Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:02:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-03-23] Goxxed again: The new mystery of MTGOX bankruptcy  (Read 2589 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 01:22:44 PM

The new mystery of MTGOX bankruptcy

http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/33526

Shocked  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:26:34 PM

Please, let's just pretend that Mt.Gox never existed. This constant mention of Mt.Gox keeps hurting bitcoin price. Mt.Gox died, and that's for the better of bitcoin, let's not talk about it again, ever. Thank you.
segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:35:42 PM

Please, let's just pretend that Mt.Gox never existed. This constant mention of Mt.Gox keeps hurting bitcoin price. Mt.Gox died, and that's for the better of bitcoin, let's not talk about it again, ever. Thank you.
I agree
+1
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 04:51:16 PM

Scammers are nothing new in the Bitcoin community, a case of scam/fraud of this scale is bound to affect the price one way or another, you can expect any other companies committing large scale fraud like this to affect the price of Bitcoin in a similar way because this is a free market.
MadridReal

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:32:05 PM

Mt.Gox died, and that's all. How much can we talk about it again?
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:59:41 PM

Mark shouldn't be let near anything that handles Bitcoin ever again.

Frankly, I'm surprised someone hasn't hunted him down and beat his private keys out of him.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:08:17 PM

Frankly, I'm surprised someone hasn't hunted him down and beat his private keys out of him.
I am surprised too
It will end bad for him ,I fear
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:08:11 PM

Conspiracy theory hour, huh?

1. Someone at Gox stole all or most of the BTC on the exchange and was pretty sloppy with it.
2. Mt. gox had some very, very bad practices and misplaced the private keys to at least 200,000 BTC, only to recently find them. Maybe they dug a USB stick out of a sofa?
3. Law enforcement confiscated Gox's Bitcoins, or equipment the keys were held on in the process of some investigation, with a gag order to boot. Maybe related to Silk Road, maybe something else. IIRC, Karpeles hinted at some kind of big hassles with authorities he couldn't speak of.

What did I leave out?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 01:14:46 AM

The gift that keeps on giving or rather the coins that were not meant to be found

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
kooke

Activity: 448

Bitcoin super-duper-mega-ultra-hyper-node

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:27:50 AM

To the people claiming that the negative impact from the gox bankruptcy is over, I'd like to know upon what you are basing that statement on? There are still many unanswered questions and unaccounted coins that may or may not be dumped, as well as potential investors who may stay away from bitcoin now and current investors who want to get out. And let's not forget that more people have lost faith in all of the current exchanges.

You may be right that the worst had already passed, but I guess we'll know in a few months time.

Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:32:04 AM

I agree
+1

Offensive self delusions can get you banned Grin
Noruka

Activity: 910
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 10:29:10 AM

nobody "loses" 116 million worth of bitcoin and then randomly refinds them. He was planning to steal them and when people were digging deep he realized he wouldnt be able to get away with stealing them slowly over time.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:34:57 PM

No, people need to learn from the mistakes made regarding MtGox.

The major impact is over, and as time goes on, the impact Gox can have on the exchange rate dwindles to nothing.

The Bitcoin exchange rate is hardly hurting... it's correcting from an extremely steep increase. This should be expected.

+1

What happened with Gox has actually stabilised my noobishly optimistic view of the Bitcoin ecosphere. Reflecting on Gox is also forcing other exchanges to pull their socks up quickly.

And by all logic the long-term charts show that the exchange rate was going to get to this point whatever. What was interesting was seeing the wide difference between the exchange rate for Bitcoin on the one hand, and the exchange rate for Gox stocks and shares on the other, in February. A good display of resilience from Bitcoin.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 11:11:19 PM

there is still time for that  Grin

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:30:57 AM

nobody "loses" 116 million worth of bitcoin and then randomly refinds them. He was planning to steal them and when people were digging deep he realized he wouldnt be able to get away with stealing them slowly over time.

If the above is true, then he seemingly has control over the other ~600,000 BTC.
Doesn't that make sense?

howardb

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:49:29 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2014, 12:18:11 PM by howardb

If the above is true, then he seemingly has control over the other ~600,000 BTC.
Doesn't that make sense?
No it doesn't. The current conspiracy theorists allege that he realised he had a whole bunch stolen due to his own incompetance, and realised the company would not survive so decided to take the rest himself and blame it all on the original theft. Astute lawyers on the Canadian class action traced what appeared to be a large part of the money being washed through thousands of wallets, this may have caused him to realise he was not going to get away with it, hence the "oh look, i've just found 116 million in this account we thought was empty"!! yeah rightttttt...
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 01:26:02 PM

Doesn't that make sense?

yep, i guess he still owns them:

http://www.coindesk.com/today-gox-police-case-coin-rumors/

goxxxed again  Tongue

kroleg

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:43:03 PM

Totally agree! Let's forget about MtGox except not to forget the lessons we've learnt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: