Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 06:36:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hold on to Your Bitcoins. Why April 8 2014 Might be a Defining Moment in Bitcoin  (Read 2073 times)
pdawg (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:32:13 AM

Windows XP support from MS ends.  Soooo.....  you ask?

"Well April 8 is the last date Microsoft will publish the latest round of security fixes for Windows XP known in the IT departments as the monthly “Patch Tuesday”. The first reported vulnerability after that date means the computer is unsecured and no longer compliant with the laws established by the PCI organization that grants authority to use the credit card payment networks......"

"As such, they may be barred from being allowed on the payment network. This includes ATM machines, which the organization estimates to be over 420,000 in the US alone and 95% of them are estimated to be running various versions of Windows XP underneath. This could spell the end for many merchants and ATM machines throughout the world that rely on credit cards or the payment networks under the control of the PCI organization."

Full read here:  http://bitcoinmagazine.com/11337/hold-bitcoins-april-8-2014-might-defining-moment-bitcoin-history/

alumar

Activity: 208
Merit: 117

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 05:35:40 AM

Sounds like another Y2K much?

Carter - Host of BitsBeTrippin
Original Cryptomining Channel on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/bitsbetrippin
pdawg (OP)

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:37:58 AM

This is why I love this site  Grin

AltCoin555

Activity: 243
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:14:17 AM

It's funny how this didn't make any news, but on Friday March 21st just after noon EST, a Microsoft update got pushed and crapped out a lot of the payment processors around the globe. This affected big names like Authorize.net and PayPal. Engineers fixed the issue in 20 minutes or so, but for a moment a lot of transactions could not be processed.

That issue had nothing really to do with PCI compliance, however when April 8th arrives, there will be nothing immediately disastrous. Just because a bunch of computers are no longer PCI compliant does not mean they will no longer be functional. It just means their security approval rating is under the minimum required by law. More-so, you will see large fines imposed on businesses that continue to use outdated and unsupported software, and even this will not happen for some time.

Finally, the systems that handle large-volume transactions through payment processors are most definitely not using Windows XP. This will likely hurt smaller companies and such that run their POS system through a Windows XP system. Something equivalent to banning cars pre-1999 without the proper upgrades from being able to drive on the road, this will affect low-income citizens among a nation.

Learn.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 07:15:32 AM

I love when the first reply hits the nail on the head. Well done sir or madam.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:27:53 AM

+1
dodododi

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:32:54 AM

I have never seen anyone kick out of anything for PCI compliance issues.
mechew

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:40:59 AM

This doesn't mean anything more than fee's and bank profits will go down unless this was budgeted.

Just because support is discontinued doesn't mean you can't pay Microsoft to support you which these banks will have no choice which is likely something most banks have been planning since being PCI compliant is a requirement.

I would say this would only help btc if banks elected to suddenly use new atm's that include bitcoin options.
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:39:25 AM

There is no such thing as compliance in rigged markets with fiscally powerful actors.
Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 01:21:32 AM

Don't nobody do anything, I gotta go get my popcorn. Anyone want anything while I'm up?
mysidia

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:05:21 AM

"As such, they may be barred from being allowed on the payment network. This includes ATM machines, ....

No.  ATM machines run Windows XP Embedded.
Support for Windows XP Embedded continues through January 12, 2016.

Some Enterprises with custom support contracts _may_ continue to receive certain security updates for XP, for the remainder of their custom support contract.

It's home users and small businesses still running XP that are screwed / in a rock in a hard place  (Upgrade now / get a new computer  [perhaps a Mac], switch to Linux, or be vulnerable).

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
seanneko

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:09:34 AM

I really don't see this as being big news. About a year ago I saw a Commonwealth Bank (one of the biggest banks in Australia) ATM which was in an endless reboot cycle - it kept blue screening when it reached the desktop.

It was running Windows 2000. This is infinitely worse than XP will be come April.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: