Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:15:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: container relocation  (Read 113 times)
glinko (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 6

View Profile
September 21, 2020, 05:06:59 PM
Merited by NotFuzzyWarm (1)

Hi.
Is there anybody know how to connect a mining container from Russia in US?
We build mining farm in 20ft container that consume 700Kw. We use 630A circuit breakers to connect it to the grid and whatsminers that can use 200-277V.
And we plane to relocate it to US. So the main problem is the connection to the grid here.
As I know there are two typicale commercial connections here 120/208 and 277/480 and we can use both.
But what is the practice of connecting powerful equipment here?
If for example we find a place near the power line with 13KV, do we need to buy and install our own transformer on our side and call electric contractors to do it or we just need to call our local elecric provider (fpl) and they will connect us to the grid with the parameters we want?
I tryed to call fpl, but their first question is the address of connection that we still don't have so it depends on ability to connect to..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2494

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 21, 2020, 06:13:26 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2020, 02:48:42 PM by NotFuzzyWarm
Merited by frodocooper (3)

Well to start, the reason the utility wants to know the address is so they can determine how close the nearest substation is located to where you want to setup the equipment and be sure that their local grid can support what you want. They also need to verify that the area is zoned as either commercial or light/medium/heavy industrial to allow your operation there. An added 'gotcha' is that in the past couple years some utility companies located where power is/was dirt cheap (mainly in Oregon and Washington state) have become very unfriendly to mining operations so that may or may not factor into things.

That said, for loads less than a few MW usually the utility provides the main distribution xmfr that steps down to either 208 or 480VAC 3-phase wye (3 lines, 1 neutral) along with connecting the transformer to their grid. Lines from the transformer to the main incoming low voltage service disconnect and from there to your breaker panels is paid for and done by you.

Things the utility will want to know are:
   Desired voltage (208V or 480V 3-phase w/neutral)
   Type of load (lighting, motors for compressors, data-center)
   Desired service capacity load
   Expected average load
   Maximum short-term load on startup (mainly applies to large refrigeration or A/C compressors)
   Building plans detailing your power distribution at least up to your main breaker panel so they can be certain it is a safely designed setup that they are connecting to

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 2198

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2020, 09:36:32 PM

where in FL are you looking to locate it?

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
glinko (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2020, 02:14:57 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2020, 11:51:51 PM by frodocooper

[...]

Thank you. It becomes clearer.

where in FL are you looking to locate it?

4 hours far from your location. In West Palm or near that area. But it is not so strict.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2494

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 23, 2020, 02:53:58 PM

Your 1st Merit given for:
A clear and intelligent question
Actually responding to answers given without needlessly re-quoting everything Smiley

Both are increasingly rare here...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2020, 02:59:28 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2020, 11:51:23 PM by frodocooper

4 hours far from your location. In West Palm or near that area.

Understood - you will be on the east coast then - but yes they will need the address first to see what is already being supplied to that area and if not sufficient for what you need, what they will need to do to supply it. If they are like my electric company, they will install the transformer but charge you for it.

I am currently a lot smaller operation at present - only 200 amps worth of miners at the moment but looking to expand - roughly to 750 kw/h at first and then to a much larger facility.

When you are fully set up, if possible, I would like to arrange a visit with you and compare notes - you may be able to assist me with getting more established at my location.

Keep us informed on your progress!

Mine BTC @ kano.is
glinko (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2020, 03:40:53 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2020, 11:52:21 PM by frodocooper
Merited by frodocooper (2)

As I see you have perfect electricity rates if your provider is Duke Energy.  you can get it as low as 3c/kw or something around. So it is not so strict for us to place it here. I mean it is more important to get a low electricity rate. So if you guys have an ability to find a good industrial place in your area where we can set up our equpment, we can cooperate in some way.

to show what we do https://youtu.be/y4Vh4Z3KXOg . This is our first "suitcase" with s9.
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2020, 04:24:05 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2020, 11:52:43 PM by frodocooper

currently, my rate is 5 cents - I have discussed with my power company about lower rates - for them I just have to use enough power and they will eventually drop the rates.

Let me reach out to them and see what it would take consumption wise to get it to 3 cents rate.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
glinko (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2020, 04:59:12 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2020, 11:54:54 PM by frodocooper
Merited by frodocooper (3)

It's a bit tricky. You can check here https://www.duke-energy.com/_/media/pdfs/for-your-home/rates/rates-fl/pe-rates-ist-2.pdf?la=en if you have (or will have Smiley ) more than 500kW of demand and you're able to turn it on/off properly ( with an eye on ON-Peak time). I think you can reach 1c/kw Smiley But you have to mine only 15 hours out of the 24 (on weekdays).

If I understand it right "Billing Adjustments, except for the Fuel Cost Recovery Factor", in that tariff you have NOT pay for fuel used to produce an electricity for you. May be you can earn some as an "Interruptible Demand Credit". Another charges here https://www.duke-energy.com/_/media/pdfs/for-your-home/rates/rates-fl/pe-rates-ba-1.pdf?la=en.

Electricity providers and power plants really suffer from the nonlinear daily loads. So thats why alot of them creates special tarrifs for interruptable or curtailable loads. And it's really suks that we still dont have independent system operator here in Florida like Ercot or MYSO or NYSO.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: