Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:48:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Use your skills and patience; but do your fucking research.  (Read 175 times)
Steamtyme (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 2036

View Profile
September 24, 2020, 02:44:41 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2020, 03:30:08 PM by Steamtyme
Merited by Foxpup (4), suchmoon (4)

While I am writing this in regards to a specific case this is a universal request. It's not uncommon for DT members to pick up the cause for a scorned member of lower rank and help elevate their case for community attention/warnings. The problem lies in anyone jumping to conclusions and acting on that before attempting to fully understand the entirety of the situation. I think it's a pretty good idea if there is suspicion but aren't sure to open a topic for community involvement and information gathering. It's completely different to open up an accusatory thread on limited or wrong information and/or just fling accusations to see what sticks.

Now I am writing this based on the  information I have at the moment, which includes a retraction post, now unsupported flag, removed feedback.

User Tedfrost essentially faced the worst scenario for trade/escrow. Attempting an honest trade, facing attempted scam and then being accused and judged as the scammer.

The scammer recruited a scambusting DT member to pick up their cause and Ted loses it and the forum is essentially dead to them now. This isn't about the level of activity the account has. It's minimal and at first glance doesn't seem an account worth saving or having. Hell it resembles a million accounts that do come here to scam, limited posting and only looking to trade, a gift card being one of them of all things.

Not the point. They were an account that was here, making use of the forum in their way, and now doesn't even see the value in coming here for that. They weren't here spamming away  or solely here for earning, they came here to help move crypto along using it in their way.

The damage is done, so I'm guessing this should just be a learning experience for the entire community. Let's not get lazy in researching things before labelling people's accounts. I'm not sure what JollyGood did in the end, but simply editing the post, and locking it from discussion seems to be the least one could do and almost feels like sweeping it under the rug. At a minimum I hope you sent the account a PM, expressing your sincerest regrets.

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2020, 03:37:21 PM

Perhaps we should start opposing flags based on telegram screenshot "evidence" as being "at least partially false". That shit irritates me to no end. This is fucking Bitcointalk, not telegram/facebook/discord/etc police.
Steamtyme (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 2036

View Profile
September 24, 2020, 04:13:20 PM

Perhaps we should start opposing flags based on telegram screenshot "evidence" as being "at least partially false".
At a minimum not supporting these flags, when there is a reasonable doubt. It all comes back to due diligence, and making an informed decision rather than simply reacting. I didn't even get to read through the initial evidence, I simply read the OP last night and made a point to go back to look into it further this morning; mostly because it stood out to me in "Currency Exchange".

Especially when it comes to flags, they are permanently on an account. theymos made this very clear from the start, with that there should be more care taken when creating and supporting/opposing them.

The weight certain evidence carries will vary from user to user. Sometimes screenshots are all there will be and I think it should play out something like this. "Evidence" is presented, both parties come and say their piece in the thread, conclusions can be drawn, or even a lack of definite judgement is achieved. Either way it's better than jumping to conclusions and negatively impacting the investigation/situation.

This could have gone much worse at that. I don't blame Tedfrost for their expletive laced response to the thread, being falsely accused. The problem there is how often does that generally make them look like the guilty party? It generally leads to an instant backlash and further skews the public opinion of guilt. I'm glad that a few yesterday did check things out and that JollyGood retracted so soon, but was fairly upset looking at the situation this morning.

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀