Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:57:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOIN ON CNBC!!!  (Read 2767 times)
newguy05 (OP)

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 04:56:36 PM

This is great news, cnbc is probably the most popular financial site, and the article overall is pretty positive.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45030812/

The Pros And Cons Of Biting on Bitcoins
Published: Wednesday, 23 Nov 2011 | 10:09 AM ET Text Size
By: Constance Gustke,
Special to CNBC.com

If you love edgy bets, the Bitcoin may be for you.

Only a few years old, this virtual currency has been on a roller coaster ride. Last year, Bitcoins traded for only a few pennies. Then in June, Bitcoins soared to over $30 a coin, making it a top-performing currency. More recently, they've traded in the low- to mid-single digits — still a huge gain for early investors.

A fiat currency used in Internet commerce, Bitcoins aren’t pegged to an outside barometer. Instead, their worth is determined by a computer algorithm invented by an anonymous, shadowy programmer. No clearing house, government agency or mint watches over them. Instead, peer-to-peer networks dispense and monitor coins, which can be exchanged for dollars.

Given their newness, novelty and volatility, Bitcoins have passionate fans — and critics.

“This is a long-term, high-risk investment,” says Patrick Strateman, a software developer and Bitcoin investor. “Some people are speculating. But others are holding on for much higher returns.”

These wild fluctuations make Bitcoins a difficult investment for average investors, though. Bitcoins have been known to go from $17 a coin to pennies in the blink of an eye.

The coins have also created Bitcoin millionaires, who were early investors. Investment bubbles may even just be part of Bitcoins birthing drama, say fans. Bitcoin lead developer Gavin Andresen has predicted that there will be between one and five Bitcoin bubbles by 2015.

This high-stakes currency does have some key strengths going for it too.

Supply is limited. The Bitcoin algorithm mimics dwindling gold or other precious metal supplies. And the algorithm slows coin issuance by half every four years. Today, there are 7.5 million Bitcoins. The ceiling is 21 million, when no more Bitcoins will be issued.

Also, lots of people want to see Bitcoins succeed, since they’re riding strong anti-government sentiment.

“This is a truly Democratic currency,” says Donald Norman, spokesman for the Bitcoin Consultancy in London and who sees Bitcoins either growing wildly or dying. “No one can manipulate it. It’s a new tool.”

The biggest hurdle to Bitcoin’s value? Lack of widespread use. The problem is that so far Bitcoins aren’t accepted in everyday commercial transactions, says Jon Nadler, a senior analyst at Kitco Metals. “It’s an underground, counter currency,"

That view will have to change before Bitcoins are widely used, he adds; if and when Bitcoins gain in acceptance, their price is sure to be driven up.

For those with strong stomachs,Mt. Gox is the primary exchange site for investing in Bitcoins in the U.S., accounting for 90 percent of transactions from dollars into coins. At the unregulated site, commissions depend on the amount bought. For less than 100 coins, it’s 0.60 percent per transaction.

However, security has been a problem. In June, the Mt. Gox site was hacked, causing Bitcoin prices to quickly plunge from $17.50 to pennies. These issues have been largely resolved though, says Strateman.

“Mt. Gox has made significant security improvements, rewriting the site from the ground up,” he says.

Also, a small market means that large purchases can shift Bitcoin values. Total volume is a small fraction of that for big ETFs that trade gold, for example.

“The problem will be fixed as the market grows,” Stratement adds.

This volatility —and lack of transparency — has scared away some investors and critics. Bitcoins currently lie outside U.S. government regulation and New YorkSenator Charles Schumer has expressed concern that they’ll be used for money laundering and other shady practices since the coins can’t be tracked.

“Bitcoins are a networked global currency,” explains Chris Skinner, chairman of the Financial Services Club in London. “They can’t be regulated because they’re open sourced.”

Norman is upbeat, though, about Bitcoins future. “A lot of speculators have left,” he says, adding that inventing the world’s first decentralized currency takes time.

Others have doubts.

“You can’t create an alternative currency,” says Nadler. “The dollar isn’t dying.” Yet even Nadler adds that Bitcoins, only cobbled together in 2009, haven’t gone through their life cycles yet.

But, counter other experts, no one really knows what’s going to happen.

“Bitcoins are best suited to investors comfortable with startups,” says Skinner. “They’re still high risk, and I wouldn’t bet the farm on them.”

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 05:05:06 PM

Seems like a reasonably-balanced article.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
grubles

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 05:13:51 PM

"A fiat currency used in Internet commerce"

Cry

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 05:18:30 PM

their worth is determined by a computer algorithm invented by an anonymous, shadowy programmer.

Correction, their worth is determined by what people are willing to pay for them.

“You can’t create an alternative currency,” says Nadler.

We just did.

“They can’t be regulated because they’re open sourced.”

They can't be stopped, but anything can be regulated.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 05:23:18 PM

Cry

Yeah why do so few people know what fiat means... it means "by decree" of government. Come on CNBC do 5 mins of wikipedia research =)

Anyway, awesome placement of an article! Will surely get thousands of views.
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 05:29:38 PM

I think that we'll be seeing more little feature pieces on the road to mainstream acceptance. It would be awesome to allow for competing currencies in the US again, since the dollar needs some internal competition so people see just how much the elites are toying with it.

grubles

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 05:32:57 PM

Cry

Yeah why do so few people know what fiat means... it means "by decree" of government. Come on CNBC do 5 mins of wikipedia research =)

Anyway, awesome placement of an article! Will surely get thousands of views.
It is good that many people will be exposed to bitcoin for the first time because of this article which is good in of itself, but, they will also be exposed to the misinformation contained in the article which only will confuse people.

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 05:49:53 PM

Patrick Strateman = phantomcircuit. He's the CTO for Intersango and a member of Bitcoin Consultancy
grubles

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 06:09:09 PM

Patrick Strateman = phantomcircuit. He's the CTO for Intersango and a member of Bitcoin Consultancy

Ah, interesting...there's certainly no bias there. Smiley

Also, "Bitcoins have been known to go from $17 a coin to pennies in the blink of an eye."

When did this happen?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 06:11:34 PM

Also, "Bitcoins have been known to go from $17 a coin to pennies in the blink of an eye."

When did this happen?

True but out of context.  Talking about the price on MtGox (but not other exchanges) when MtGox was hacked.

In related knew Proctor & Gamble stock went from $50/sh to pennies per share in the "flash crash".  Of course nobody would equate that to an issue / P&G instead of the markets & high frequency trading.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 06:13:35 PM

The press ALWAYS gets the details wrong when they have an article about anything even remotely technical.  When I started working in tech (1998) I was appalled by the coverage of the new "world wide web" and how wrong they got everything.  I made me wonder how much they got wrong in fields I know nothing about, like medicine.

So, I learned to just take the suface info from a news article, and research for myself if I wanted the real details.

In that light, a reasonably positive article like this is great news.

It seems like Bitcoin is getting more and more coverage in this vein.  That's great news.  A constant trickle of small, positive coverage is what we really need.  Huge splashes like the Silk Road news only cause a bubble.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Rejinx

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 06:15:32 PM

So is this enough press that an influx of buyer could start a rally?
grubles

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 06:16:20 PM

When did this happen?

True but out of context.  Talking about the price on MtGox (but not other exchanges) when MtGox was hacked.

Hm. That is somewhat deceptive, without explaining *why* it went from $17 to pennies. Would you agree?

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 06:18:40 PM

Bitcoins are WAY undervalued...
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 06:21:48 PM

When did this happen?

Hm. That is somewhat deceptive, without explaining *why* it went from $17 to pennies. Would you agree?

They explain that it was due to the mtgox crash later in the article.  I don't see why it needed to be mentioned twice though, with the first mention given with no context.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
beckspace

Activity: 931

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 06:25:39 PM

"Bitcoins have been known to go from $17 a coin to pennies in the blink of an eye."

This is not serious. The statement is a misinformation like this one:

Bitcoin raised from U$13.00 to 1.3 million dollars a coin at the end of july/2011. In the blink of an eye.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33185.0
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 07:04:25 PM

The press ALWAYS gets the details wrong when they have an article about anything even remotely technical.  When I started working in tech (1998) I was appalled by the coverage of the new "world wide web" and how wrong they got everything.  I made me wonder how much they got wrong in fields I know nothing about, like medicine.

So, I learned to just take the suface info from a news article, and research for myself if I wanted the real details.

In that light, a reasonably positive article like this is great news.

It seems like Bitcoin is getting more and more coverage in this vein.  That's great news.  A constant trickle of small, positive coverage is what we really need.  Huge splashes like the Silk Road news only cause a bubble.

I'm in the biomed field. The media is terrible, almost everything they report ends up being misleading or just flat out wrong. Its insane. Truely an appalling state of affairs, like you said. I heard some guy being interviewed on NPR last week who wrote some book about info security. Someone called in asking what a "zero day" was and the guy claimed he had never heard that term.

edit: here is the interview for anyone who wants to be horrified:
http://thekojonnamdishow.org/shows/2011-11-16/waging-digital-war

Now I'll stop bein offtopic.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 07:07:50 PM

I hope to see BTC rise in value quite quickly however people may tend to have negative impressions of BTC after the scandals.It's going to take time to recover from that.I do hope more positive articles like this come up.Is there a site where I can invest in stocks/shares with BTC,and then cashout with BTC?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 07:12:04 PM

Why no comments on the article page itself ?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 07:14:33 PM

I hope to see BTC rise in value quite quickly however people may tend to have negative impressions of BTC after the scandals.It's going to take time to recover from that.I do hope more positive articles like this come up.

I hope BTC doesn't rise in value quickly. for the obvious reasons.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: