Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:41:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Track down and confront Mark Karpele's wife and kid to get some answers  (Read 4091 times)
lorix (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:19:16 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2014, 05:04:36 AM by lorix

I can't read Japanese so have to rely on Google translate, but the gist I'm getting on this article's second page is Mark got them out of the country in January before things hit the proverbial fan:

http://gendai.net/articles/view/newsx/148396

Can anyone say "flight risk" ?

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 01:04:46 PM

If this is true it would be another proof of  that he is a scaammer and he stole all of those money :-)

Poor Mark. He is getting closer and closer to the jail bait.
Aditya

Activity: 164

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 02:38:05 PM

If this is true it would be another proof of  that he is a scaammer and he stole all of those money :-)

Poor Mark. He is getting closer and closer to the jail bait.

Soonish™

ATLAS.WORK     ║   WHITEPAPER  •  BOUNTIES  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE FREELANCE REVOLUTION
lorix (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:06:41 AM

Further to this, if her location in Canada is known it might be worth tracking her down to try and get some answers via whatever legal process is available there.

If anything this might help flush Mark out from wherever he is holed up.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:35:06 AM

Topic of this thread is stupid. His family has nothing to do with it.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 06:31:24 AM

The topic scared me a little bit since it seems like an illegal manhunt but if you think about it, knowing where his family live can help locate him in case he flees

lorix (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:50:57 AM

The topic scared me a little bit since it seems like an illegal manhunt but if you think about it, knowing where his family live can help locate him in case he flees

That's the point. I'm not suggesting a illegal mob with pitchforks approach but rather use whatever legal options are available to apply pressure where it may be most effective. There have been examples in the past of people transferring assets and property into the name of spouses and children to try and circumvent proceedings so everything should be considered here. Especially in light of the fact (according to the article) that they moved countries just before the situation at Gox started to be revealed.

Go after his family with the hard questions, keep the legal pressure on and don't let up. With the amount of missing money involved, the excuses and the blockchain facts that contradict them this may be the best way to shake the truth loose.

boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 07:03:27 AM

That's the point. I'm not suggesting a illegal mob with pitchforks approach but rather use whatever legal options are available to apply pressure where it may be most effective. There have been examples in the past of people transferring assets and property into the name of spouses and children to try and circumvent proceedings so everything should be considered here. Especially in light of the fact (according to the article) that they moved countries just before the situation at Gox started to be revealed.

Go after his family with the hard questions, keep the legal pressure on and don't let up. With the amount of missing money involved, the excuses and the blockchain facts that contradict them this may be the best way to shake the truth loose.

It is definitely an interesting idea, it is probably legal in most countries to search someone's adresses and public informations if you don't intend to harm him or you don't stalk him

I hope we will get to know more of what happened in this gox fiasco but I am sure there will always be a lot of mystery left

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:13:14 AM

Perhaps changing the tone of the thread title would help.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:13:13 AM

I can't read Japanese so have to rely on Google translate, but the gist I'm getting on this article's second page is Mark got them out of the country in January before things hit the proverbial fan:

It needs to be checked if Karpeles' wife and kid benefited from fraudulent conveyance. If so creditors can go after Karpeles' family to recover some losses.
Imerman2

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:43:20 PM

You are sick demented man, 80% of my crypto was in Gox, and you know what I hope for the best for Mark and to even mention his family in such a way is disgusting, they did not run the business so leave them out of everything, even legal procedures.  The guy made the first Bitcoin exchange which was a huge development and without that Bitcoin had no price determining mechanism, because there wasn't really a market.  He saw the price increase by an incredible amount and made mistakes, yes, but you know what, running a business is fucking hard.  Imagine trying to find employees qualified to work on Bitcoin.  It's not an easy task and he saw unbelievable growth and was hounded by the Feds for a bunch of bullshit.  Anyone who uses a third-party to hold their coins knows they are taking a risk and with Gox that risk was apparent.  If you lose coins, so long as he didn't steal them, which at this point seems very unlikely, then man up and accept the fact that YOU ignored warning signs and lost coins, because you did not want to get out when there were multiple chances.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 12:46:35 PM

It needs to be checked if Karpeles' wife and kid benefited from fraudulent conveyance. If so creditors can go after Karpeles' family to recover some losses.

Even so, it is no private persons business to track down someone. That is wrong on so many levels Sad

lorix (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 03:08:09 PM

You are sick demented man, 80% of my crypto was in Gox, and you know what I hope for the best for Mark and to even mention his family in such a way is disgusting, they did not run the business so leave them out of everything, even legal procedures.  The guy made the first Bitcoin exchange which was a huge development and without that Bitcoin had no price determining mechanism, because there wasn't really a market.  He saw the price increase by an incredible amount and made mistakes, yes, but you know what, running a business is fucking hard.  Imagine trying to find employees qualified to work on Bitcoin.  It's not an easy task and he saw unbelievable growth and was hounded by the Feds for a bunch of bullshit.  Anyone who uses a third-party to hold their coins knows they are taking a risk and with Gox that risk was apparent.  If you lose coins, so long as he didn't steal them, which at this point seems very unlikely, then man up and accept the fact that YOU ignored warning signs and lost coins, because you did not want to get out when there were multiple chances.

WRONG.

Get your facts straight - MtGox was originally created by Jed McCaleb and it was he that had the vision to turn it into a Bitcoin exchange. When it started to grow too fast he decided to sell it in early 2011 to Karpeles who bought it presumably to monetize and grow.  Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox

Jed was smart enough to hand it over when he realized it was bigger than he could cope with. Mark on the other hand BOUGHT INTO IT with the knowledge of what it was, and as CEO he bears FULL RESPONSIBILITY for any mismanagement that went on. My issue is that his reported past history, claims of being hacked and inconsistency between his version of events and what the blockchain says gives many of the affected people reason to think there was more going on than we are being told here.

You can't tell me that you wouldn't look at every possible option available to you if you lost a life changing amount of BTC on an exchange you were repeatedly assured was "safe".

Or would you?

Imerman2

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:58:55 PM

WRONG.

Get your facts straight - MtGox was originally created by Jed McCaleb and it was he that had the vision to turn it into a Bitcoin exchange. When it started to grow too fast he decided to sell it in early 2011 to Karpeles who bought it presumably to monetize and grow.  Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox

Jed was smart enough to hand it over when he realized it was bigger than he could cope with. Mark on the other hand BOUGHT INTO IT with the knowledge of what it was, and as CEO he bears FULL RESPONSIBILITY for any mismanagement that went on. My issue is that his reported past history, claims of being hacked and inconsistency between his version of events and what the blockchain says gives many of the affected people reason to think there was more going on than we are being told here.

You can't tell me that you wouldn't look at every possible option available to you if you lost a life changing amount of BTC on an exchange you were repeatedly assured was "safe".

Or would you?

Fair enough on Jed making it an exchange, I was going off Antonoupolous's claims on Molyneux's recent podcast where he credited Mt. Gox (which under the context seemed to mean was under the control of Karpeles) with giving Bitcoin a price discovery mechanism.  And no, I would not ever consider involving his family, especially considering that the details of a malleability attack and the reports coming out indicate they have almost all the coins, which is why I bought in at the start of this debacle.  Educate yourself rather than place blame.

You still can't say that you don't have any responsibility, as you say he has past history and has claims of being hacked that are inconsistent, yet you kept coins there.  I never had coins in Gox until BitcoinBuilder sold them at a discount because it was obvious Gox had serious issues, but I bet most of my life savings that the issues weren't as large as everyone was saying.  If you had coins in Gox and didn't think there was a risk, then you made serious mistakes and should own up to it, you are ultimately the one in control of your money, so blaming others is just an admission that you don't know what you are doing.

Karpeles is to blame for the mismanagement to a large extent of course, but to only blame him is what a coward does.  Man up, accept responsibility for your actions, and improve the management of your funds in the future.  If I lost the coins, then so be it, I knew the risks and will respond to whatever occurs accordingly to improve the management of my assets in the future.  If you don't place responsibility on yourself you will never learn to manage your wealth and these things will keep occurring.
Mahn

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 02:29:26 PM

As someone who lost all of his BTC to MtGox: LEAVE HIS WIFE AND KID ALONE. This has nothing to do with them, don't be fucking immature.

We'll get answers, Mark isn't going anywhere, he has obligations with the court and can't leave Japan, just be patient.

janos666

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 09:54:17 PM

As someone who lost all of his BTC to MtGox: LEAVE HIS WIFE AND KID ALONE. This has nothing to do with them, don't be fucking immature.

Well, the kid certainly is. But why are you so sure about the wife...? She could be involved in many ways at various levels. You don't know. Just like you don't know anything about Karpeles himself either. Or more importantly, the truth about Gox. And that's what makes people frustrated...
bakada

Activity: 144

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:59:57 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2014, 11:53:00 PM by bakada

leave the mans family out of it.
RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 12:04:31 AM

I don't care who's family it is, they weren't involved in it and certainly don't deserve what OP is saying. What would they think if they saw this? Come on dude.
janos666

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 12:15:36 AM

I don't care who's family it is, they weren't involved in it and certainly don't deserve what OP is saying. What would they think if they saw this? Come on dude.

Again...
How do you know it wasn't the woman's idea? May be she kept arguing with her husband until he finally gave in to her and they executed the whole thing together as she planned it.
I don't say this was the case but you can not know. So, why do you act like you know anything for a fact?

Even if the wife knows absolutely nothing about anything, but she intends to spen the money what her husband gave to her, she could probably spend stolen money. Is that OK?

Just to be clear.
I personally doesn't give a f**k about his friends or relatives. I am not even obsessed with Karpeles himself.
I care only about the coins, and even then I am far from being bloody serious (it's not that much). The person(s) behind it doesn't matter.
But I feel like I have to make these arguments when I read your posts: "Leave alone the innocent woman". -> Roll back to the beggining of the post: Who knows if she is in fact innocent? I don't. I have zero facts. Where is your proof? Do you have some kind of facts machine?
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 12:29:11 AM

Glad i'm not in this frenchman's shoes.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: