Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:57:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum's supply cannot be verified  (Read 337 times)
bitsurfer2014

Activity: 924
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 11, 2020, 01:13:56 PM

It was like they were reading our minds (or posts  Wink)
For what it is worth:
https://decrypt.co/38271/so-what-is-the-ethereum-eth-total-supply
So, what is the Ethereum (ETH) total supply?
This thorny question has generated a shedload of debate on crypto Twitter for the past five days. And it’s not going away.
By Adriana Hamacher  Aug 11, 2020

In response to a challenge put down by Bitcoin educator Pierre Rochard, several Ethereum devs did just that over the weekend. A coded “script” by systems engineer and blockchain enthusiast Marc-André Dumas won the proffered bounty.....The tricky aspect of calculating Ethereum’s supply is that, unlike Bitcoin, not only do the block rewards need to be added up (although for ETH, there are two types: genesis and mining rewards) but there are also so-called “uncle rewards” to take into account.
Uncle rewards are given for blocks that nearly get into the blockchain but don't quite make it, and exist primarily in order to improve decentralization. They can also have children: “nephews.”
Uncles are issued with a delay of up to six blocks and can form up to 87% of the block reward—making them crucial to account for but tricky to calculate. 

This is why I prefer Etherscan over other ETH explorers because it includes data from both block rewards and uncle rewards to calculate ETH total supply.

The table and pie chart shows the distribution of Ether from reward of both block and uncle block mining to arrive at the current total Ether supply
- Found this statement as stated on Etherscan site which explains it simply.

https://etherscan.io/stat/supply

bbc.reporter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1449

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 04:20:09 AM

I believe the most accurate way to check the current supply of the coin is by using desktop wallet directly.
Open the console and write a command there, in Bitcoin the command i think 'gettxoutsetinfo'
It will shows something like this :
{
  "height": 643150,
  "total_amount": 18457180
}

However, what did Etherscan, Ethplorer, Blockchair, Tokenview, Coinmarketcap and Etherchain use to verify the supply? It was also from their node, I assume and they gave different values.

There are some people who might think that this is insignificant, however, this shows the inferiority of the project. I speculate that if bitcoin's supply verification occured like this, the news articles published would be like it was the end of the world already hehehe.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
contraband

Activity: 1232
Merit: 528

Community Manager: ETN

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 05:16:24 AM

This story is LITERALLY one of the biggest nothing burgers ever.

Look up Crypto FUD in the dictionary, and you will find a link to this story.

It's a story. We are talking .1% of supply could be delayed uncle's or cousins or whatever.

Saying this cast Ethereum in ANY kind of negative light is bullshit.

This whole "ether supply can't be counted" is smoke and mirrors people.

Oldest trick in the book...blatant misleading FUD by those that want to help whatever coin is in their bag that's competing with ETH.... point blank
Yogee

Activity: 1554
Merit: 412

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 05:37:17 AM

However, what did Etherscan, Ethplorer, Blockchair, Tokenview, Coinmarketcap and Etherchain use to verify the supply? It was also from their node, I assume and they gave different values.

There are some people who might think that this is insignificant, however, this shows the inferiority of the project. I speculate that if bitcoin's supply verification occured like this, the news articles published would be like it was the end of the world already hehehe.

The response of Andreas to this whole ETH supply thingy can be found in a thread https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/1292877311570857990

I will put it all here for easier reading:

1. This whole "what is ETH supply" thing is a silly gotcha that doesn't make much sense if you understand how Ethereum works. It's no better than the silly gotchas Schiff and Roubini level at bitcoin.

We can do better. Let's look at the details...

2. First of all a block explorer is a very limited view of any blockchain. These are user-interface tools that abstract important details and translate them for the user's benefit. They each have a point-of-view that is the result of their data collection and analysis methodology

3. You can easily see how this plays out in Bitcoin too, if you've paid any attention to all the errors in popular blockchain explorers over the years. Take a Bitcoin metric like "current hashrate" and you will find a dozen different answers depending on where you look

4. There's also the fact that Ethereum uses an account-balance based system instead of a coin-fragment (UTXO) system. That means that counting current ETH in circulation is not as simple as finding all UTXO in Bitcoin. Nevertheless it is possible - you just have to scan the chain

5. Then there's the nuance of burn addresses. Where in Bitcoin there are some assumed burn addresses, there's none universally recognized. In Ethereum however, the 0x0 address (used for contract registration) is in effect a burn address. Do you count that ETH? Some do some don't

6. Bitcoin does 1 block every 10 minutes. Ethereum does ~40 in that time. So exactly when you ask the question, will determine what answer you get. It won't be a stable answer for 10 minutes, it will change every 15-30 seconds or so.

7. Then there are "uncles". In Bitcoin, PoW is a winner-takes-all mechanism. Not in Ethereum, which uses a Greedy Heaviest Observed Tree (GHOST) protocol to include stale blocks with a lower reward. These are caller "uncles" or "ommers"

8. This is a critical point to understand: ETH supply issued as rewards doesn't go 100% to the winning block each confirmation. In Ethereum, up to 87% of the block reward goes to uncles, and some is further distributed to nephews (children of uncles). Part also goes to the parent

9. This mechanism serves two purposes:

(1) it allows much faster block times (40x of bitcoin), without creating a whole mess of stale blocks that get no reward. Ethereum doesn't discard stales, it rewards them

10. (2) It acts as a sort of on-chain mining pool mechanism, since it doesn't penalize second-finish miners with a zero reward. This makes lower-hashrate miners able to compete as solo miners without losing potential reward

11. Ok I lied, it's 3 purposes -
(3) The rewarding of uncles reduces the incentive of mining empty blocks, since the race is not winner-takes all.

12. It's important to understand that uncles arrive with a slight delay from the parent block and are incorporated on an "eventual" basis up to 6 blocks after the parent. This means the issuance at any height isn't finalized until a few blocks later, when all uncles are counted.

13. The consensus mechanism can count the *exact* issuance of ETH, as long as you set a specific block height that has had all it's uncles counted and use that as a point of reference.

14. But just like Bitcoin's mempool, not all nodes see all uncles at the same time, meaning that if you are asking for a real-time snapshot, you will get different answers. That's not because there isn't consensus, it's because consensus on uncles is a few blocks behind the tip.

15. Therefore, your methoology for calculating ETH supply will determine your answer. The exact timing (reference point) of your question will determine your answer and it will change every 15-30 seconds. Whether you count burned ETH will determine your answer.

16. On top of all that you have to scan the blockchain to create a correct current state, based on the mining rewards. All of which means that there is NUANCE to this question.

17. The nuance is what was missed by all the gloating investment "experts" who have been jumping up and down for several days, thinking they found a gotcha that invalidates Ethereum. Demonstrating their lack of understanding of the technology and its economics.

18. The exact same attitude that I've been battling this same week with a silly article about Bitcoin mining centralization in China, that ignores several key nuances of the Bitcoin system because of a lack of technical understanding or independent review.

19. Again, it takes 10x the time to debunk bullshit as it does to state

There are plenty of valid things to criticize, both for Bitcoin and Ethereum. Those who understand these technologies work to address the issues by *building* engineering solutions for engineering problems

20. Those who don't understand nuance, seize on some silly tribalistic argument and get all excited that they have finally and definitively debunked Bitcoin or Ethereum, while they've only debunked their reputation and integrity.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
tbterryboy

Activity: 1946
Merit: 322

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 04:00:07 PM

It is not really all that shocking and it is not really all that impossible to calculate. If you think about calculating all of it individually you will end up with not making any head way at all, however if you calculate the assumption and just see how much it should have made that would allow you to make a lot more quicker calculation.

At the end of the day there are programs that calculate it automatically anytime one is found, either regular or uncle or nephew they are all calculated and watched like hawks these days so it couldn't be a problem. And if you want to check out, I agree that etherscan is probably the best place you can find for total supply, they are basically checking each and every one of them and you can also follow up address and transactions there as well which works great.
cryptoperkele

Activity: 889
Merit: 60

View Profile
August 12, 2020, 05:11:06 PM

I don't see any issue here. Luckily this time i am more prepared to understand what's fud and what's not. Last time i sold my eth when it was 10 bucks or something like that because it was "overpriced" and would never work. I totally bought the fud back then. I am guessing some people will buy this fud and sell their eth.

bbc.reporter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2020, 03:23:59 AM

This story is LITERALLY one of the biggest nothing burgers ever.

Look up Crypto FUD in the dictionary, and you will find a link to this story.

It's a story. We are talking .1% of supply could be delayed uncle's or cousins or whatever.

Saying this cast Ethereum in ANY kind of negative light is bullshit.

This whole "ether supply can't be counted" is smoke and mirrors people.

Oldest trick in the book...blatant misleading FUD by those that want to help whatever coin is in their bag that's competing with ETH.... point blank

Agreed that some of the news articles might be critical. We know Ethereum has a supply figure that did not break consensus. However, can you verify how much it really is?

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
jdnthny

Activity: 281
Merit: 10

Futurov

View Profile
August 13, 2020, 05:02:39 AM

Well if there is really a problem regarding this matter now is the time for the developer of ethereum to take action to these so that many people will still be trusting it and will still patronize ethereum.

███████████████ ██ █      F U T U R O V   │  The #watch2earn Revolution      █ ██ ███████████████
Website  ⦁  Telegram Group  ⦁  Telegram Channel  ⦁  Twitter  ⦁  Instagram  ⦁  YouTube  ⦁  TikTok  ⦁  Github
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE  ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
bbc.reporter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 05:30:00 AM

News update.

Vitalik agrees to the challenge of auditing Ethereum's total supply of ETH in circulation, however, there were no definite plans declared on how and when it might begin.

In any case, similar to Ethereum 2.0 release, it might also be permanently delayed.

The mystery surrounding Ethereum’s total ether supply may soon be clarified, as the blockchain’s creator, Vitalik Buterin, recently agreed to help orchestrate a coordinated audit of the total ether supply.

Source https://www.btctimes.com/news/bitcoin-supply-to-see-synchronized-audit

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
b1k4ng

Activity: 728
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 06:39:31 AM

Thank you for the information that you have provided, for now we are just waiting for the buterin to do that and I also hope that when 2.0 is launched all these problems can be resolved

JamalAmal99

Activity: 364
Merit: 130

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 06:48:02 AM

can anyone explain to me, why the total supply Ethereum always increases every time, it should be Ethereum it has been determined to have a total supply of 100.000.000 since Ethereum launched
MCobian

Activity: 1190
Merit: 117

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 07:06:44 AM

Regarding the Ethereum supply, I took data from the coinmarketcap site. Which is circulating supply of Ethereum currently 112,363,420 ETH.
And indeed until now it is still a mystery about the Ethereum max supply, because I did not find any data mentioning the max supply of ETH.
Actually, the thing regarding the supply of Ethereum, I don't really think about it, as long as Ethereum is still in high demand. Very safe and
profitable investing in Ethereum.

SOLARBLOX        ◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥◥ crypto solar mining ◥◥
◼◼ Crypto Mining using Solar energy as substitute energy sources ◼◼
TELEGRAM TWITTER   ▪▪▪▪▪ [ DOWNLOAD WHITEPAPER ]
imstillthebest

Activity: 1638
Merit: 122

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 07:15:00 AM

Regarding the Ethereum supply, I took data from the coinmarketcap site. Which is circulating supply of Ethereum currently 112,363,420 ETH.
And indeed until now it is still a mystery about the Ethereum max supply, because I did not find any data mentioning the max supply of ETH.
Actually, the thing regarding the supply of Ethereum, I don't really think about it, as long as Ethereum is still in high demand. Very safe and

that kind of supply is big and enough  . btc supply is at 21 m only and people continue with doubts if what will happen when all the supply have been mined  .  why would eth users worry   ?  other sources tells different supply but its only a small difference so  thats not worth it to debate with  .  i dont think eth users are bothered with the supply problems because if can see , eth value still keeps on increasing  and people keeps on speculating for its improvements  or developments  .
ReiMomo

Activity: 2366
Merit: 305

Duelbits - $100k Bonus/week

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 08:20:03 AM

https://www.coindesk.com/how-much-ether-is-out-there-ethereum-developers-create-new-scripts-for-self-verification

That's according to the Coindesk information data of total supply of Ethereum even though they are not the same but at least it's near to the accurate one, but my question is this. Where is the real total supply and the most closest information they gave.

Some expert says, that doesn't matter to them. Not only Ethereum has no fix supply.

Duelbits
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DICE 
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
MINES 
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
PLINKO 
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
bbc.reporter (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2020, 04:45:26 AM

Ethereum does not have a limited supply similar to bitcoin. Its supply is infinite.

Also, agreed. If you do not really care for the project and only care for profits, invest and support Ethereum hehehe. However hehehe, you will return to the bitcoin, yes? Maybe fiat money?

@ReiMomo. I speculate that it does not matter to the experts because they might have accepted that it cannot be fixed.