Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:54:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using crypto to help Hong Kong  (Read 154 times)
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2020, 01:11:22 AM

Anybody else working on this? Some Bitcoin community members in Canada have gotten involved due to the high number of Hong Kong expatriates here... they're helping them with security issues. The most notable beneficiary of support has been Alliance Canada Hong Kong--Google them to find lots of news results. See this page about the Initiative. Totally non-profit stuff

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3843

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
August 19, 2020, 02:41:36 AM

There sure is a good number of HK donation websites popping up here and there since the fiasco, but I'm personally more comfortable in donating through the Human Rights Foundation. Idunno, I'm more comfortable donating through them as I feel like it's more guaranteed that my money is going somewhere.

Also, their CSO, Alex Gladstein, is an avid bitcoiner!

https://hrf.org/programs_posts/hong-kong-desk/
https://hrf.org/donate-bitcoin/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2020, 04:21:40 AM

There sure is a good number of HK donation websites popping up here and there since the fiasco, but I'm personally more comfortable in donating through the Human Rights Foundation. Idunno, I'm more comfortable donating through them as I feel like it's more guaranteed that my money is going somewhere.

Also, their CSO, Alex Gladstein, is an avid bitcoiner!

https://hrf.org/programs_posts/hong-kong-desk/
https://hrf.org/donate-bitcoin/

You can also volunteer for a pro-Hong Kong organization. We just started doing it, really... some Hong Kong Canadians asked for help protecting their website, and we said "OK." They've already been getting DDoS'd ever since they testified to Canadian parliament. We had existing connections in the ESL/immigrant community, but you can find people in need of help if you look around at their rallies and stuff.

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
Shimmiry

Activity: 840
Merit: 105

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 19, 2020, 06:04:48 AM

I strongly agree to this. Due to the popularity of the alliance, many would rather donate online and mostly to them. Hence, there are a lot of organizations that has the same idea as the ACHK that haven't had any spotlight to gain popularity, but the movement and purpose remains one.

Also, by looking in the website of Alliance Canada Hong Kong, I'm somehow bothered by how it looks. Yes, UI and UX doesn't mean as long as the website serves its purpose, but then many might use such opportunity to create nor make bad actions, especially be soliciting money that wouldn't go directly to the movement.

jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
August 19, 2020, 06:37:19 AM

You can also donate Bitcoin directly to Hong Kong Free Press:

https://support.hongkongfp.com/

It's at the very bottom of the donation options.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2020, 06:48:58 AM

I strongly agree to this. Due to the popularity of the alliance, many would rather donate online and mostly to them. Hence, there are a lot of organizations that has the same idea as the ACHK that haven't had any spotlight to gain popularity, but the movement and purpose remains one.

Also, by looking in the website of Alliance Canada Hong Kong, I'm somehow bothered by how it looks. Yes, UI and UX doesn't mean as long as the website serves its purpose, but then many might use such opportunity to create nor make bad actions, especially be soliciting money that wouldn't go directly to the movement.

We also help other less famous Hong Kong-Canadian organizations--any others that ask, really. There's a whole community over here that basically lives in fear of the CCP. If you know another group in need of support, just tell them to reach out to us. We don't care if you give us Bitcoin or not; we will help them anyways. I will also walk away happy if you donate Bitcoin to some other HK group, instead.

I (one of the Bitcoin Co-op directors) was an English Second Language teacher before Bitcoin, and I still help run a student group with over 22,000 Facebook followers. I met my best friend through this group, someone who has helped me through thick and thin, and they keep complaining to me about China. Please do not take my attempt to help them as an attempt to step on anybody's territory; I would prefer you to help Hong Kong in whatever manner you prefer.

Please rest assured that your money would be safe, however. I have been doing CoinFest (www.coinfest.org) since 2013, and never taken embezzled from it. You can see all our finances on our website, tracked via blockchain, since we do not use fiat. I've been responsible for many other nonprofit initiatives in the blockchain space, as well. I also would not want to sacrifice my reputation; one of my startup projects (www.eslcoin.org) communicates directly with the British Columbia Securities Commission, and would lose any chance of getting approval for an ICO in the future.

You can also donate Bitcoin directly to Hong Kong Free Press:

https://support.hongkongfp.com/

It's at the very bottom of the donation options.

Definitely a good option. Some friends of ours donate to the cause this way, actually.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: