Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 08:31:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a startup on Haskell [youtube video]  (Read 85 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2020, 02:42:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR3Jirqk6W8

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
c_atlas

Activity: 140
Merit: 56

View Profile
August 31, 2020, 07:21:57 PM

Seems like building with Haskell isn't (wasn't?) for the faint of heart. Bryan is clearly quite bright and knowledgeable of different programming languages and paradigms, so in his case making his own tools could provide a high ROI far into the future. This reminds me of Yaron Minsky (CTO - Jane Street) who got the firm fully invested in the OCaml ecosystem, he made a similar argument to Bryan's (in the video) regarding functional programming as a way of filtering out the large set of software developers and finding a small subset of people that are 'interesting' and 'thoughtful'.

I've also noticed Haskell is used more frequently when some form of language processing needs to be done. I know Facebook uses Haskell for a lot of language processing in Messenger and other products.
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2020, 12:56:48 PM

I've also noticed Haskell is used more frequently when some form of language processing needs to be done. I know Facebook uses Haskell for a lot of language processing in Messenger and other products.

Also very used with advanced math topics like formal logic and automated theorem proving.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: