Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:23:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About project like Utopia  (Read 164 times)
Gur1eff (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2020, 07:10:18 PM

Guys, there is a very controversial project here - https://u.is/en/download.html. For some reason, there is a lot of negativity in Russia towards him.
Utopia is interested in security auditing and in catching bugs and holes in general. It will also impose mining on Crypton, but at the same time it has a closed source, it is not known why.
Are there those who are interested?
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 25, 2020, 07:43:42 PM

You've not given us much here on it, why?

And some Russians being annoyed with someone plugging security flaws is almost cliche, if I were doing a project to find security flaws I'd be happy with everyone I manage to piss off along the way...

At the same time. Though, why would a project like that be closed source? Close source projects that claim to seek public good give off a weird vibe.
Gur1eff (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2020, 08:27:12 AM

You've not given us much here on it, why?

And some Russians being annoyed with someone plugging security flaws is almost cliche, if I were doing a project to find security flaws I'd be happy with everyone I manage to piss off along the way...

At the same time. Though, why would a project like that be closed source? Close source projects that claim to seek public good give off a weird vibe.

I do not argue. I can't say anything good about the fact that the source is closed. But, what I see at the moment is a great project, and so far there has not been a single complaint about data theft or malware from users. Therefore, I'm wondering if someone knows more about this.
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 1206

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2020, 08:34:42 AM

I installed this on my computer some five or six months ago out of curiosity they have a live chat and social networking and you can mine if the software is running in the background, the software was safe I don't know now if it is still, but until now I am checking if the coin that you can mine there are now tradeable but unfortunately it is not yet.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 27, 2020, 08:42:07 AM

I do not argue. I can't say anything good about the fact that the source is closed. But, what I see at the moment is a great project, and so far there has not been a single complaint about data theft or malware from users. Therefore, I'm wondering if someone knows more about this.

There are two reasons for making something closed source:
1. You don't want anyone copying your work and using it on another chain or as part of another platform- which is perfect reasonable to me.
2. They're distributing copies that may at some point house a virus or do some sort of attack (could even be trying to build a botnet or something for ddos attacks or similar - which would go unnoticed without router-- side tracking)..

3 (bonus reason).. If its trying to detect malware, it could be that its selling or donating the information to companies that require closed source solutions but I don't know how much credit I'd give to this one. Also they could be trying to stop Unneccessary requests to the server.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 2092

View Profile
July 27, 2020, 11:25:20 AM

Looks a bit like a closed source version of RetroShare [1] but with a fancier website and the added thrill of potentially catching some malware along the way. The direct integration of a cryptocurrency is neat of course, but all the privacy and security promises in the world are worthless if there's no source code available.

[1] https://retroshare.cc/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: