Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:45:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Way to Store Your Nano Ledger S?  (Read 308 times)
jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1750
Merit: 186

View Profile
November 28, 2020, 04:43:00 PM

Okay like to update this thread.  I put my nano ledger s in one of those containers HCP suggested and put the silica pack gel inside.  Now if i keep it there for a few weeks, then open it and use it and put it back in, do i need to replace the silica gel packs?  I put two of those gel packs.

Also... do i need to put that usb cable in the container as well?  If so, is it safe to put both the cable and the nano ledger s in the container with a few silica packs?  Or best to use a different container for each?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2020, 04:52:19 PM

I put my nano ledger s in one of those containers HCP suggested and put the silica pack gel inside.  Now if i keep it there for a few weeks, then open it and use it and put it back in, do i need to replace the silica gel packs?  I put two of those gel packs.

Only if they absorbed lots of moisture, which they probably didn't within a few weeks depending on where you live.

Also... do i need to put that usb cable in the container as well?  If so, is it safe to put both the cable and the nano ledger s in the container with a few silica packs?  Or best to use a different container for each?

Grin Grin Grin

You can basically use any USB cable with data pins. It doesn't need to be the original one. So in the end.. it doesn't matter.
If they break, use a different one. There is absolutely no issue with that procedure.

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18588

View Profile
November 29, 2020, 12:33:45 AM

Now if i keep it there for a few weeks, then open it and use it and put it back in, do i need to replace the silica gel packs?
The lifespan of these packs is dependent on how much moist air they come in to contact with, not a set time scale. Once you have sealed them inside your (presumably small and airtight) container, then they will fairly rapidly absorb the moisture in the few cubic inches of contained air. If you open the container to remove your Ledger and immediately close it again, then again they will only be exposed to a few cubic inches of new moist air. If you open the container and leave it open for an hour while you use your Ledger, then they will be continually exposed to new air.

Let's say you've put in two packets which are 5 grams each. These 10 grams of silica gel will be able to absorb around 4 grams  of water. At 80 degrees Fahrenheit and 100% humidity, it takes about 8000 cubic inches of air to hold that much water (very rough calculation). So provided you are only opening it every few weeks, and provided you close it up every time and don't leave it sitting open for minutes or hours while you use your Ledger, you'll be fine to only replace the packets every few months.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: