Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:07:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Forum now hosting the Bitcoin Wiki  (Read 7294 times)
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 03:22:12 PM

good news, the wiki is a solid resource

TitanBTC

Activity: 366
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 04:52:17 PM

Unexpected thread turn.

Lol damn I remember this is some old crazy shit https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tonal_Bitcoin
Luke does version numbers in tonal, too. It has caused some surprises... Cheesy Great, queer guy - does a lot of good work.

Smart people usually have mental illness.  See flappy bird, autistic savants, etc.

Wonder why bfg doesnt have tonal version numbers

I love that you mentioned "Flappy Bird" as the first and most prominent example of troubled genius.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 06:08:26 PM

Some chain smoke like myself and Flappy bird, we have that in common.

Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:26:47 PM

task one. remove Luke-Jr's editing privileges. he has done more damage then support of facts on the bitcoin wiki over the years.

Funny you should say that... i remember reading a few things in it that didnt belong and reeked of someones personal motives. Tried to fix it but not interested in paying to fix some turds graffiti.

Paying wouldn't help. Luke doesn't allow you to fix his graffiti. He doesn't even allow discussion of his junk on the discussion pages.

See this edit for example in which he deletes a perfectly reasonable comment from Gavin, or this ugliness which he won't allow anyone to fix. We need a simple page explaining the units. It absolutely doesn't need to talk about silly base 16 units that aren't supported and that nobody uses. Check that page's history to see how many times people have tried to fix it only to have Luke revert their fix.

Maybe we just need a new wiki where hes banned from the start. Id be ok with gavin as a admin, i couldnt imagine him doing stuff like this.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 08:35:56 PM

Luke might be crazy but he is a mad genius

irrational

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:54:27 PM

fixed that for ya

Back on topic...

What's this I read about needing to PAY to having editing privileges on the wiki?
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 09:02:47 PM

fixed that for ya

Back on topic...

What's this I read about needing to PAY to having editing privileges on the wiki?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Special:CryptoPayment

I was trying to add 4 super nodes I run but hit a snag

halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 09:56:04 PM

fixed that for ya

Back on topic...

It's true.  It's asking me to pay 0.001 bitcoins to edit the wiki, or roughly $0.57.  I'd personally prefer to see the same system the Bitcointalk forums used to have, where you just have to have your account active for 3 hours or something before you can edit.  (Or go out of the Newbie forum, as it was here.)

Oddly, I just noticed the page upped the price to 0.003 bitcoins, which is kind of lame.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 10:09:05 PM

It's true.  It's asking me to pay 0.001 bitcoins to edit the wiki, or roughly $0.57.  I'd personally prefer to see the same system the Bitcointalk forums used to have, where you just have to have your account active for 3 hours or something before you can edit.  (Or go out of the Newbie forum, as it was here.)

Oddly, I just noticed the page upped the price to 0.003 bitcoins, which is kind of lame.

it's an antispam measure, and a pretty effective one at that. so... blame the spammers. the inconsistency in the payment amount is just something we have to fix. it is 0.001 BTC presently, i think (will verify and get back to you).

if you really can't afford 50 cents to prove you're not a spammer, feel free to post a request on the wiki subforum, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=168.0, with the following info:
- nature of your request ('i want edit rights')
- your wiki account username
- the languages you want to edit (the language wikis each has separate group rights - we hope to fix this soon)

You'll then be granted edit privileges as soon as one of the admins notices your request and finds the time to act on it.

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:01:13 PM

the price to 0.003 bitcoins, which is kind of lame.

it's an antispam measure,

$1.68 wont stop luke Jr editing out comments which were factually true, but didnt meet with his opinions (eg: litecoin, which he hates)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:15:03 PM

It's true.  It's asking me to pay 0.001 bitcoins to edit the wiki, or roughly $0.57.  I'd personally prefer to see the same system the Bitcointalk forums used to have, where you just have to have your account active for 3 hours or something before you can edit.  (Or go out of the Newbie forum, as it was here.)

it's an antispam measure, and a pretty effective one at that. so... blame the spammers. the inconsistency in the payment amount is just something we have to fix. it is 0.001 BTC presently, i think (will verify and get back to you).

if you really can't afford 50 cents to prove you're not a spammer, feel free to post a request on the wiki subforum, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=168.0, with the following info:
- nature of your request ('i want edit rights')
- your wiki account username
- the languages you want to edit (the language wikis each has separate group rights - we hope to fix this soon)

You'll then be granted edit privileges as soon as one of the admins notices your request and finds the time to act on it.

I can afford it, I just thought it was a bit ridiculous that it told me that the price tripled while I was waiting on that page.  

Edit: I'm also wondering if there's any point in bothering, given all these comments about a Luke Jr guy editing out comments he doesn't like.  That's actually one reason I prefer an open wiki system like wikipedia, given a large enough community, biases get edited out pretty quickly.  I would hope that the bitcoin community is large enough that this would be the case, but probably not with the paying to edit requirement, as most people won't bother.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 11:31:38 PM

Strong work theymos.

Do you have control of the domain? There are many back links that would break if the domain goes away...getting a dozen mirrors up or migrating the site doesn't fix the back link issue.

At any rate, I'm glad you stood up and took on the task. We need doers here and I'm glad to be a supporter.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:16:03 AM

the price to 0.003 bitcoins, which is kind of lame.

it's an antispam measure,

$1.68 wont stop luke Jr editing out comments which were factually true, but didnt meet with his opinions (eg: litecoin, which he hates)

Cant say im a fan of many altcoins and never saw the point of litecoin. Not sure any of it belongs on the bitcoin wiki, though maybe one page for the unique features of altcoins would make sense. Namecoin being one which is entirely unique and well deserves a page of its own.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 01:19:08 AM

task one. remove Luke-Jr's editing privileges. he has done more damage then support of facts on the bitcoin wiki over the years.

I could not disagree more strongly.

After numerous attempts to contact the other wiki administrators, none of whom responded over the course of four weeks, Luke-Jr stepped up and did an exceptionally even-handed job resolving an edit dispute on the ICBIT page.  The dispute was between the ICBIT operators on the one hand and two people (one of which was me (*)) on the other over their (IMHO false) claims that their users were not exposed to counterparty risk.  

Here is Luke-Jr's resolution of the drawn-out and increasingly ugly conflict, which both ICBIT and myself were satisfied with.  Nanotube later tweaked Luke's resolution a bit.

Go ahead, read the history and the talk page.  Luke did an equitable and careful job resolving the dispute, and that's the most important qualification for that position.  I was very impressed and would not hesitate to recommend him as an arbiter of disputes.

- e

(*) For the record I have never had an account with ICBIT or been involved in any business with them; it's not personal.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13089

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 01:49:52 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 02:06:40 AM by theymos

Strong work theymos.

Do you have control of the domain? There are many back links that would break if the domain goes away...getting a dozen mirrors up or migrating the site doesn't fix the back link issue.

At any rate, I'm glad you stood up and took on the task. We need doers here and I'm glad to be a supporter.

Thanks. Most of the technical work was done by others. I do control the domain (via a trustee service -- you need to be in the EU to be the registrant of a .it domain).

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:09:36 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/API_reference_%28JSON-RPC%29

appears to have turned Chinese.

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:27:13 PM

Looks fine for me, maybe a temporary glitch?

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:40:58 PM

Same here. Google cached version looks OK.

Signature space available for rent.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 02:12:11 AM

Yup Chinese. Huawei attacked us. Nsa was right

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 02:29:27 AM

Edit: I'm also wondering if there's any point in bothering, given all these comments about a Luke Jr guy editing out comments he doesn't like.
Ignore the trolls. I only edit out false claims and vandalism.
As long as you stick to facts and opinions, and don't try to censor other facts or opinions, your edits are welcome Smiley
But the 0.001 BTC thing is just antispam. Post your username and someone can whitelist you directly.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: