Last edit: September 04, 2023, 09:07:29 PM by kingcolex
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Deleted
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
August 13, 2020, 03:58:40 AM

3k to mine some shit alt like nimiq when eth profitablity is x4 lol but wait those ecu don’t even have a public bitstream for dagger, even though they have the ram.  No ones buying fpgas right now over gpus like the 5700 that smash eth for 110 watt 55 mhs
jadefalke
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 13, 2020, 02:25:02 PM

3k to mine some shit alt like nimiq when eth profitablity is x4 lol but wait those ecu don’t even have a public bitstream for dagger, even though they have the ram.  No ones buying fpgas right now over gpus like the 5700 that smash eth for 110 watt 55 mhs
Eth mining is going through a spike, anyone who has mined for more than a little bit knows that. If you've been through a full mining cycle you've already seen the majority of gpu miners had dumped their hardware for a lot less than they paid. The thing with fpga is they have extreme longevity, if you look at the F1 units by HAC the underlying Fpga chips are from 2011 and they are still profitable. When it comes to pure core mining the VU9 can get 10-13x the hashpower of a 1080ti with h around 200w used.

Memory based bitstreams are in the works by some developers, especially on devices with hbm but that development experience is giving them insight into bringing them over to vcu1525 based devices and we have the possibility going forward of these core heavy Fpga miners also being able to mine memory based algorithms soon.

if you are really honest you know that with the BCU/VCU noboday beside the Vendor/Bitstream Coders make Money.

i guess ROI for this Device is >350 Days. I would rather take a bet on ETH/BTC for that instead of start tinkering with one FPGA...
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
August 13, 2020, 02:59:39 PM

3k to mine some shit alt like nimiq when eth profitablity is x4 lol but wait those ecu don’t even have a public bitstream for dagger, even though they have the ram.  No ones buying fpgas right now over gpus like the 5700 that smash eth for 110 watt 55 mhs
Eth mining is going through a spike, anyone who has mined for more than a little bit knows that. If you've been through a full mining cycle you've already seen the majority of gpu miners had dumped their hardware for a lot less than they paid. The thing with fpga is they have extreme longevity, if you look at the F1 units by HAC the underlying Fpga chips are from 2011 and they are still profitable. When it comes to pure core mining the VU9 can get 10-13x the hashpower of a 1080ti with h around 200w used.

Memory based bitstreams are in the works by some developers, especially on devices with hbm but that development experience is giving them insight into bringing them over to vcu1525 based devices and we have the possibility going forward of these core heavy Fpga miners also being able to mine memory based algorithms soon.

if you are really honest you know that with the BCU/VCU noboday beside the Vendor/Bitstream Coders make Money.

i guess ROI for this Device is >350 Days. I would rather take a bet on ETH/BTC for that instead of start tinkering with one FPGA...

Yeah thats my thoughts exactly too, the best bitstreams dont get released to the public until the devs have tapped out the profits to some extents too, i guess if you want some hardware to play with and have $$ to burn its cool but unless it can mine everything i don’t see the attraction
heavyarms1912

Activity: 729
Merit: 114

View Profile
August 18, 2020, 09:29:09 PM

Gpus you're good until a new more efficient model comes around and then you're almost immediately dead. Asics promise large revenues before they launch and always when they hit hands are mining for a fraction of promised revenue and then are worth nothing more than the fans in a few months.

Not true.  Vegas were launched in 2017 and they still profit in 2020 that's 3 years.  It all depends on how core bound an algo is only then FPGAs can shine.  Even if they get on memory bound algo they won't be as many times efficient than a GPU on a core bound algo.  In which case the next gen GPU will also impact this old FPGA just like it does the old gen GPU.
heavyarms1912

View Profile
August 26, 2020, 08:59:29 PM

Gpus you're good until a new more efficient model comes around and then you're almost immediately dead. Asics promise large revenues before they launch and always when they hit hands are mining for a fraction of promised revenue and then are worth nothing more than the fans in a few months.

Not true.  Vegas were launched in 2017 and they still profit in 2020 that's 3 years.  It all depends on how core bound an algo is only then FPGAs can shine.  Even if they get on memory bound algo they won't be as many times efficient than a GPU on a core bound algo.  In which case the next gen GPU will also impact this old FPGA just like it does the old gen GPU.
That's due to the hbm in vegas, they still are losing the efficiency game which has so many units out there compared to Fpga it's not comparable. Like I was saying the F1 miner by hac is using chips from 2011 and is still very profitable at standard power rates. This is an Fpga using a much newer and more efficient chip and will be profitable for a long long time.

You're offering justification for Vegas?
My comment was only for the GPU not being profitable after an year is not true.  There are several variables.  Only heavily core bound algos would have that kind of efficiency gains on an FPGA.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 27, 2020, 02:20:32 AM

This fpga bs is about to go bust and for good reason, last 20 threads about fpga, 18 were scams.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
August 27, 2020, 12:47:49 PM

This fpga bs is about to go bust and for good reason, last 20 threads about fpga, 18 were scams.
The VU9 chip from xilinx is real and there are like over 20 algorithms, they have been around for over a year. You can't believe random companies that come out of the woodwork and pretend they have some magic device but this is a custom cooled VCU1525 with ease of use software. This isn't some fake bullcrap, or are you saying the huge fpga gains aren't real? Because they definitely are and that's proven.

Not saying it is, saying scammers are and have been using the get fpga rich scam scheme into action. I know all about VCU1525 and for the price they are charging is not worth which means is not a scam because scams are things too good to be true. Anyway, my post was a warning to newcomers and that is all.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
heavyarms1912

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 10:07:22 PM

Not true.  Vegas were launched in 2017 and they still profit in 2020 that's 3 years.  It all depends on how core bound an algo is only then FPGAs can shine.  Even if they get on memory bound algo they won't be as many times efficient than a GPU on a core bound algo.  In which case the next gen GPU will also impact this old FPGA just like it does the old gen GPU.
That's due to the hbm in vegas, they still are losing the efficiency game which has so many units out there compared to Fpga it's not comparable. Like I was saying the F1 miner by hac is using chips from 2011 and is still very profitable at standard power rates. This is an Fpga using a much newer and more efficient chip and will be profitable for a long long time.

My comment was only for the GPU not being profitable after an year is not true.  There are several variables.  Only heavily core bound algos would have that kind of efficiency gains on an FPGA.
This is a core based fpga, so yes it has large efficiency gains against core based mining. When it comes to memory based mining there are now memory based fpga, they are currently hashing things like ethereum. If you're wanting to Target memory based long term I suggest looking into that, while the Core algorithms will continue to have bitstreams built for the VU9 based hardware like the TPS1530.

I think GPUs are much better off on memory based algo.  The ones that out after so long on ETH are also long away from being 2x efficient than a GPU.  
A 5700 Navi GPU can do 55 MHs at 130-140w at wall and costs $350 whereas the FPGA costs $1.5-2k. ROI on the GPU is 6-7 months as of today whereas on that FPGA it's 2.5-3 yrs.  Will ETH be even mineable for next 3 yrs?

I also like the control you've on GPU to do a lot more than just mining whereas on FPGA you're at the mercy of the dev. I made a mistake to get in early on the Acorns.  Not again.

My apologies on thread crapping. Embarrassed
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 05, 2020, 07:55:50 PM

any links to info about performance benchmarks on various bitstreams/algorithms as well as power usage for the various bits/algos? 

I can't justify $3K without knowing what performance I'm getting.

Thanks

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
heavyarms1912

View Profile
September 09, 2020, 06:55:10 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2020, 08:30:52 PM by heavyarms1912

Not true.  Vegas were launched in 2017 and they still profit in 2020 that's 3 years.  It all depends on how core bound an algo is only then FPGAs can shine.  Even if they get on memory bound algo they won't be as many times efficient than a GPU on a core bound algo.  In which case the next gen GPU will also impact this old FPGA just like it does the old gen GPU.

My comment was only for the GPU not being profitable after an year is not true.  There are several variables.  Only heavily core bound algos would have that kind of efficiency gains on an FPGA.
This is a core based fpga, so yes it has large efficiency gains against core based mining. When it comes to memory based mining there are now memory based fpga, they are currently hashing things like ethereum. If you're wanting to Target memory based long term I suggest looking into that, while the Core algorithms will continue to have bitstreams built for the VU9 based hardware like the TPS1530.

I think GPUs are much better off on memory based algo.  The ones that out after so long on ETH are also long away from being 2x efficient than a GPU.  
A 5700 Navi GPU can do 55 MHs at 130-140w at wall and costs $350 whereas the FPGA costs $1.5-2k. ROI on the GPU is 6-7 months as of today whereas on that FPGA it's 2.5-3 yrs.  Will ETH be even mineable for next 3 yrs?

I also like the control you've on GPU to do a lot more than just mining whereas on FPGA you're at the mercy of the dev. I made a mistake to get in early on the Acorns.  Not again.

My apologies on thread crapping. Embarrassed
I think you're letting your negative experiences with acorns dilute your view on fpga in general. For example the 5700 does 55mh a5 130-140, currently FK33 are doing 50mh at around 100w and currently still being optimized, lower clocks are easily doing 1.1w/mhs. This 1.1w is expected to be possible at the 70mhs once more optimization pushes through, and you're missing the point of an ethereum bitstream, it is to be a backup bitstream. Third party devs are already already are expecting their other algorithm bitstreams to out profit eth. There are also a lot of other possibilities mixing core and memory based mining. But focusing back to core mining and the 1530 there will be core mining for years and years, and the mainstream fpga hardware will get bitstreams for years and years.

FPGA is not the same old mining game.

When was FKs sold and when did bitstream come out?
Point being FKs were sold almost an year ago and bitstreams that makes sense just started coming out.  We already have RTX 3000 series announced and Big Navi coming in soon.

RTX 3080 does 85-115 MHs. (not sure on power consumption but it should definitely be efficient that Turing especially at 85 MHs). A $699 card does that. Nope, I don't see the need to jump into FPGAs for memory bound algos.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: