing speed from 4.9Th/s to 8.5Th/s and maintain the same power requirements.

Plus your ants will probably last longer.

tzortz

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:32:55 PM

nice job!

You are right, definitely will last longer.

All is Mine!

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:53:55 PM

VERY NICE! Glad to hear it worked so successfully for you!

I'm assuming your temps are also a LOT lower? You could probably run a normal 120mm case fan on idle and it would cool the whole thing, right?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
wpgdeez

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 07:08:37 PM

In the pics its showing low 30's with 1500 rpm fan speed. Nice.
lucazane (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 07:20:32 PM

In the pics its showing low 30's with 1500 rpm fan speed. Nice.

I'am not running the default fan, I am running the Delta PFC1212DE-PWM (the default fan of 2/3 antminer s1 was not starting, so I change the 3 fan to have the same) :

With the default fan and stock clock, I had 45/47 for 2000 RPM)
With the Delta PFC1212DE-PWM and stock clock, I had 40/41 for 2040 RPM)
With the Delta PFC1212DE-PWM and pencil mod @ 0.85v/275Mhz, I got 35/34 for 1500 RPM and it's fucking silent !

At 2000 RPM, the Delta PFC1212DE-PWM make a little more noise than the default fan but at 1500 RPM it's like a church !

jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:30:27 AM

Can you give more details how we apply pencil hb and and which because at first photo you have the heatsink and I can not see good
cyberspaced

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:21:13 AM

Can you give more details how we apply pencil hb and and which because at first photo you have the heatsink and I can not see good

The resistors are all marked R3 on the board.

How to apply the graphite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNXSHpPACGs

But don't try this mod if you haven't got a multimeter!!
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:35:03 AM

nice job!

In order to grow from 4.9Th to 8.5Th you would have to go from 24 antminers to 45 units if all run at ~200GH overclocked.
If underclocking to ~150GH, you are looking at 57 miners. 

that means paying >32 BTC in order to add 3.6TH  (or 12BTC/TH)

underclocking at this point is a terrible idea. either create a second mining location or sell the antminers to buy 1TH/1000W units (s2 or another company) - otherwise you are thrpowing away your earnings

tzortz

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:31:13 AM

nice job!

In order to grow from 4.9Th to 8.5Th you would have to go from 24 antminers to 45 units if all run at ~200GH overclocked.
If underclocking to ~150GH, you are looking at 57 miners. 

that means paying >32 BTC in order to add 3.6TH  (or 12BTC/TH)

underclocking at this point is a terrible idea. either create a second mining location or sell the antminers to buy 1TH/1000W units (s2 or another company) - otherwise you are thrpowing away your earnings

I cannot undestand your calculations.

Lets start again.

I need 57 miners to reach the 8.5 Th/s , as underclocked.

I already hold 24 miners, so I need 33 pcs more. Which you agree on this.

33 pcs , as underclocked will hash approximately at 5 Th/s ( 33 x 150 = 4,950 Gh/s).

33 pcs normaly cost 33x0.938 = 31 BTC.  So, 31BTC / 5 Th/s = 6.2BTC per Th/s.
Which is lower than any preorder S2 (6.37BTC PREORDER CLOSED)

S1s are ready to go from Bitmain , can order as many as you want.

Plus I have 40 S1 coupons waiting with 0.12BTC each, where I could buy S1s for 0.81BTC and making cost of 5.35BTC per Th/s.

So no need to sell anything, as I will lose on ebay fees plus I will lose hash time reducing my hashing speed.

All is Mine!

jayman

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 09:45:13 AM

interesting idea to save power costs and get more hashing power, i think 1 thing people also tend to forget when mining is if 1 of your ants goes down it's a small dent in your mining power but if 1 of your th's units goes down it's a serious dent in your hashing power and will cost alot of potential earnings until it's running again or replaced that's something to think about and worth considering also.

tzortz

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 10:08:05 AM

interesting idea to save power costs and get more hashing power, i think 1 thing people also tend to forget when mining is if 1 of your ants goes down it's a small dent in your mining power but if 1 of your th's units goes down it's a serious dent in your hashing power and will cost alot of potential earnings until it's running again or replaced that's something to think about and worth considering also.

Indeed, as of course ants have shown great durability , and are tested to last.
I have no clue about the S2 or the Dragon products about their credibility.

The downs are only, you need more cabling and definitely more space to handle so many ants.

All is Mine!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: