Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:31:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is why we can't have nice things.  (Read 4271 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 10:21:14 PM

Bitcoin's chief proselytizer, Bruce Wagner, at one of the few New York City restaurants that accept the currency.
Photo: Michael Schmelling

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/11/mf_bitcoin/all/1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grubles

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 10:36:38 PM

We can all bash on Bruce all we want but he has done more than 99% of us to help get Bitcoin where it is today.

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 10:42:28 PM

We can all bash on Bruce all we want but he has done more than 99% of us to help get Bitcoin where it is today.

Last Price: 2.32499

I couldn't agree with you more.

Also,

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 10:59:31 PM

Remember the business idea that got Bruce in so much trouble? It really wasn't a bad idea, just poorly executed. Forget his foibles and fetishes, he isn't dumb.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:00:50 PM

Remember the business idea that got Bruce in so much trouble? It really wasn't a bad idea, just poorly executed. Forget his foibles and fetishes, he isn't dumb.

Which one?

grubles

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:02:33 PM

If you think a single person made the price go down to where it is, you must be really misinformed or are just trolling.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:05:37 PM

Which one?

The mortgage one. I don't think he intended to scam anyone and it worked for a lot of people.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:08:00 PM

Which one?

The mortgage one. I don't think he intended to scam anyone and it worked for a lot of people.

Can you name even one person it worked for? He couldn't when the judge asked him to, hence why he was found guilty of fraud.

If you think a single person made the price go down to where it is, you must be really misinformed or are just trolling.

If you think a price fed to you by a privately owned, unregulated french dude in a Japanese flat constitutes trustworthy, you must be really misinformed or just trolling.

grubles

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:15:33 PM

If you think a price fed to you by a privately owned, unregulated french dude in a Japanese flat constitutes trustworthy, you must be really misinformed or just trolling.

So, now you are placing blame on Tux?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:17:13 PM

Which one?

Can you name even one person it worked for? He couldn't when the judge asked him to, hence why he was found guilty of fraud.

Didn't he plead the 5th? That's not admitting or denying anything. Anyway, he was setting people up with land contracts. These days, banks aren't loaning money for small houses and land contracts could benefit from cryptocurrency technology.

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:24:44 PM

Oh please can you give it a rest?

Bruce-bashing isn't funny anymore.

I personally enjoyed his enthusiasm and I somehow miss all the talks with people from the Bitcoin world.
Sure, the quality of his interviews left much to be desired but it was far better than nothing.

If somebody regularly releases shows with Gavin, Stefan, Mark, Jared and all the others then I'm thankful for it! I couldn't care less about his personal life or the history of his businesses.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:30:39 PM

Interesting article. Rather negative, but it's an exciting story.

I was interviewed for this article several months ago, so I've been waiting to read it. Smiley

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 11:34:06 PM

Ironically people could have just sued him if they really think he was involved in mybitcoin. That wasn't what happend.
I'm not saying he isn't involved, but that he is hasn't been proven either.

People need to get on with it and stop bitching.
Explodicle

Activity: 950

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 11:41:22 PM

He is a troll.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51434.msg613413#msg613413
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 12:01:43 AM

Matt placing price collapse on one person is childish.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 12:33:44 AM

It's called trolling. loL@everyone defending Bruce and actually thinking I care about him. This article should not have focused on him like it did. That was the point. The writer didn't do his homework. Gavin Andreson would have been a much better center piece for this article, no?

grubles

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 12:37:48 AM

It's called trolling. loL@everyone defending Bruce and actually thinking I care about him. This article should not have focused on him like it did. That was the point. The writer didn't do his homework. Gavin Andreson would have been a much better center piece for this article, no?

Why are you wasting everyone's time by trolling? Any shred of credibility you may have had just flew out the window. Next time you have a thought make sure you think about it 2 or 3 more times, wait a few days, and then think about it some more before you post anything.

Thanks,

the bitcoin community

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 12:41:20 AM

Why are you wasting everyone's time by trolling? Any shred of credibility you may have had just flew out the window. Next time you have a thought make sure you think about it 2 or 3 more times, wait a few days, and then think about it some more before you post anything.

You consider it a waste of time, yet you respond. Interesting. My credibility as what? An unknown and virtually anonymous forum poster? OHNOES. The only credibility that is worth having is based off of the work I do off of this forum.

If your understanding of human beings is that they all need to behave in a certain way just to be useful, welcome to the internet. It's going to be a long, hard, troubling road.

Back on topic-- Bruce should not have been the focal point of this article. Having his picture does not help us. There could be 10 posters here telling me otherwise, but I know that another 20 who think the opposite just haven't read this thread yet.

P.S. I'm glad to see more BTC VPS services.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 01:54:15 AM

I liked what Bruce did as far as bringing some brick and mortar merchants to bitcoin, and the associated publicity back then...
but now I wish he'd fade into the background and not put himself forward in any way regarding bitcoin.
I was disappointed to see his picture in that article.

Much as he *was* good for bitcoin - he now has the potential to be really bad for it,
so while I don't think we need outright animosity towards him,  some polite shunning is in order.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 02:00:11 AM

I liked what Bruce did as far as bringing some brick and mortar merchants to bitcoin, and the associated publicity back then...
but now I wish he'd fade into the background and not put himself forward in any way regarding bitcoin.
I was disappointed to see his picture in that article.

Much as he *was* good for bitcoin - he now has the potential to be really bad for it,
so while I don't think we need outright animosity towards him,  some polite shunning is in order.

One day I will earn that honor as well. To be politely shunned.  Cry

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: