Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:58:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know of any good projects?  (Read 2854 times)
BitEscrow (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:50:33 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 04:44:14 AM by BitEscrow

I'm looking for a good hardware wallet project, kinda like trezor but maybe a little cheaper?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:00:47 AM

Why would I want a third part to store my coins "offline" (and a server isn't offline) securely when I can do it myself with no counterparty risk?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:04:24 AM

I want to see what the site looks like, but first I have to agree with DeathAndTaxes, just because Xapo got $20 million to built a fancy frontend to vault don't get caught up in that. Bitcoins can be easily secured by one's self. We don't need companies to hold on to them for us.
BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:57:52 AM

I've added pictures to the post!
imabauss

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:18:12 AM

Why would I want a third part to store my coins "offline" (and a server isn't offline) securely when I can do it myself with no counterparty risk?

Isn't this exactly like saying why would I store my coins on blockchain.info when I can run my own wallet?

Benefits include:
-No blockchain download (35gbs -.-)
-Access from any devices anywhere in the world
-no software to install or deal with

I get that this probably isn't as useful for regular bit coin users but for companies this service could be invaluable!

It allows you to deposit large amounts of bitcoins without reduced risk to theft and get most of the benefits of a hotwallet

or am I missing something here Tongue

BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:23:34 AM

Isn't this exactly like saying why would I store my coins on blockchain.info when I can run my own wallet?

Benefits include:
-No blockchain download (35gbs -.-)
-Access from any devices anywhere in the world
-no software to install or deal with

I get that this probably isn't as useful for regular bit coin users but for companies this service could be invaluable!

It allows you to deposit large amounts of bitcoins without reduced risk to theft and get most of the benefits of a hotwallet

or am I missing something here Tongue

No, you've hit it on the head. That is exactly what where trying to do here. We are trying to provide a service that maximizes security, your control and accessibility all in one service. This address EVERYTHING that services like gox and other failed exchanges didn't.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:31:53 AM

Hold on cowboy, as someone that has worked in the security sector of bitcoin, you are very wrong. Companies treat bitcoins as assets. It would be like holding gold or a reverse of oil. Companies are extremely protective of assets. So before you go "This is great for companies!" find me one company that would hand over their holding of bitcoins? Because companies that hold bitcoins are holding at least $100K and that is a conservative estimate.

Also because someone says they are taking that precaution doesn't mean they are. They don't have any independent auditor saying they do, so we can't take them at their word.

While you don't take risk of theft from the hotwallet, what if this company does a run? Who do I report them to? Or if they aren't even in the United States, now I can't take any actions. They haven't release who they are and that is another reason no one will use them.

BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:44:38 AM

From the testing we've done, and the logic implied we don't have a leak from our hotwallet as we don't use them Wink Not to mention, we don't have a central cold storage.

To stretch your earlier quote, I've worked on derivative trading and backing was usually attributed with a commodity as such. As you know, bitcoin is considered one of the 3: A currency, a commodity or a stock. That puts it in a category of protection, as companies trading options or derivatives don't hold to commodity centrally they have a broker, or separate bank or service hold their assets knowing they can DO MORE TO PROTECT them.

To address who we are, all information regarding us will be posted on the website on a special page. Doesn't help here , but we do what we can. We're a small operation, not some 20million dollar underground machine gun wearing high rollers.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:48:57 AM

That puts it in a category of protection, as companies trading options or derivatives don't hold to commodity centrally they have a broker, or separate bank or service hold their assets knowing they can DO MORE TO PROTECT them.

Yes but those services all have legal contracts and follow strict rules to hold those commodities. Also I have work with hedge funds to secure their bitcoin holdings and while legally I can't comment how I did it or what software was used. They didn't rely on a company they knew that wasn't how bitcoin works.
BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:55:09 AM

That puts it in a category of protection, as companies trading options or derivatives don't hold to commodity centrally they have a broker, or separate bank or service hold their assets knowing they can DO MORE TO PROTECT them.

Yes but those services all have legal contracts and follow strict rules to hold those commodities. Also I have work with hedge funds to secure their bitcoin holdings and while legally I can't comment how I did it or what software was used. They didn't rely on a company they knew that wasn't how bitcoin works.

Yes, but addressing your earlier comments. Saying no one will use us is a defamation, and is against all bitcoin stands for. Free market and making your own choice. I've worked with local businesses pitching this and introducing them to bitcoins along the way. Most of them hire 16-18 year olds, so how can they trust these guys? You just mentioned it is bad to trust someone with your coins, so using your own words against you how can they know those kids won't steal their coins? It would be hypocritical at this point to try to answer that. Something has to be done to protect the shop owners.
BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:14:04 AM

In regards to the users PM'ing me, you can use the listed mediums to contact me.
BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:23:12 AM

Yes, but addressing your earlier comments. Saying no one will use us is a defamation, and is against all bitcoin stands for. Free market and making your own choice. I've worked with local businesses pitching this and introducing them to bitcoins along the way. Most of them hire 16-18 year olds, so how can they trust these guys? You just mentioned it is bad to trust someone with your coins, so using your own words against you how can they know those kids won't steal their coins? It would be hypocritical at this point to try to answer that. Something has to be done to protect the shop owners.

Actually you could just use a public address, and the kids don't need the private key to that address. So right there I solved it and that is how many bitcoin POS systems will work. Bitcoin actually gives you this greater control over what people can take since it is push and not pull.

I am not saying no one will you use, it would be stupid to use a service like this. It is too much risk and you are selling on misinformation.

Facebook was stupid until people used it. We can stop this right here.

Misinformation, I have no idea where you pulled this from. So we can stop this right here.

Greater control yes, this is a security related project, and as seeing as you claim hedge funds used you what would stop me from going to the same hedge funds a pitching this to them? Nothing. It would be just as easy to set this up, as it would be to hire someone such as yourself. People use blockchain and have full control, people have cold storages and have no issues. We've made the hybrid.

You've worked at hedge funds, you don't give your money to some random guy claiming he can do "magic". You find the medium and observe risk. Seeing this from your point of view we would be your competition. A service, offering what you have to offer to the masses.
BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:42:04 AM

Facebook was stupid until people used it. We can stop this right here.
Don't compare your company to facebook, that is like if I said I was the Lebron James of this forum. That would make no sense basketball has nothing to do with the programming. And facebook has no monetary risk.
  Misinformation, I have no idea where you pulled this from. So we can stop this right here.

Basically you are saying use us to keep your coins safer. What about paper wallets? What about not giving you full control of my coins? What about multi-sig addresses? What about local clients?

Greater control yes, this is a security related project, and as seeing as you claim hedge funds used you what would stop me from going to the same hedge funds a pitching this to them? Nothing. It would be just as easy to set this up, as it would be to hire someone such as yourself. People use blockchain and have full control, people have cold storages and have no issues. We've made the hybrid.

Go to them please they will laugh you out of the building. The first question they asked is what if they lose the bitcoins or they become unrecover, I said nothing. What if your company loses the private key or has a hard drive failure or someone steals your coins? The companies have no course of action.

You've worked at hedge funds, you don't give your money to some random guy claiming he can do "magic". You find the medium and observe risk.

I consulted at hedge funds. But if I can use an option that is 100% risk free which is what paper wallets and local clients are, then why choose a highly risk option?

The Mark Cuban of this Forum - That was a hypocritical statement on your part. You've also used circular logic.

Everything you mentioned can have a downside and a rebuttal. Multisig, you can lose one or more of the keys, paper is losable, local clients are malware prone, and we don't have full control we don't have any tools to decrypt your key until you submit a withdrawal request.  Considering my experience at hedge funds, I could probably get them to laugh at you.

And to contest your conflicting statement on losing data. All wallet and key lists are backed onto multible USB devices, harddrives and encrypted My passports (19 in total) which are clearly marked and located at all times. We use Mongo DB and Heroku for hosting, with multiple backups. You're a programmer you know the power of the cloud.

For giggles why should I trust my database with their site? That question is circular and has no answer, your mind is already set on an answer.
BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:12:33 AM

The Mark Cuban of this Forum - That was a hypocritical statement on your part. You've also used circular logic.

How is that a hypocritical statement? I invest in companies, I am blunt and have considerable wealth from a good trade on bitcoins. That is very similar to how he rose to his wealth.

Everything you mentioned can have a downside and a rebuttal. Multisig, you can lose one or more of the keys, paper is losable, local clients are malware prone, and we don't have full control we don't have any tools to decrypt your key until you submit a withdrawal request.  Considering my experience at hedge funds, I could probably get them to laugh at you.

Local clients aren't really malware prone... I have my client on openBSD so I am probably not going to get any malware. Plus it is used with internet but only for bitcoining.

You make multi copies of the paper wallet and you store it in many locations

Same with multi-sig you can store it in many different locations and use other copies.

I am not opening a business so why would they laugh at me? You do know all the hedge funds I worked at contacted me... I didn't contact them for the job, it was offered to me.

And to contest your conflicting statement on losing data. All wallet and key lists are backed onto multible USB devices, harddrives and encrypted My passports (19 in total) which are clearly marked and located at all times. We use Mongo DB and Heroku for hosting, with multiple backups. You're a programmer you know the power of the cloud.

Encrypted with what? Your pgp key? Obviously something with your control, which means at some point between my browser and your server it isn't encrypted. Cloud hosting doesn't offer greater security it just good if you have scale really fast. So cloud hosting has no bearing on security of bitcoins. It is invalid point to this discussion.

For giggles why should I trust my database with their site? That question is circular and has no answer, your mind is already set on an answer.

Who you trusting with your database? The answer should be no one or heavy encrypted. It has an answer you just don't accept the answer.

All of that responded with was conflicting with past statements from you. All was encrypted with truecrypt.
BitEscrow (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:22:44 AM

How is that a hypocritical statement? I invest in companies, I am blunt and have considerable wealth from a good trade on bitcoins. That is very similar to how he rose to his wealth.

Local clients aren't really malware prone... I have my client on openBSD so I am probably not going to get any malware. Plus it is used with internet but only for bitcoining.

You make multi copies of the paper wallet and you store it in many locations

Same with multi-sig you can store it in many different locations and use other copies.

I am not opening a business so why would they laugh at me? You do know all the hedge funds I worked at contacted me... I didn't contact them for the job, it was offered to me.

Encrypted with what? Your pgp key? Obviously something with your control, which means at some point between my browser and your server it isn't encrypted. Cloud hosting doesn't offer greater security it just good if you have scale really fast. So cloud hosting has no bearing on security of bitcoins. It is invalid point to this discussion.

Who you trusting with your database? The answer should be no one or heavy encrypted. It has an answer you just don't accept the answer.

All of that responded with was conflicting with past statements from you. All was encrypted with truecrypt.

Well then prove it. Just saying it conflicted doesn't make it true.

Also truecrypt has not been code audited, I would suggest not using that in a production settings.

Encrpytion is open sourced, you can look up the alogrithms used and how they interact. AES-TWOFISH-SERPENT.
A1ty

Activity: 59

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:59:18 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 04:19:37 AM by A1ty

Bad idea. Shocked

HF:
Simple. Post something nice on that bitcoin talk thread, Pm your name on btc and paypal address., I'll send you 10c, you can do it as many times as you like as long as the post looks good, and the accounts aren't all 0 activity. Larger activity accounts posting can earn .50c a post.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=527100

mirror: http://imgur.com/oFUwxyE
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 04:10:09 AM

Bad idea. Shocked

HF:
Simple. Post something nice on that bitcoin talk thread, Pm your name on btc and paypal address., I'll send you 10c, you can do it as many times as you like as long as the post looks good, and the accounts aren't all 0 activity. Larger activity accounts posting can earn .50c a post.

Quoting to show what scum people like BitEscrow really are.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 05:13:20 AM

Bad idea. Shocked

HF:

mirror: http://imgur.com/oFUwxyE

Double quoted, also to add BitEscrow reported it to moderators wanting it removed as "personal information".

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 06:02:29 AM

We have a crowd fund listed here: https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/653 You can help us out by donating bitcoins, I would appreciate the financial help.

Frozen bit: A new take on cold storage. Your coins are stored offline independently from others, meaning your coins are always secure.

Link to Our Site: FrozenBit.io

Ever since I first reading about bitcoin in 2011 I've been obsessed with the possibilities of this. Just how much things can change, how much this would be for the better. Until recently.

Well, hello everyone. Over the last month after the gox (scam) hack, me and a team of developers have been masterfully crafting a solution to what happened at gox. We feel we've adequately found a solution. We've found a way to securely store coins OFFLINE without human error or intervention in the process getting in the way or compromising security. We've done it in a way that the private keys are neither stored client side or in the database, but offline in a separate server that their located in. (Protected by a PGP key)

Now you're probably thinking this is too good to be true? Well, I can tell you we've crafted the work around for this and found a way to mix security with accessibility. So lets review what the team of this wonderful bitcoin project has done. Use this to form your own conclusion on whether or not this is the most secure bitcoin wallet in the world.

Our main feature is, We've made it so EVERY USER GETS THEIR OWN COLD ADDRESS!

Our site will feature the following features:
1.) Instant Txt message alerts for every transactions.
2.) 2FA Authentication
3.) Individual Wallets
4.) In depth coin management
5.) 24/7 support
6.) Algorithmically calculated fees.

Now their is a downfall for not hosting stuff online. What we gain in security is changed for a lapse. The lapse is someone from our team has to manually "push" a withdrawal request. These requests will require you to verify by a pin sent to your phone that you did in fact do this withdrawal. Luckily someone is standing by to process this withdrawal.

Now guys, I know, let me repeat: I know, you don't believe me. That this isn't real, that it's a scam for bitcoins. I have no validation on your forum and I'm not going to insult your keen sense of ass hattery. This really is a service we are starting. Right now, we have back end developed, a VPS secured for blockchain confirmations, paying someone for graphics and an HTML coder. Those are all expenses coming right out of my pocket. I'm asking you to lend some assistance, I have listed some things down below I can offer. Costs add up quickly and I fear we may run out of funds, halting the project.

If you don't feel comfortable donating or need something resolved PM me, I can talk via skype. I'm sure you have questions, post them here or request my skype on the forum below.

I have more photos of the site being developed if you wish to see them.

Contact me :
Email: Zapados@outlook.com
XMPP: Vendetta@jabber.at
skype: Ask me, I use this to tak to devs. and wouldn't want to be spammed.
Phone: Ask me, If this is what this takes to prove this is legit we can do that. It's a real number and not google talk either.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FrozenBitIO

Lets not forget the site is: FrozenBit.io

It is live, but nothing it done for it yet! Ex. No homepage.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 06:19:39 AM

Also has another thread here. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=527138