Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:52:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am in negotiations with presidential candidate Ron Paul...  (Read 4218 times)
­­­Atlas_ (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 02:42:08 PM

I spent a good few hours speaking with the man last night discussing the elimination of the gold standard and competitive private currencies. Eventually the subject came to Bitcoin. After firmly convincing him that Bitcoin is the monetary standard of the future, he wants to back his entire campaign with BTC. I am negotiating with him to become his funding manager when it comes to Bitcoin funding.

Well, this is going to be huge.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ksd5

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 02:44:29 PM

Unless this is an April Fool's joke, of course...
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:01:53 PM

Here we go, and I have hoped for a little bump in xrate on mtgox  Grin

I'm with the April Fool's joke.  Considering that I live in Rand Paul's district, campaigned for both him and his father (2008 presidential run); and that I am a Kentucky State Delegate, I have more to say about this than the average bear.  I can say for certain that 1) the Pauls are aware of Bitcoin (as well as other alternatives) but don't think too hard on that,(gold is another subject) neither has a couple hours to spend talking to anyone outside of their family or professional teams, and Bitcoin cannot be accepted for a political campaign due to campaign finance laws.  (I checked).

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2011, 04:50:08 PM

I'm with the April Fool's joke.  Considering that I live in Rand Paul's district, campaigned for both him and his father (2008 presidential run); and that I am a Kentucky State Delegate, I have more to say about this than the average bear.  I can say for certain that 1) the Pauls are aware of Bitcoin (as well as other alternatives) but don't think too hard on that,(gold is another subject) neither has a couple hours to spend talking to anyone outside of their family or professional teams, and Bitcoin cannot be accepted for a political campaign due to campaign finance laws.  (I checked).

How's Bitcoin compare to all the however many small donations that Obama received?

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 06:09:05 PM

How's Bitcoin compare to all the however many small donations that Obama received?

1)  I wouldn't call Obama's average donation "small" and...

2)  the campaign finance laws require that they cannot accept donations from anyone that they cannot show is an American citizen; which in practice requires disclosure.  Bitcoin undermines disclosure.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 06:22:48 PM

2)  the campaign finance laws require that they cannot accept donations from anyone that they cannot show is an American citizen; which in practice requires disclosure.  Bitcoin undermines disclosure.

They do not have to accept anonymous donations, do they? This is just a matter of organization to ensure that all the bitcoin donation come from US citizens. You do not argue that this cannot be done when using bitcoin, do you?

No, it could be done.  It's just not (perhaps, yet) worth the work to set up a bitcoin donation system that will not provide the donator a bitcoin address until s/he provides the data, and asking for that data tends to offend the kind of person who might otherwise donate to a Paul.  Using credit card donations, the credit card company provides most of that required data.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 06:33:09 PM

Wouldn't be "too" hard. Setup a donation site, people register there with some sort of IRS approved proof of their identity (let's say social security #), then send a wallet.dat through the site, or burn it on a cd and ship it via the postal office.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 06:35:35 PM

This gives me an idea for a poll

river

April 01, 2011, 06:46:52 PM

Instead of check an action against LAWS that are obviously corrupt .. how about checking the action against the 'constitution' of you nation (which most governments intentionally violate).

Bitcoin is just currency .. hence it is lawful to use as currency ... not because I said so .. but because it does not violate constitutional rights or liberties.  It's just money.  Only the corrupt laws made my high treasonous central bankers make it 'illegal' .. but it's still lawful, depending on it's application.
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 07:10:15 PM

Instead of check an action against LAWS that are obviously corrupt .. how about checking the action against the 'constitution' of you nation (which most governments intentionally violate).

Bitcoin is just currency .. hence it is lawful to use as currency ... not because I said so .. but because it does not violate constitutional rights or liberties.  It's just money.  Only the corrupt laws made my high treasonous central bankers make it 'illegal' .. but it's still lawful, depending on it's application.

Unfortunately, for the average citizen, it doesn't matter whether a law is corrupt or not, they will be punished all the same for breaking said law. Especially since most jurors probably don't even know what jury nullification is (by design I suspect), not to mention the perversion that is case law. Knowing a law is corrupt is one thing, intentionally ignoring it because of that knowledge is another. While this can be an exciting undertaking for activists, it's something the grey man wishes to avoid. Of course, avoid it for too long and you can only try to enjoy your slavery. 
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 07:15:27 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2011, 07:28:06 PM by goatpig

The issue isn't that Bitcoin is illegal, actually it isn't (yet). The issue is that you have to prove you are an American citizen to donate to an American political party. The true issue actually is that such a party has to prove it received its donation from American citizens only. This is obviously a law to prevent the involvement of non American interests in national politics, but then again, given the USA involvement in the world, maybe foreigners should have their word in American politics.

rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 07:30:09 PM

maybe foreigners should have their word in American politics.

Right after American citizen's get theirs!  Grin
river

April 01, 2011, 07:44:08 PM

I am American .. I'm Canadian .. duh!
You guys really need a name for your Nation, instead of taking the Continents name.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 08:01:45 PM

You guys really need a name for your Nation, instead of taking the Continents name.

aren't they study geography using globe of united states, it's a miracle that they do not call it united states of earth  or better yet united states of solar system Wink

Patience...

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 08:22:53 PM

Actually im French =O

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 09:20:59 PM

2)  the campaign finance laws require that they cannot accept donations from anyone that they cannot show is an American citizen; which in practice requires disclosure.  Bitcoin undermines disclosure.

Unless it is a Bitcoin funded U.S. corporation.

Corporations, unions and PACs have different political donation rules altogether.  I don't know them well, but I doubt that this would work.

river

April 01, 2011, 09:24:33 PM

Or if you are a United States citizen.  And send it with a published address linked to yourself.
As I said .. it all depends on how you APPLY it.
Anonymous

April 01, 2011, 11:52:02 PM

bitcoinusa requires ID to use their service. It would be easy for them to say who is a US citizen or not.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 01:12:38 AM

bitcoinusa requires ID to use their service. It would be easy for them to say who is a US citizen or not.

Very good point.  In my defense, they didn't exist when I brought this up.  Perhaps bitcoinusa is a solution.

danglybits

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:55:22 PM

If there were a way to verify donations made to a candidate then you could pay american citizens to make donations.

I suspect that many people who would support Paul do not because they do not want to end up on a "list" that gets published.  Many others do not care about the "list", but have no money.   

Solution:  make a donation, get a receipt, get reimbursed via bitcoin and keep a small percent.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: