Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:09:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Director-General of the WTO  (Read 121 times)
Upgrade00 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 2173

Professional Community manager

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2020, 06:58:29 AM
Last edit: July 15, 2020, 02:38:34 PM by Upgrade00
Merited by CryptopreneurBrainboss (2)

WTO~World Trade Organization is the body designed to promote and maintain peaceful trades between it's members, it also settles disputes and creates an enabling environment for both advanced economies and EMDEs (emerging markets and developing economies).

"The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only global international organization dealing with the rules of trade between nations. At its heart are the WTO agreements, negotiated and signed by the bulk of the world’s trading nations and ratified in their parliaments. The goal is to ensure that trade flows as smoothly, predictably and freely as possible." source
The WTO has 164 member countries and others are seeking to join.
As economies are becoming more interconnected with increase in global trade and global financial openness the duty of the WTO has become more relevant. It's effect however has become less evident.

The current Director-General Roberto Azevêdo was elected on the 1st of September, 2013 and re-elected at the end of his first four year term in 2017. During his tenure the body achieved some success but has been relatively ineffective for some years, with growing dispute between the three major players; the U.S. EU and China and it's inability to cut down subsidies on fishing. The Appellate body of the World Trade Organization (WTOAB) which is the de facto supreme Court of the WTO has also been crippled, as at last year, it couldn't meet the minimum number of judges (3) required to preside over a case, due to blocking of appointments by the U.S.

On the 14th of May, this year, he announced that he would be stepping down from his role, a year before the end of his tenure and amidst a global crisis which is putting a major strain on world trade. This has left the body in a search for a new Director-General before their next ministerial conference which takes place next year in Kazakhstan.

The selection process includes;
• a nomination period, were governments are allowed to present candidates, this lasts for a month, after which accepted candidates are invited to meet the general council and present their mandate (15-17 July, 2020, the 2nd phase ends officially on the 7 September, 2020). The WTO then meets with other bodies to decide and select a new Director-General before the deadline (*1st September, 2020, the date has been pulled back due to the nature of this year's election and there would be an acting Director-General from this date, till a new DG is selected).

Nomination period is currently over and 8 candidates have been accepted;

Date nominatedNameNationality Biography
16 June 2020Mr Tudor UlianovschiMoldovaLink
24 June 2020Ms Yoo Myung-hee Republic of KoreaLink
7 July 2020Ms Amina C. MohamedKenyaLink
8 July 2020Mr Mohammad Maziad Al-TuwaijriKingdom of Saudi ArabiaLink
8 July 2020Dr Liam FoxUnited KingdomLink

What's your opinion on the candidates and who do you think is "most likely" and "best equipped" to lead the organization? And would that be the same person?
Advocates of the free market has been in opposition to the activities of the WTO for years, do you think we are better off without the body?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmjutt6

Activity: 42
Merit: 4

View Profile
July 13, 2020, 07:19:15 AM

I think that the Dr Liam Fox is best for that. It is my opinion. Otherwise the council members will select the best person.

I have read the details of all candidates but I think Dr Liam Fox is best. His history is showing he is the best person for that post.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Fox

Upgrade00 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2020, 06:22:43 PM

I think that the Dr Liam Fox is best for that. It is my opinion.
He looks like someone that can fill the role adequately, as do a lot of those on the list honestly.
I'm backing Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala currently, not merely due to national sentiments but her proven track record and personality.

I considered that not everyone would be willing to download their biographies, so I'll link wiki pages here for anyone interested. It is not as detailed but contains some relevant information;
Dr Jesús Seade Kuri
Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
• *Mr Abdel-Hamid Mamdouh, there seems to be no record of this person on Wikipedia and I can't find a LinkedIn match at this time.
Mr Tudor Ulianovschi
Ms Yoo Myung-hee
Ms Amina C. Mohamed
• *Mr Mohammad Maziad Al-Tuwaijri, doesn't also have a wiki biography
Dr Liam Fox

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Upgrade00 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2020, 02:34:08 PM

Update;
It has been agreed that the second phase of the selection process will expire on 7 September, and on that date the third and final phase will begin, which will “last no more than two months”.

Between 1 September, when the new Director-General was originally expected to assume his responsibilities, and the end of the third phase, one of the existing Deputy Directors-General will serve as Acting Director-General.
Source - http://sdg.iisd.org/news/eight-countries-submit-wto-director-general-nominations-selection-process-timelines-announce

The dates for the candidates to meet the general council began today (15-17 July) and the complete second phase would be ending on the 7th of September. The current Director-General officially steps down on the 1st of September, so there will be an acting DG until the election process is completed.
The consultation and selection process, which is the final stage, would last for no more than two months.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 15, 2020, 10:41:08 PM
Merited by Carlton Banks (1)

WTO~World Trade Organization is the body designed to promote and maintain peaceful trades between it's members, it also settles disputes and creates an enabling environment for both advanced economies and EMDEs (emerging markets and developing economies).....

May I ask, not intending to derail the subject, so I will accept your response and then not pursue further...

What do these guys REALLY DO?
Upgrade00 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2020, 07:32:22 AM

@Spendulus, from my perspective, they are there to maintain a peaceful trade environment for it's member nations. The world has become far more interconnected and open to global and financial trades over the years and The WTO should be there to;
• Ensure rules are followed
• Streamline negotiations
• Settle disputes, and
• Curb unethical practice.
So basically, they should prevent things like, a trade war.

For more detailed response, you could check out their website

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
July 16, 2020, 10:00:48 AM

they would become the 'bank' for all the reserves of the tarrifs
they would penalise countries that dont follow the rules

for instance if china tries to block trade from america. america can complain and china will be fined for not allowing america access. or a worse bans china from the WTO so china cant then freely trade with other nations

its like a commonwealth on steroids

the idea is to instead of letting civil wars decide on cross border trading. let boardroom meetings negotiate trade relationships

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
amishmanish
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158

View Profile
July 16, 2020, 11:11:26 AM

At a time when right wing leaders are rising throughout the world backed by an increased xenophobia, WTO is not going to have much of a role to play. How does it even matter who leads it? These bodies are just a meeting ground for trade interests. My goods, your market. Your market, my goods. You let me sell you Harley Davidson's, I'll let you sell your mangoes (That one actually happened between India and the USA). At the end, the deals that do go through are the ones beneficial to the larger partner.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: