Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:25:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Coin Goals BETA: Get rewarded and award others for accomplishing goals  (Read 1075 times)
TimeIsBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:19:52 PM

https://i.imgur.com/rdKYrme.png

URL: http://coingoals.com

How It Works

Coin Goals allows you to use bitcoin deposits and prizes as an incentive for you to accomplish the goals you set for yourself. When you set up a goal, you decide how much the goal is worth to you. Knowing that you need to accomplish your goal in order for you to get your deposit back and to win more bitcoins as a prize can be a great tool to help you stay motivated.

If you accomplish your goal, you'll get your deposit back, minus a small 1% fee. At the end of the month, you'll also have a chance to win an additional 100% of your deposit amount as a prize for accomplishing your goal. The month of the prize pool that your goal belongs to is determined by the date that your goal ends. For example, if your goal ends any time during the month of March, you will have a chance of winning a portion of March's pool.

If you do not accomplish your goal, you can still feel good knowing that 100% of your deposit will be distributed to other users as prizes for accomplishing their goals. The idea is to help yourself as well as others in the community with their self-development. Distributions are provably fair (see the FAQ).

What's to stop people from gaming the system and reporting fake goals?

First of all, Coin Goals is an experiment to see if a trust-based system where a community helps and motivates each other can work. Users reports their own success themselves, so everything is purely trust-based. I encourage everyone to play fairly so that the tool can work as designed.

Having said that, one way to prevent abusers is to require a fee when funds are returned. Currently, the fee is 1%. A) This will help deter those who simply want something for nothing. B) It also acts a small fee for using the service and will go to pay the bills.

I am fully open to suggestions on how to prevent abuse to the system. Some ideas I've already received:

Idea 1: Return only 50% of a successful goal's deposit to the user, while sending the other 50% to the prize pool. This way, only those that truly want to help others will participate.

Idea 2: Require users to add "accountability" accounts, such as friends or family, which will report the success/failure of goals.

Idea 3: Require that all goals be publicly verifiable. Proof of the success of a goal must be uploaded with the report (such as pictures of proper diets, marathon website time statuses, etc). The community will then decide if a goal is successful or not. This idea can be made an option in addition to idea 2.

If there is interest in this project, then I'll keep developing and managing it. Submit your feedback below or to email: hello@coingoals.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:49:48 PM

uh...
I keep your coins, you do work, I give back your coins?

TimeIsBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:49:03 AM

You forgot a step: you may win the same amount you deposited at the end of the month.

Here is one similar website: http://www.stickk.com/

And another which is even more similar that I found out only after making Coin Goals: http://www.gym-pact.com/

It seems there is a demand for goal setting applications, so I figured the bitcoin community may find a use for it, too  Smiley
Kyraishi

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:54:31 AM

yeah, but who knows what you will do with the coins.
and If I'm right a goal don't need always have to be done?
such as someone who did all he can, but still failed.

TimeIsBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 01:27:50 AM

yeah, but who knows what you will do with the coins.
and If I'm right a goal don't need always have to be done?
such as someone who did all he can, but still failed.

Same with any bitcoin company. The pool address is public, so it's fully transparent, and the winnings are provably fair. Doesn't get much better than that.

You set the goals yourself, so you would need to set it to something that you know is doable--it's purely trust based. I will not enforce minimum requirements.

And you don't have to use it if you don't feel like it =P No pressure, my friend.
Kyraishi

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 01:50:39 AM

Haha can I set a goal "drink at least one time water each day for a month"
Lol

UberNifty

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 06:23:54 AM

So if I am to understand this properly... I'd put up x BTC with an intended 'self improvement' type goal, and a timeframe.

If I make the goal, I get my BTC back less some type of fee + qualify for random drawing for upto 100% (or lose my BTC)? If that is essentially correct, it's a pretty kickass concept.

It's like gambling, only different.  Wink

How much BTC has been lost to unfulfilled goals so far?

"Remember, the blockchain is truth..."
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:23:46 AM

TimeIsBitcoin, what's your goal? Collect a triple-quadruple digit amount of BTC, and abscond with it? Wink

Signature space available for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: