Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:14:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FCA’s proposed changes to AML reporting could catch out crypto exchanges  (Read 70 times)
Baofeng (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1658

View Profile
September 01, 2020, 08:52:44 PM

FCA’s proposed changes to AML reporting could catch out crypto exchanges

Earlier this week the FCA announced proposals to extend anti-money laundering reporting requirements in its financial crime controls to include virtual currency exchanges, such as all cryptoasset exchange providers and custodian wallet providers. The aim of the change is to strengthen AML defences.

Proposed changes

The FCA is now reconsidering the revenue threshold and proposes broadening its net to include firms, “that carry on regulated activities that we consider potentially pose higher money laundering risks.” This applies to firms or business that the FCA supervise under the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017 (“MLRs“).

The plans also require entities such as those that advise on investments and hold client money, as well as those that manage investments, to submit the updated reports. A new category of firms, within the scope of the FCA’s obligation, are cryptoasset exchange providers, which include businesses that exchange virtual money or cryptoassets or arrange their exchange.

Finally, the FCA plan to remove the following activities from the scope as they are no longer considered as falling within the MLRs:

1. home finance mediation activity; and
2. making arrangements with a view to transactions in investments.

https://www.finance-disputes.co.uk/2020/08/fcas-proposed-changes-to-aml-reporting-could-catch-out-crypto-exchanges/

Ok, so here we are again, a new proposal is being talk out, including revenue thresholds.

I think crypto exchanges are slowly becoming like a traditional banking system with all this proposals. I don't know if this is good news for crypto enthusiast as it means everything is being track, but what if you are just a regular trader and not pose as high risk for money laundering?

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
September 01, 2020, 11:36:21 PM

FCA has long been trying to cover cryptp exchanges amd that is what they are trying to do now with the AML procedures being applied to them. Crypto exchanges can really be used for illicit activities that's why things like KYC and AML procedures are needed as it involves financial transactions like what banks are doing. Yeah it may look like we are always under the radar when it comes to us giving our information but as long as we aren't doing anything illegal there is nothing to be worried about.
cryptomaniac_xxx

Activity: 1498
Merit: 566

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 10:03:28 AM

Every financial body now is really changing on the way they handle things specially if it involves crypto currency. So I'm not surprised by this move, although the timing makes it questionable. I mean the market is already in a bull run, but looking at how others governing bodies is with regards to tightening crypto regulations doesn't matter what the timing is. If you are a regular average joe then nothing to be afraid of, maybe some asking for more personal information that will make most of us not comfortable.
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 03:35:58 PM

Every financial body now is really changing on the way they handle things specially if it involves crypto currency. So I'm not surprised by this move, although the timing makes it questionable. I mean the market is already in a bull run, but looking at how others governing bodies is with regards to tightening crypto regulations doesn't matter what the timing is. If you are a regular average joe then nothing to be afraid of, maybe some asking for more personal information that will make most of us not comfortable.

They not "changing" anything they are just applying it all on cryptocurrencies. Maybe last 3 or 4 years ago we have seen the crypto industry not have some kind of requirements from the exchanges and a lot of exchanges don't require KYC but now you will barely see that as the government is moderately applying all of their requirements to the crypto industry. From KYCs, Tax reports, and other documentation all of these are being required by stock brokers, forex, and banks so I don't think we can say that it is "changing" when everything is just being applied to us.
Baofeng (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1658

View Profile
September 02, 2020, 09:42:45 PM

They not "changing" anything they are just applying it all on cryptocurrencies. Maybe last 3 or 4 years ago we have seen the crypto industry not have some kind of requirements from the exchanges and a lot of exchanges don't require KYC but now you will barely see that as the government is moderately applying all of their requirements to the crypto industry. From KYCs, Tax reports, and other documentation all of these are being required by stock brokers, forex, and banks so I don't think we can say that it is "changing" when everything is just being applied to us.

Perhaps the keyword is adopting, there are no changes at all, just financial regulatory applying KYC as mandatory now due to AML, in which the banks did comply years ago. And since crypto industry has been growing in the last 4-5 years, this financial watchdogs are adopting this as well to crypto exchanges. And that's why I said that exchanges are slowly turning into traditional banks.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████