Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:15:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chain Archaeology revisited -- suspected Satoshi SPENT blocks analysis  (Read 261 times)
DougM (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 120

View Profile
August 26, 2020, 10:51:20 PM
Merited by ABCbits (3), odolvlobo (2), o_e_l_e_o (2), Heisenberg_Hunter (2), AGD (1)

A lot of time an energy as been devoted to Satoshi potential fortune of UNSPENT coins (granted could me more than 1 million!), but I decided to take a harder look at the coins Satoshi just MIGHT have spent to see what they can tell us.

The article's author below reproduces Sergio Demian Lerner's blockchain analysis with the intent to infer LIKELY Satoshi mined coins using two main observations/patterns: 1) Coinbase Transaction's Extra Nonce pattern and 2) the block's own Nonce range pattern. Both observations reinforce and refine his initial thesis.  Yes, neither technique is absolutely definitive so by combining the two strategies reduces, but not eliminates, the amount of false positives.  For more background the article provides a decent summary of Sergio's analysis, but it is even better to hear it directly from Sergio's own blog where he has plenty of related articles on bitcoin Chain Archaeology here: https://bitslog.com/category/uncategorized/

At the end of the article, and without much ado, the author provides a list of 19 blocks he believes were mined by Satoshi:

The Satoshi Fortune https://medium.com/@whale_alert/the-satoshi-fortune-e49cf73f9a9b
Note: according to our research the following blocks have been mined and spent by Satoshi: 9, 286, 688, 877, 1760, 2459, 2485, 3479, 5326, 9443, 9925, 10645, 14450, 15625, 15817, 19093, 23014, 28593 and 29097.
Presumably the author concludes these are Satoshi mined blocks based on blocks matching the distinct Extra Nonce pattern w/ its coinbase transaction AND having the last byte of the block's nonce fall within a specific relatively narrow range.  However even if they two 'tells' are legit there is always a possibility of a false positive by shear coincidence.

Keep in your mind this article estimates Satoshi mined over 1.1 MILLION coins, but that is not what this thread is about.

Instead I decided to take this small list of SPENT coin blocks (article feel confident they identified a total of 907 coins spent by Satoshi  Wink) and put them to the test building upon a keen observation made by Taras back in his 2017 thread Payment No. 1: A Closer Look at the Very First Bitcoin Transfer https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2346992.0 (excellent background read!)

I analyzed the 19 spent transactions and found 4 more followed Taras' initial observation!  That is when you send bitcoins the early implementation of the bitcoin wallet simply grabbed the first coins available based on coinbase's transaction hash ORDER! (in other words NO option to specify which coins you wanted to spend it selected it for you using the transaction hash order)

Here is the breakdown order by transaction hash for each of the 5 starting with well documented first transaction EVER made between CONFIRMED Satoshi and Hal (reflecting Taras' findings) from Block 9:
The first version of the bitcoin wallet chose which coins were to be spent in a transaction based on the transaction ID the coins came from (actually by how many there are first, but in this case, all the transactions mined precisely 50 BTC, so that doesn't make a difference). The first payment to Hal Finney was in block 170, and newly mined bitcoins can only be spent after they have 101 confirmations, so only coins up to block 68 were spendable when the first payment happened.

Block 286: this suspected satoshi spender just happen to use the SECOND out of 423 blocks in TX hash order:

This image shows how first block with lowest transaction hash order (278) does NOT conform to either the Satoshi extra nonce pattern NOR the block's nonce pattern supporting that Satoshi spent his 'first available block' theory:

Block 688: yet again this suspected Satoshi spender just happen to have the lowest transaction hash order block available to spend out of 2,653 potential blocks:

Block 5326: and yet again this suspected Satoshi spender (matching both patterns) just happen to have the lowest transaction hash order block available to spend out of 11,307 potential blocks:

continued...

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DougM (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2020, 10:58:42 PM

Block 29,997: Last but not least is this last one that wasn't spent until 7/22/2010. It's transaction hash is the 8th lowest in terms of order out of 69,714 potential blocks BUT #1-7 are all previously spent is it is really the first available one.  I find that pretty amazing adding support this transaction was Satoshi and what are the chances that he just happened to have the lowest available transaction block in his wallet unless he happened to have a lot more coins in it  Cool

The timing is noteworthy I believe. Recapping some key Satoshi events:

• 5/10/2010: the Satoshi Extra Nonce and Nonce patterns largely disappear  with block 54316 (unknown if software change impacted pattern, Satoshi just changed his MO or simply stopped)
  • 5/17/2010: 600 BTC coins are transferred in two transactions where all 12 coinbases involved fit Satoshi Extra Nonce and Nonce patterns
  • 7/22/2010: a final transaction with 50 BTC using coins mined from block 29,097 that 1) conform to both Satoshi Extra Nonce and block Nonce range patterns and 2) just happen to be the next unspent coinbase out of 69,714 blocks available at the time this transaction was made!
  • 12/10/2010 Last post on bitcointalk  Sad
  • 4/23/2011: Satoshi emails Mike Hearn "I've moved on to other things."  Sad Cry

Questions, corrections, comments ?
DougM (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2020, 06:02:53 PM

I am sure if anyone finds this thread interesting or not (or if I am failing to explain it properly), but I did solve one mystery: 
Why were only SOME of the suspected Satoshi SPENT blocks following the lowest transaction hash pattern (Yellow highlighted ones) and others did not?

If you look closely at the spreadsheet above notice that the 19 coinbase mined blocks identified were only involved in eight [8] transactions sending bitcoins:

1) 9  -> sent 10 BTC to Hal  (earliest transaction hash pattern)
2) 286 -> sent 25 BTC (earliest transaction hash pattern)
3) 2459 & 2485 --> sent 100 (did NOT follow earliest transaction hash pattern)
4) 688 -> sent 50 BTC (earliest transaction hash pattern)
5) 5326 -> sent 50 BTC (earliest transaction hash pattern)
6) 1760, 3479, 9443, 9925, 10645, 14450, 15817, 19093, 23014, & 28593 --> sent 500 BTC (did NOT follow earliest transaction hash pattern)
7) 877 & 15625 --> Sent 100 BTC (did NOT follow earliest transaction hash pattern)
8] 29097 -> sent 50 BTC (earliest transaction hash pattern)

So 5 out of 8 followed earliest transaction hash pattern and all 5 were 50 BTC or less so only requiring one 'input' transaction to be involved from the Wallet, but when 2 or MORE input transactions were involved it didn't follow the pattern.   A bit more research and I think I figured out why:
[RFD] Coin selection algorithm and anonymity
The selection algorithm, which I call the "best fit" algorithm, boils down to:
   If there is a coin which exactly matches the payment amount, then use it
   Otherwise, find the coin (if any) which exceeds the payment amount by the least amount; i.e. if the payment is 10BTC and you have an 11BTC coin and a 15BTC coin, use the 11BTC coin
   Otherwise, find the best combination of coins which sums closest to the payment amount.
The selection algorithm makes it a little easier for someone to track the ownership of a given coin, which could allow the tracker to link two transactions to a given individual.

so it did not use the first transaction hash available when it did this logic: "Otherwise, find the best combination of coins which sums closest to the payment amount."

Here is the function from early main.cpp for reference:
Code:
bool SelectCoins(int64 nTargetValue, set<CWalletTx*>& setCoinsRet)
{
    setCoinsRet.clear();

// List of values less than target
    int64 nLowestLarger = _I64_MAX;
    CWalletTx* pcoinLowestLarger = NULL;
    vector<pair<int64, CWalletTx*> > vValue;
    int64 nTotalLower = 0;

CRITICAL_BLOCK(cs_mapWallet)
    {
        for (map<uint256, CWalletTx>::iterator it = mapWallet.begin(); it != mapWallet.end(); ++it)
        {
            CWalletTx* pcoin = &(*it).second;
            if (!pcoin->IsFinal() || pcoin->fSpent)
                continue;
            int64 n = pcoin->GetCredit();
            if (n <= 0)
                continue;
            if (n < nTargetValue)
            {
                vValue.push_back(make_pair(n, pcoin));
                nTotalLower += n;
            }
            else if (n == nTargetValue)
            {
                setCoinsRet.insert(pcoin);
                return true;
            }
            else if (n < nLowestLarger)
            {
                nLowestLarger = n;
                pcoinLowestLarger = pcoin;
            }
        }
    }

if (nTotalLower < nTargetValue)
    {
        if (pcoinLowestLarger == NULL)
            return false;
        setCoinsRet.insert(pcoinLowestLarger);
        return true;
    }

// Solve subset sum by stochastic approximation
    sort(vValue.rbegin(), vValue.rend());
    vector<char> vfIncluded;
    vector<char> vfBest(vValue.size(), true);
    int64 nBest = nTotalLower;

for (int nRep = 0; nRep < 1000 && nBest != nTargetValue; nRep++)
    {
        vfIncluded.assign(vValue.size(), false);
        int64 nTotal = 0;
        bool fReachedTarget = false;
        for (int nPass = 0; nPass < 2 && !fReachedTarget; nPass++)
        {
            for (int i = 0; i < vValue.size(); i++)
            {
                if (nPass == 0 ? rand() % 2 : !vfIncluded[i])
                {
                    nTotal += vValue[i].first;
                    vfIncluded[i] = true;
                    if (nTotal >= nTargetValue)
                    {
                        fReachedTarget = true;
                        if (nTotal < nBest)
                        {
                            nBest = nTotal;
                            vfBest = vfIncluded;
                        }
                        nTotal -= vValue[i].first;
                        vfIncluded[i] = false;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

// If the next larger is still closer, return it
    if (pcoinLowestLarger && nLowestLarger - nTargetValue <= nBest - nTargetValue)
        setCoinsRet.insert(pcoinLowestLarger);
    else
    {
            if (vfBest[i])
                setCoinsRet.insert(vValue[i].second);

//// debug print
        printf("SelectCoins() best subset: ");
            if (vfBest[i])
                printf("%s ", FormatMoney(vValue[i].first).c_str());
        printf("total %s\n", FormatMoney(nBest).c_str());
    }

return true;

I am not a C++ coder, but it appears when the desired amount to send (nTargetValue) is less (or equal to?) any of the wallet's final and unspent transactions then it simply grabs the first one (by transaction hash order it seems) and uses its coins for the transaction:
Code:
 for (map<uint256, CWalletTx>::iterator it = mapWallet.begin(); it != mapWallet.end(); ++it)
but when 2 or more are required it kicks into a different logic to "find the best combination of coins which sums closest to the payment amount" including changing the order of the transactions to be considered via this line I believe:
Code:
    sort(vValue.rbegin(), vValue.rend());

I still find the final transaction d3b94dcede3cbb08c7c0fdd1889478baa5a0b482cd917f276fa07be702326385 sending 50 BTC coins on /22/2010 using coins from coinbase transaction 000FB5BEC80D688D4F4CAD4F969BDAD655CED86248007E92C9500D70E00AD204 most interesting considering it used the first non-spent transactions out of 69,613 previous confirmed blocks and it conforms to the Satoshi mining patterns.

All of this simply explains why there was a stark difference in transaction hash selection if all of these spent coins were supposedly from Satoshi's own wallet. Otherwise, my theories were either the other transactions were not Satoshi's or somehow another wallet was in use by him, but this discovery provides a third explanation where it could still be Satoshi using his big old fat wallet. 

To be honest I was secretly hoping that Satoshi's special miner was simply burning the coins he mined to keep bitcoin going in the early days, but now I don't believe that is the case.  I guess he had to test out his wallet code he was actively involved in developing/maintaining before he move on so why not stress test it with his own massive coin collection?  Wink

Sergio_Demian_Lerner
expert

Activity: 552
Merit: 629

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2020, 03:36:45 AM

Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: