Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:11:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Merit] Solve Aptitude Question  (Read 277 times)
ImThour (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1512

Bitcoin Bottom was at $15.4k

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 07:17:08 AM
Merited by SiNeReiNZzz (1)

Hey Fellas,

I just did my University Online Test of Aptitude and got an idea in my mind.
I am going to post three questions from Quantitative Aptitude and if you solve all three correct, you will be rewarded with merit.

It's only for Newbie & Jr Members of our community.
And I only have 1 sMerit for now so, only 1 winner.

Q.1 A can run 22.5 m while B runs 25 m. In a one kilometer race, B beats A by
A. 50 m
B. 100 m
C. 111 1/9 m
D. 25 m

Q.2 Average of five numbers is 20. If each number is multiplied by 2, what will be the new average?
A. 30
B. 70
C. 10
D. 40

Q.3 A train moving at speed of 90 km/hr crosses a pole in 7 seconds. Find the length of the train.
A. 120 m
B. 150 m
C. 175 m
D. 170 m

Good Luck and I hope you will learn something new today.
Note: This is not my homework or something, I got idea from my online test.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 08:03:19 AM

This is cool! I love solving math however Algebra is my worst enemy Grin. But let me try.

1. I find this question a little it confusing at first because there's no time included on the problem so I assume they got the same speed. So my answer would be letter B.

2. By creating simple equations, the answer would be letter D.

3. Are you really sure the length of the train or do you mean distance covered? That would be letter C.

Anyway, I think this thread iis more appropriate in the Off Topic section instead here. Nevertheless, you got a good intention. What a nice set of exercise for our brain. I love it :.
samputin

Activity: 1036
Merit: 294

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 10:11:13 AM

Not really answering for the merit ('cause I don't qualify haha, jk) but I just want to participate since this is math were talking about here and I love math. So here you go.

1. My answer is B.
2. Just need to one equation to another to come up with D.
3. Length of the train would be C. When it passed the pole, the whole train crossed it as well so it's just fine to ask for the length of the train and not necessarily the distance covered. Grin

Hope you don't mind if I didn't attach my solution. Though it doesn't necessarily have to have one. This was fun by the way. Thanks for that. Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████     
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████   
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
!
CryptocurencyKing

Activity: 1288
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 11:24:49 AM

Clearly you did point out your category of participants in your aptitude quest to get merited and I clearly don't fall in that category but sometimes, it's not about the merits. As you can see so far, you've got the participation of a Sr. Member, Full Member and now me being a member. At times, it's a test of one's self to measure up in the quest of knowledge. Trying to see how far you (we) can recall as evidently, most of us have met similar calculations in course of our academia and it's always a good thing to keep the brain working in this aspect. On this note, though it comes without prove as non was required but it was surely calculated, I give you my answers:

1. Option 'C'
     As B is faster than A by 111.1/9
2. Option 'D'
     As remains the only possible divisor of 2 and multiplicative factor of 5 to average.
3. Option 'C'
     As 175m of train crosses pole in 7seconds
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 12:21:36 PM

3. Length of the train would be C. When it passed the pole, the whole train crossed it as well so it's just fine to ask for the length of the train and not necessarily the distance covered. Grin
You got a good point dude. Maybe I just get used to phrase like "distance covered" every time I solve math problems hahaha because that's what I usually see.
1. Option 'C'
May I know how your solution? Because your answer is different from me and samputin. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that your answer is incorrect. I'm just curious on what approcah you used. Please enlighten me Smiley.
CryptocurencyKing

Activity: 1288
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 12:47:29 PM

1. Option 'C'
May I know how your solution? Because your answer is different from me and samputin. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that your answer is incorrect. I'm just curious on what approcah you used. Please enlighten me Smiley.
No, not at all, I'm not offended and I get your point. We are all out here for the knowledge aren't we?
No one can really know his right or wrong until proven otherwise. Okay.
Here is how I arrived at that answer:
1000m = 1km
And from the question, A covers 22.5m distance in contrast to B which covers 25m distance having a difference of 2.5m distance between them both. Hence, for every 22.5m distance covered by A, B covers 2.5m more. Therefore;
In 1000m,
B covers it by 1000 ÷ 22.5 = 44.44...
Recall that: For every 22.5m A covers, B covers 2.5m in addition so since, A covered 1000m in 44.444...laps,
B covers more with 44.444... × 2.5 = 111.1

I guess it's logical enough but then, if your confused at my step, you can just point out where for further explanation and I'll see to how I can justify that but then,
What do you think and how about yours?
ImThour (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 01:04:36 PM

I really appreciate all of you answering these questions and as per the criteria, I am still waiting for any Newbie or Jr Member to reward else I will reward any one of the entries by other members.
Glad you people took initiative to answer and enjoy this small quiz.
SquirrelJulietGarden

Activity: 1316
Merit: 726

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 01:38:24 PM

I think the topic belong to off-topic, not Beginners & Help.
Off-topic is for "Other topics that might be of interest to bitcoiners."

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 01:39:40 PM

-snip-
The question says "In a one kilometer race, B beats A by". Therefore, B beats A when B finishes the race. You have calculated the difference from when A finishes the race, by which time B has run 1.111111111... kilometers.

In a one kilometer race, by the time B has run 1 kilometer, A has ran 900 meters.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 04:11:22 PM

Have they brought in online tests since the pandemic? I remember having to sit in interviews being given things like the p=np problem and asked to solve it. (potentially unsolvable, the test was your analytics).
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 09:09:33 PM

-snip-
The question says "In a one kilometer race, B beats A by". Therefore, B beats A when B finishes the race. You have calculated the difference from when A finishes the race, by which time B has run 1.111111111... kilometers.

In a one kilometer race, by the time B has run 1 kilometer, A has ran 900 meters.
Very interesting perspective you've got there o_e_l_e_o. However, the whole calculation thing made my head spin. I am curious as to why an answer option isn't there for it. How I just dislike (not hate, anyway) maths. Sincerely, I wish we could solve maths with English (not in English, though).

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Darkelf11

Activity: 509
Merit: 43

View Profile
September 14, 2020, 03:05:36 PM
Merited by Peanutswar (2), ImThour (1)

Reminds me of our General Mathematics class and Physics class Smiley I'm not good at it but I do have learned some. Let me try it.

Q.1 A can run 22.5 m while B runs 25 m. In a one kilometer race, B beats A by
A. 50 m
B. 100 m
C. 111 1/9 m
D. 25 m
This question actually lacks some information, there was no given time or speed of each participants. It brings confusion, you may think that they can only run 22.5m and 25m respectively, so that can mean that they can't finish a one kilometer race(1000 metres) since they only can run of 22.5 and 25m. No winner LOL.
But assuming they can finish the race without any given time. They constantly runs 22.5m/unit of time and 25m/unit of time respectively, B will beat A by about 99.9999metres, so the answer will be B. 100m

Q.2 Average of five numbers is 20. If each number is multiplied by 2, what will be the new average?
A. 30
B. 70
C. 10
D. 40
D. 40, the summation of those 5 numbers will be equal to 100 since the average is 20. (100/5= 20.) Just multiply the 100 by 2, you'll get 200 then divide it by 5, which is equal to 40. There's also other much easier methods, like multiplying 20 by 2.

Q.3 A train moving at speed of 90 km/hr crosses a pole in 7 seconds. Find the length of the train.
A. 120 m
B. 150 m
C. 175 m
D. 170 m
You've given unit of km/hr and  a time in sec. And the choices was metres, so firstly, we need to convert each given:
90km/hr will be equalivalent to 25m/s.
1km= 1000m
1hr= 3600s
We will get (1000/3600)(m/s), lowest term is (5/18)(ms).
Multiply it by 90, we get 25m/s.
Since the trains passed the pole within 7 seconds, then we will multiply it by 25m/s.
7s * 25m/s = 175m (length of the train)

C. 175m
ImThour (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2020, 07:15:38 AM

Merit sent, locking the thread.
Thanks for participating to all the members of the community who replied.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: