Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:21:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Survey for Bitcoin users on financial/news habits  (Read 1207 times)
smyers (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:41:25 PM

Hi guys!

Just introduced myself over in the newbie section (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=527738.msg5858320#msg5858320); I’m currently a PhD student at USC’s Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism. I’m doing some research on alternative economies and technology, and have put together a survey to understand how Bitcoin users’ habits relate to their financial, economic, and news habits outside the platform.

The survey is completely anonymous and should take about 10 mins. to complete. I’ll make the results available to anybody who’s interested in them as soon as the survey closes in early April. It's available at this link: https://usc.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9KPy7dn2S6DPPo1

I’d like to get as wide a range of responses as possible so apologies if you see this cross-posted on a couple other forums – please feel free to share the survey link with other Bitcoin users.

Any questions, feel free to PM me or contact me directly. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Best,

Sarah
smyers (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:37:21 PM

The survey will only be open for one more day, so if you haven't participated yet it is still available at: https://usc.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9KPy7dn2S6DPPo1

The more participants, the better the results will be - I'll be posting the initial findings shortly after the survey closes.

Thanks very much to everyone that has participated so far!
allenove

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:13:26 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 09:49:15 AM by allenove

Hi guys!

Just introduced myself over in the newbie section (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=527738.msg5858320#msg5858320); I’m currently a PhD student at USC’s Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism. I’m doing some research on alternative economies and technology, and have put together a survey to understand how Bitcoin users’ habits relate to their financial, economic, and news habits outside the platform.

The survey is completely anonymous and should take about 10 mins. to complete. I’ll make the results available to anybody who’s interested in them as soon as the survey closes in early April. It's available at this link: https://usc.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9KPy7dn2S6DPPo1

I’d like to get as wide a range of responses as possible so apologies if you see this cross-posted on a couple other forums – please feel free to share the survey link with other Bitcoin users.

Any questions, feel free to PM me or contact me directly. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Best,

Sarah

you make a good point, and it's a real challenge for researchers to study news habits when they've become so highly networked. In this case, it wouldn't matter too much since clicking through links from one site to another would all count as exposure.
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:58:49 PM

I have filled out the questionnaire can I ask why your doing this? And your welcome for my support and I'm glad your interested in bitcoin

bitbitz

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:17:00 PM

Someone on redit did a cool survey too!
mycoin25

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 09:02:09 AM
Last edit: April 12, 2014, 09:25:17 PM by mycoin25

Hi guys!

Best,

Sarah

I have filled out the questionnaire, I feel it is good, I support.
timecoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:07:32 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2014, 08:33:33 PM by timecoin

Also expressed support for you. Cheesy Cheesy
There were a few questions about the section on media outlets - I've got a detailed outline of how media was being measured in the paper, which I'm happy to share with anyone who's interested.

ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 01:28:08 PM

I took the survey ... it was a bit strange. For example, you've classified sites as 'Visited' and 'Not Visited'. Maybe all I read is the economist and followed a link to forbes from there. Now I have visited both these sites, but it makes no sense to equate them on the same footing. Same with Twitter. It seems like I'd primarily be on Twitter and follow links to most things you posted.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:47:02 PM

The media sources listed in survey seem to be predominantly those that "young people" visit. I am not a young person, so I've never visited many of those sites to get my financial news.
thresher

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:24:24 PM

Took the survey to help you, but you should tell people it takes less than 5 minutes, and is really simple.
I'm not really sure about how you choose to classify your news sources as:
The media sources listed in survey seem to be predominantly those that "young people" visit. I am not a young person, so I've never visited many of those sites to get my financial news.

So you take someone like this guy that probably has all sort of funds, an ira, insurance, budget managing, a mortgage, etc.
Compare him to an 18 year old who doesn't have the fiances or need for that stuff.
And you get the 18 year old being more well informed with financial news, since he goes on twitter?

BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 03:03:03 PM

Completed survey took 5 minutes hope it helps you. I must say a lot of newbies on this site are a welcome addition.

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
bridgesro

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 03:11:32 PM

Just completed the survey. Good luck with your Ph.D program!
smyers (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:40:51 PM

Hi All,

Thanks again for your participation in the survey - it's now closed, and I'll be working on the data analysis over the next few days. Hopefully I'll have something to share very soon!

There were a few questions about the section on media outlets - I've got a detailed outline of how media was being measured in the paper, which I'm happy to share with anyone who's interested (just e-mail me at sarahmye [at] usc.edu).

But the short answer is, the objective was not to look at media consumption as a way of assessing how well informed users are (that would have required a very different and much longer survey), but instead to look at exposure to a broad range of media, including traditional, financial and tech outlets. I'll be sure to discuss this when I have the data, but I would anticipate that some people tend to focus more closely and deeply on a few news outlets (as @Soros Shorts and @thresher rightly point out) while others read more broadly.

@ruletheworld, you make a good point, and it's a real challenge for researchers to study news habits when they've become so highly networked. In this case, it wouldn't matter too much since clicking through links from one site to another would all count as exposure.

Anyways, more soon and feel free to post/email me if you have any more questions!

Sarah
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: