Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:52:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RTX 3080 problem  (Read 684 times)
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
October 07, 2020, 05:11:48 AM

components will be fixed with new model releases. asus tuf 3080 didn't cheap out on components BTW.

It's funny, $700 gpu's with $5 capacitors instead of $15 and then you rma and they say it was your fault hehe
Igor's Lab was the first to make an observation (not a definitive note of blame) regarding the capacitors. Of course every tech channel wanted their clickbait videos uploaded for maximum crisis views. Hadware Unboxed had a much calmer and methodical review of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhyCdraz54s

There's always a chance the 1st iteration will bear some great abilities that the manufacturers will quickly nerf. In this case the first iteration simply had a little power delivery issue which will be fixed on next production run. Suffices to say this card was rushed to production.

Nvidia should be subject to a class action lawsuit over this particular release.

It would be nice to see it happen.

Most likely that will never happen.
I simply don’t understand why nvidia has shit releases over and over and over and over again.

more of a complaint about shortages and somewhat of bad parts.

The only saving grace was I was not able to buy one ☝️ so no real loss for me.

gamers hate miners (crypto people) due to buying up the cards.

now they get the taste of crypto---just like buying shitcoins after an exchange listing LOL  Cheesy
Daltonik
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1490

View Profile
October 09, 2020, 04:59:20 PM

If the problem is the architecture of the elements on the printed circuit board, then I think manufacturers can fix it in a timely manner by changing the configuration to avoid such overheating, the main thing is to recognize this and find a technical solution, just of course such a start for a new generation of Nvidia cards is alarming and will make many refrain from buying Nvidia Amper cards for a while, it's good that I refused to pre-order them. Sad
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
October 09, 2020, 06:11:55 PM

If the problem is the architecture of the elements on the printed circuit board, then I think manufacturers can fix it in a timely manner by changing the configuration to avoid such overheating, the main thing is to recognize this and find a technical solution, just of course such a start for a new generation of Nvidia cards is alarming and will make many refrain from buying Nvidia Amper cards for a while, it's good that I refused to pre-order them. Sad

The issue as I see it was a tradeoff between better heat dissipation vs higher stable clock, One type of cap had better
heat disspation but was less stable at higher clock rates.

I don't know what went into the decision making so I won't challenge the decision one way or the other. The real problem,
IMO, is they didn't engineer the clock rates properly for the type of cap used.

This makes it more of a PR issue than anything else and I fear a PR solution. Had the boost clock rates been specified correctly
we wouldn't be having this problem. Now to save face they will be forced to meet the incorrect specs, likekly at some less
immediately visible cost, like shortened life span.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 10, 2020, 06:47:33 AM

Igor's Lab was the first to make an observation (not a definitive note of blame) regarding the capacitors. Of course every tech channel wanted their clickbait videos uploaded for maximum crisis views. Hadware Unboxed had a much calmer and methodical review of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhyCdraz54s

There's always a chance the 1st iteration will bear some great abilities that the manufacturers will quickly nerf. In this case the first iteration simply had a little power delivery issue which will be fixed on next production run. Suffices to say this card was rushed to production.

Nvidia should be subject to a class action lawsuit over this particular release.

I simply don’t understand why nvidia has shit releases over and over and over and over again.

I think nVidia thought they could do the same thing as AMD did with their unstable drivers. The thing is nVidia is not AMD and 20-40% of their product is just selling image and reputation. This issue plus the card availability (or lack thereof) has really soured me on buying any 3xxx cards. I only wasted 10 minutes on launch day before I realize it was a 3 ring circus. They got reamed by the tech media and are hoping they can avoid the same issues with the 3070 - they sure as hell better have more than 30 minutes of supply.

Oh well, let's see how Big Navi turns out.
ZeeeN

Activity: 297
Merit: 3

View Profile
October 10, 2020, 07:05:04 PM

I think nVidia thought they could do the same thing as AMD did with their unstable drivers. The thing is nVidia is not AMD and 20-40% of their product is just selling image and reputation. This issue plus the card availability (or lack thereof) has really soured me on buying any 3xxx cards. I only wasted 10 minutes on launch day before I realize it was a 3 ring circus. They got reamed by the tech media and are hoping they can avoid the same issues with the 3070 - they sure as hell better have more than 30 minutes of supply.

we can't say nvidia driver not have any issue but nvidia driver is better than amd and nvidia fix issue faster than amd.

i have amd driver issue black screen when not use screen around 20min and 18month past update last driver still have same problem  LOL
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 11, 2020, 03:25:28 AM

we can't say nvidia driver not have any issue but nvidia driver is better than amd and nvidia fix issue faster than amd.

i have amd driver issue black screen when not use screen around 20min and 18month past update last driver still have same problem  LOL

You have to look at the cards as a whole instead of looking at each individual card. nVidia drivers have typically been more reliable out the door but they've also been shown to consistently lower FPS in games in future driver releases. If you tend to play a mix of both new and old games you'll find the nVidia cards (in general) will lose performance with newer drivers. Compare this to Hawaii, Polaris and Navi cards which seem to improve as time goes on.

Catalyst drivers still feel bloated compared to nVidia's drivers but I like AMD hardware improving with age as opposed to team green.
hartedy

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2020, 07:46:00 AM

same with me..any have solution?
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 11, 2020, 01:28:27 PM

gamers hate miners (crypto people) due to buying up the cards.

now they get the taste of crypto---just like buying shitcoins after an exchange listing LOL  Cheesy

That is okay at moment, eth profitability crashed very hard, only idiots are buying gpus to mine right now and from what is coming, the $0.40 per 30mhs net people are earning will become a negative if eth price does not rise very soon, forks to reduce profitability will soon turn dreams into nightmares hehe, eth needs to close to at least $800 by this years end in order to keep hopes and dreams alive hehe. We will see how it turns out.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: