Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:58:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin difficulty and best share  (Read 718 times)
Verge (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:09:49 PM

Hello

I am new here but I have actually been mining for a little while so I am not totally new to Bitcoin or mining alt coins, such as doge.

I do have a question that I have had a hard time finding a straight answer to. Let's say like Dogecoin right now is around 1000 difficulty. What does that difficulty number mean exactly. I know in general what it means, but I am wondering if there is a formula or something like what size hash do I need to submit in order to solve a block at difficulty level 1000?

My miner shows things like 12.2k/256 share submitted on share submissions and there is a best share of 4.2M displayed at the top. If what I think this is showing is correct, if I submit a best share of some certain number I will solve a difficulty 1000 block? Is this correct or am I way off?

Thanks
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:46:49 PM

i think that the difficulty is just a number showing how difficult it is. and also i think blocks are rewarded when they are solved and the difficulty just means how much its going to take to solve it. theres no way to know how much u need to sovle a block

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1432

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:35:55 PM

i think that the difficulty is just a number showing how difficult it is. and also i think blocks are rewarded when they are solved and the difficulty just means how much its going to take to solve it. theres no way to know how much u need to sovle a block

off topic.

are you THE durrrr?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
silvestar
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:55:47 PM

You can refer to the bitcoin wiki to understand what difficulty is.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Difficulty

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3276

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:11:09 PM

In order to "solve a block", the miner has to generate a hash that is less than a certain value. The value is determined by the difficulty. The higher the difficulty, the lower the hash value must be. The formula for Bitcoin is in the link above. I assume most coins work the same way.

In order to measure the number of hashes a miner generates, a pool implements a similar system but they use a lower difficulty value. In your example, "12.2k" is the difficulty corresponding to the hash value that you generated. "256" is the minimum difficulty required to be awarded shares. If you generate a hash that is greater than the value corresponding to a difficulty of 256, then you get 256 shares of the next block reward that the pool receives.

If you generate a hash that is less than the value corresponding to a difficulty of 1000, you have solved the block for your pool.

The "best share" is the difficulty value corresponding to the lowest hash value you have generated so far. It doesn't really tell you anything, except that if it is greater than the pool's difficulty then you have received some shares, and if it is greater than the coin's difficulty, then you have solved a block.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: