Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:11:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wait for RDNA2 or get 5700 now?  (Read 164 times)
luke07758 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 23, 2020, 09:39:13 PM

I have been mining for a bit (w/ 1050Ti), but I'd like to upgrade to something with more hashrate (and also something with more than my 4gb vram so I can mine Ethash). I have been looking at the 5700/5700XT and I can find them used for around $300 USD secondhand. My question is, should I buy one of these now or wait until the new AMD cards come out? I know the prices will go down when the new cards come out, but I wonder what the profitability will look like by then. I really don't want to spend more than $300, so I doubt any of the cards they release this year will be within my price range.

I intend to mine ETH or ETC, although currently I just mine RVN or kawpow on Nicehash because the DAG size is too large for me to mine ETH. I just don't know if it will be worth it to wait, do you think I would make enough in mining over the next 2 months to compensate for this cost? e.g. if the price for 5700 goes from $300 down to $250 when Big Navi cards are released then I would need to make $50 mining for it to be worth it to buy right now, I just have no idea how much to expect in 2 months and no idea what the price will look like by then. What do you guys think is the best bet, to buy 5700 now, or buy 5700 when Big Navi cards come out?

Also, about Ethereum 2.0, when ETH is no longer mineable, what will this look like for profitability of ETC or other altcoins? The nethash is very large for Ethereum so when it can't be mined anymore, I would assume that a decent amount of this hashrate would transfer to mining ETC. So will that cause ETC profitability to go way down?

I would appreciate any of your thoughts about the near future of mining and what I might be able to expect from the current state of the altcoin markets, let me know what you think
Thanks,
Luke
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1313

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2020, 12:08:01 AM

You're asking to many questions that even the old miners can't asnwer  Cheesy

I'll try to help you
If you asked me about the moment to buy a card to mine I would answer as soon as possible, because no one knows the future
Maybe the cards will fall in price, maybe not, 5700 have an excelent efficiency with power consumption and hashrate, if you have the money right now and want to mine, buy it
You're thinking to save 50 bucks, maybe, and wait more than a month?

Go ahead, put the card to mine and in two months you can have a decent profit if your electricity price is low

Nobody knows about the end of ETH mining, since I started to mine, every year is the same fear, and nobody knows about the next coins to be mined, or if ETC will remain at the same algo etc

Did you get the idea? It's hard to have sure about mining, nobody can guarantee nothing here  Wink

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
chinh.daongoc

Activity: 64

View Profile
September 24, 2020, 01:05:18 AM

i think you should try to buy 3080. If you can't, look for 5700XT, because 5700 out of stock now.
luke07758 (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 24, 2020, 03:04:26 AM

Go ahead, put the card to mine and in two months you can have a decent profit if your electricity price is low

Nobody knows about the end of ETH mining, since I started to mine, every year is the same fear, and nobody knows about the next coins to be mined, or if ETC will remain at the same algo etc

Did you get the idea? It's hard to have sure about mining, nobody can guarantee nothing here  Wink
Ok thanks, I will probably go ahead and buy one soon.

i think you should try to buy 3080. If you can't, look for 5700XT, because 5700 out of stock now.
As much as I'd like a 3080 I really just don't have the budget for it. And I know the 5700 is out of stock but I'll probably buy a used gpu not new, so I can find those just fine on sites like craigslist or ebay.

Thanks for the advice
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: