Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:12:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What will you do with you 4gb GPUs when you cannot mine ETH anymore?  (Read 439 times)
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 402
Merit: 57

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2020, 06:32:58 PM

So Ethereum mining is very interesting. There is this thing called DAG file, which is processed in mining. Basically it is a file which is been loaded onto graphic cards memory. As ethereum block-chain size grows also DAG file size grows. Precise exactly 30000 clocks which is roughly 100hours. Current DAG file size at the time of writing this post is 3.78gb.

So how does the DAG file affect mining?

Graphic cards usually comes with memory size 2gb,3gb,4gb,6gb  and so on. This means if the DAG file is bigger then the memory module size on graphic cards , you simply wont be available to mine with your graphic card. If your GPU memory is bigger then DAG file ,you will be available to fit this DAG file on your card and mine with it. There is a lot of cards dropped already from mining ethereum.

But biggest drop probably will be when DAG file reaches 4bg size, because most of the mining farms where using 4gb RX 570/580/470/480  for mining Ethereum.  Because they have been the best price per hash and best watt per hash. If we check hiveos software statistics we can verify this https://hiveos.farm/statistics/ :

23% RX 570 4gb
14% RX 470 4gb
12% RX 580 4gb
2% RX 480 4gb

Roughly 50% from all AMD cards using hiveos is 4gb cards, and AMD has been the best performing Graphic cards for Ethereum mining.

So there is few things what you can try to expand you mining life with 4gb cards. They already are starting to make issue. Using software like Ethos and claymore miner, incorrect drivers etc...

So the things to do :

1. Ensure you're running HiveOS on the latest stable version and updates.
2. Switch your miner to the latest version of TeamRedMiner, Ethminer or Phoenixminer.
3. If your CPU has built-in graphics (iGPU), you can try enabling Internal Graphics on your motherboard's BIOS and ensure it's set to Default (Only applies if you have a monitor connected).
4. If you're still running into issues after trying the above, try removing the "REF" parameter in the overclocking panel.

Using phoenix miner you will get the cards working till at-least epoch 372-373 which is end of October.  You can achieve this also on windows but you might run into issues if you run incorrect drivers, best drivers to use is 18.12.1.1 to 19.7.5

Ethereum classic DAG file will reach Epoc 372 slightly faster around mid September , So i think Ethereum classic is in trouble of getting 51% attack around that time.

Video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNvRysQVTeE&feature=youtu.be

What will you do with you 4gb GPUs when you cannot mine ETH anymore?

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ipp2

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2020, 08:35:13 PM

uhh..well ive sold mine.

5700's replace them....
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
August 21, 2020, 06:00:03 AM

I think most people sold them a few months back. I had some success selling some for like $70 and buying an 8GB model for not much more. The worse time to sell is generally right now since unless you are willing to go thru the headache of using a different OS to mine, most people will just Criaglist their GPUs or just shut them off.

Even though they are not the fastest cards out there, some gamer will probably buy a pair to Crossfire and he should have a pretty decent mid type of gaming rig for a very small price. Much better than buying some Nvidia countertype which is much more expensive.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2020, 09:13:09 AM

I think most people sold them a few months back. I had some success selling some for like $70 and buying an 8GB model for not much more. The worse time to sell is generally right now since unless you are willing to go thru the headache of using a different OS to mine, most people will just Criaglist their GPUs or just shut them off.

Even though they are not the fastest cards out there, some gamer will probably buy a pair to Crossfire and he should have a pretty decent mid type of gaming rig for a very small price. Much better than buying some Nvidia countertype which is much more expensive.
Yeah you can make from them really value starting gaming pc. Or just mine some speculation ****coins Wink
Selling will be real challenge when when all of these will hit market.

cryptovigi

Activity: 714
Merit: 611

View Profile
August 22, 2020, 11:27:06 PM

So good times are ahead for players - after all, good FPS cards in games will be available in abundance at great prices.
Of course, ETH is not the only coin in which you can use fast gpu, so probably some of them will go to the mining of less popular coins, but players will also benefit from the change in ETH which comes ...

john1010

Activity: 2086
Merit: 562

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2020, 03:37:24 PM

It could be a great flood of rx 570 bargain gpu's all over the market after that, but let us start the conversation here, do you think that there is a better way to replace eth and etc to mine in our 570 cards? I mean, is there any chance that there's another coin (newly coin) will replace eth and etc to mine and we can take good profit? Or ITS A GAME OVER?
cryptovigi

View Profile
August 23, 2020, 04:38:14 PM

I will mine KawPow! Actually some 4GB already show higher profit exactly on KawPow.

It could be not as easy as you think....

Notice how the difference is in nethash ETH and RVN is almost 100 times more, so what does that mean? If only 1% Ethereum nethash goes to mining RavenCoin, the mining difficulty will increase by 100%, and if 2% from ETH goes to the RVN side, your current mining profit will drop to 1/3 todays...

mineshop.eu (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2020, 11:43:11 AM

I will mine KawPow! Actually some 4GB already show higher profit exactly on KawPow.

It could be not as easy as you think....

Notice how the difference is in nethash ETH and RVN is almost 100 times more, so what does that mean? If only 1% Ethereum nethash goes to mining RavenCoin, the mining difficulty will increase by 100%, and if 2% from ETH goes to the RVN side, your current mining profit will drop to 1/3 todays...

Yes but the problem is you need very cheap power for this to be profitable. Because there is a lot of 4gb GPUs on ETH and if it will be profitable to mine kapow then all these gpus will mine it and kill the profit. If you know what i mean Wink

adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2020, 06:47:28 PM

Yes this is pretty much the reason why many of the DaggerHashimoto coins which got a low DAG got such a low profitability. The reason why is because popular old mining GPUs like the R9 280X or some of the 3GB Nvidia GPUs can no longer mine ETH or ETC so they are mining coins like EXP or MUSIC or whatever is out there.

The same will happen with 4GB cards, they will only be able to mine certain coins which have very low profitability. Hence you are just better off selling them now and get some >6GB models.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cryptovigi

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 11:34:53 PM

Yes but the problem is you need very cheap power for this to be profitable. Because there is a lot of 4gb GPUs on ETH and if it will be profitable to mine kapow then all these gpus will mine it and kill the profit. If you know what i mean Wink

Of course I know what you mean ...
but I see that you, unfortunately, did not understand my post because it shows exactly that even 1% of hashrate shift from ETH to RVN due to utilize 4gb cards will reduce profits on this coin by 50%

Paycheck

Activity: 199
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 02:52:22 PM

So why doesn't Ethereum just reduce the DAG file size?  Just clip off the first 2GB of the file and go from there?  3GB and 4GB cards instantly become usable again, nice and simple.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 04:57:07 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

So why doesn't Ethereum just reduce the DAG file size?  Just clip off the first 2GB of the file and go from there?  3GB and 4GB cards instantly become usable again, nice and simple.

The ETH devs goal is not to benefit miners, they actually don't like miners with all the miner fee rewards reductions they implemented in the past. Their main goal is to get out POS as soon as possible.

Why did ETC do a DAG reduction? They basically had no choice because their chain was being 51% attacked like half a dozen times. So they reduced the DAG so old GPUs like the 3GB and 4GB could mine again for a little profit and the increase hashrate would prevent any 51% attacks.

The ETH blockchain is very secure with all that hashrate, doesn't make sense to reduce the DAG.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1582

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 09:53:01 PM

I stopped mining Eth a while ago, yet I still have a couple of 570s with 8Gb. The thing is that these paid for themselves a about three times over so I am not even considering if I should be doing anything else with them, other than sell them to any videogamer that want's to have something decent yet cheap for a basic gaming desktop PC.

An interesting possibility is mining some other stuff like Monero but it is speculative as it rarely gives immediate profit.

The ETH devs goal is not to benefit miners, they actually don't like miners with all the miner fee rewards reductions they implemented in the past. Their main goal is to get out POS as soon as possible.

Absolutely right, ethereum at this point is "dying of success", unable to meet the reasonable expectations of all the project that built on eth, many are choosing to use binance chain.

minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 12:29:24 PM

Well,
If you really have zero idea what to do with your old 4gb cards (460/470/480/560/570/580 - 1050ti/1650/1650 super)
Then please feel free to donate them to me...i will always find a use for them.
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 12:46:40 PM

uhh i sold mine to gamer, and some gpu are artifacs cannot use for gaming but can mine some shitcoin, but i wont bother to use these gpu jump to jump other shitcoin when they only limited time for profit, to pain and to lazy for config  Cheesy

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 01:20:03 PM

My farm of 5 RX 474 video cards today gives $ 8 profit per day. I do not count the cost of electricity.
The farm mines Ravencoin. I consider this to be a good income today, considering that the cost of one video card is $ 130.
Buying used video cards may not be the best investment, but if you already bought video cards, it is too early to sell them.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██