Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:48:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: question concerning a type of raffle  (Read 397 times)
john_nautica

Activity: 966
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 20, 2020, 03:27:50 PM

Would this be considered gambling? Is there even a chance that this could or would work here on the forums?

Yes this is definitely gambling because you put in 10$ and have a 1/100 chance of winning, like any lottery. I think this is a good idea for this forum. There are many trusted users here who would easily function as escrow and another for lottery management. Some part of the winning would need to be used as fees for the two.

The only problem I would assume would be choosing which numbers to pick. Easiest would be if you assign the 100 participants a random number but I bet people would prefer to choose their own numbers. But then most people would try to pick their lucky numbers like 3,6, 13, or 19. It could be hard to fill all 100 numbers.

I do not need escrow (I provide escrow on these forums) I also do not need someone to manage it (I will) and there is no fee for myself - the goal is to raise funds for a charity not myself.

I was thinking to let people pick their own numbers - I do see your point in that some may not participate if they do not get their number - so that would be an issue as well if the numbers were randomly assigned as well.
Yes, this is among the many forms of gambling. I was wondering if this plan of yours is going to be conducted in different site if not, how will be the process of participation? And you have mentioned that this for a charity? What specific charity is it?

mezzaluna

Activity: 518
Merit: 23

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 20, 2020, 03:34:56 PM

Its like Gambling since people are still placing their money on something that they can gain from BUT only 50% of the total price money and in some way it also becomes a Donation to charity like the one that happens on your company. Though the way to pick the winners are a bit complex, it is still possible to create a way to present a clear winner. Its like gambling with a raffle touch. That would be cool since you can have lots of players to cater.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
MoparMiningLLC (OP)
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 2227

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2020, 03:37:59 PM

I will post sometime after February 1st - there will be a list of charities and the participants can select their favorite charity from the list when they pay for a slot in the lottery/raffle - the charity with the most votes will receive the funds.

I will go with 50 slots of two numbers each slot (00-01, 02-03, ..... up to 98-99) for the first attempt at $10 per slot - with two numbers per slot, participants will have 2 chances to win. I will allow payments in BTC, LTC or ETH.

there will be 4 winners that will be selected in order by using the hash of  4 future sequential BTC blocks. I will select the starting block number after the raffle/lottery is closed.

the first winner will get 25% of the pot, second will get 20%, third will get 15% and fourth will get 10% -- this will award 70% of the pot to the winners with 30% going to the charity with the most votes.

I am going to close this thread for now - look for my  new one shortly after September 1st !

and thank you all for your recommendations/ideas/criticisms - all were helpful in deciding what I would do.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: