Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:05:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you force the US government to accept a private key?  (Read 1360 times)
ScrapOfCat (OP)

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:48:27 AM

Under current law, is there any way to force the US government to accept and secure a private key. 

Squander electricity on piffle: 1CLQajy22Z2n9YjZurFfPaKApcqsQa8BzK

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4412

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:55:39 AM

Under current law, is there any way to force the US government to accept and secure a private key. 

they already have a bitcoin client and private key. they moved the silk road funds to it.

but i still wonder what your actually asking..

1. you want government to own bitcoins?
2. you want to make a random donation to them?

i thought they already had enough funds with fiat. why give away bitcoin to them, its rare remember. you might aswell give all your gold and silver jewelry to them for no reason. i would also say your house, but the way mortgages work, they already own your house.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DeathProxy

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

World's First Crowd Owned Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:01:59 AM

I don't think bitcoin is in the law yet.  Smiley

ScrapOfCat (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:16:58 AM

they already have a bitcoin client and private key. they moved the silk road funds to it.

i thought they already had enough funds with fiat. why give away bitcoin to them, its rare remember. you might aswell give all your gold and silver jewelry to them for no reason. i would also say your house, but the way mortgages work, they already own your house.

1. no
2. no

I am interested if i can force them to be a party to a 2 of 3 transaction.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 05:23:38 AM

You can mail somebody the key, but you can't force somebody to use it.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:27:10 AM

1. no
2. no

I am interested if i can force them to be a party to a 2 of 3 transaction.

Highly doubt it. For what purpose? What makes you think this is remotely feasible ?

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:42:34 AM

I assume OP wants to make the USGvmt complicit in a bitcoin transaction in some sort of preemptive strategy.

I can't think of any other reason to think up this scheme.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:01:26 AM

Send it through the mail to a general delivery address is the closest I can think of.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 07:10:37 AM

you will then see a rise in anonymous crypto currencies

the govt cant really force you to use a number against your will

they may be able to brainwash your kids starting in k12 that bitcoins is bad...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 07:11:48 AM

Force? no.

Coerce? Yes, and we will.

Game theory will coerce all governments to melt all their fiat for crypto, sooner or later.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:48:27 AM

The laws are so convoluted I shouldn't be surprised to find some idiotic statute to exploit with a decent (expensive, connected) lawyer.

Without knowing what the endgame is, I'm only commenting for my own amusement. Depending on the purpose, social engineering sounds like it would be involved at least a little. Strictly speaking, they own the men with guns, so no one forces the government to do anything. You'd have to convince them to do it somehow, unless you possess such a disproportionate credible threat of force as to move the might of the US to acquiesce. Coercion via blackmail or even sheer trickery is usually effective.

Honestly, it's just 3 AM and I'm taking a 10-minute break from work, so BCT amuses me. I no longer come here for serious discussions, because of things like this (which is far from the most absurd thing around here anymore). Feel free to add details that explain how this is a question that actually merits response. I figure you're a few bong hits too deep into that ever-so-profound contemplative stage where you muse over obscure string theory trivia and consider its applications if the world were really all inside a wardrobe, only to arrive at the conclusion that if everyone would just become elves, we'd have world peace.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
ScrapOfCat (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:24:08 PM

It is legally possible to force the US government to do things against its will, for example look into a Freedom of Information Act request.  They are also legally obligated to do certain things under certain circumstances, for example keeping juvenile criminal records from becoming public.  It is more an example of the second type I was looking for: some existing method I could use to send them a key they were then obligated to keep, and keep privately.

And Seriouscoin?  You need to get out more...

Zeglamancer

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 09:20:34 PM

It is legally possible to force the US government to do things against its will, for example look into a Freedom of Information Act request.  They are also legally obligated to do certain things under certain circumstances, for example keeping juvenile criminal records from becoming public.  It is more an example of the second type I was looking for: some existing method I could use to send them a key they were then obligated to keep, and keep privately.

And Seriouscoin?  You need to get out more...

I understand what you're saying but that would kind of function would most likely exist far outside the realm of any kind of cryptocurrency or even financial sector (i.e. the state has to release assets only to someone identified in a will etc)
wubaobao92

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 02:22:39 AM

no
labhsikh123

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 08:29:09 AM

It depends on the US Government policies that what could be taken step about this.
sindikat

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 09:08:22 AM

The main idea of creating cryptocurrency was independence. But I don't think people are ready for that. There are always those who want legalization. Why do you need cryptocurrency then. Use Fiat. It's legalized. Every user of cryptocurrency should be able to take responsibility for their lives and the assistance of the state in this I do not need.
Lanatsa

Activity: 2814
Merit: 647

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 06:54:24 PM

Same questions on my mind why such question been asked Grin Which is total crappy yet why would forced them to secure a private key?

It turns out that you are putting a gun in your own head when you do such thing. Giving out free money which it shouldnt really be done. This is why most people do love crypto because of this matter. Once you hold the keys you are on the full control of your holdings and no other will able to take it from you.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████