Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:31:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nefario is not very Communicative Employer[CLOSED]  (Read 4868 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:00:21 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2011, 05:38:23 AM by kiba

I lost a job with Nefario a few weeks ago without knowing it. Today, he informed me the reasons why I lost my job.

I did the work and meet the deadline as far as I know. However, he said that I was unenthusiastic, slow with my work, poor communicator and was not very autonomous and that I was only in it for the money. He did not informed me weeks ago as to why he have an issue with my work and hence discontinuation of no more jobs. of work.

So, I do not have opportunities to fix my mistakes and I have the impression that I have an amicable relationship with my employer. That was not the case!

Consider the implication that my reputation will be damaged if Nefario told others how bad my work was and I did not know of his opinion. I cannot fix it until after the fact!

The pay was very good for what I can get in the job market and he promised me work and work for months. It would be better if I had known it way back then that he did not like my work and will not continue to employ me.

Unemployment due to perceived or real bad performance is bad, but false hope of employment is the worst thing.

Others who worked with Nefario may have good experience with him, but not me.

Truth-telling and accepting truth and doing it in a timely manner is a very important quality in an entrepreneur or a boss. Tell me what I don't want to hear, now! I want to know he fires me, now! Not several weeks later.

That is the extent of my complaint on Nefario.

P.S.

This is not an April Fool joke.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EvanR

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:10:52 PM

May I suggest a contract? Even if you don't trust state enforcement of them, it's still a solid agreement between both of you which you can objectively evaluate when the time comes. At least it would give you more things to complain about when things go wrong. Also 'how well party X upholds contracts' is a good reputation builder.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:21:55 PM

May I suggest a contract? Even if you don't trust state enforcement of them, it's still a solid agreement between both of you which you can objectively evaluate when the time comes. At least it would give you more things to complain about when things go wrong. Also 'how well party X upholds contracts' is a good reputation builder.

It's a communication issue, above all else. I cannot fix a problem if I don't know there's a problem with my work!

That was fatal to my ability to be employed. Imagine a customer saying he likes my work even though my work are horrible.

wb3

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:26:19 PM

I am a fan of contracts per job. Longterm contracts are always doomed to fail at a predictable percentage rate. I.E. Home Mortgage is based on your employment but they assume that you will remain employed at the same rate or greater salary for 30 years. That is ridiculous.

Either get a contracted employment or you are working on a "as is" basis and should be expected to be let go for any reason.

You are lucky that he gave you a reason, most employers don't for fear of reprisals (legal or otherwise).

If what he says is correct, it is a bad model.

Most freelancers work by contract. Pay me this, for this, in this amount of time. etc...

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley
wb3

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:27:36 PM

It's a communication issue, above all else. I cannot fix a problem if I don't know there's a problem with my work!

That was fatal to my ability to be employed. Imagine a customer saying he likes my work even though my work are horrible.

Happens all the time, the key is if the customer buys your work.

Just like an interview, they like you but don't hire you.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:47:13 PM

Anyway, I decided for all future employment, I will make people sign a contract, with GPG and all that jazz.

I don't know how to write a good contract, but it's better to know that you're fired now rather than knowing that you got fired 4 weeks later.

­­­Atlas_

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:52:54 PM

Anyway, I decided for all future employment, I will make people sign a contract, with GPG and all that jazz.

I don't know how to write a good contract, but it's better to know that you're fired now rather than knowing that you got fired 4 weeks later.
A good contract is a clear contract. It's not too difficult.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:57:51 PM

A good contract is a clear contract. It's not too difficult.

Everybody knows what's a good contract is. I just think it's easier said than done.

MDKing

Activity: 80

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 09:36:53 PM

Has he paid you anything for the work you submitted/time invested?

Strictly from what I've read in this thread, if you were in Canada you already have a valid legally binding contract. Also, contract or not you still may be legally entitled to a fair percentage of funds promised to you regardless of whether Nefario was happy with your work or motivation.

MDKing

Activity: 80

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 09:39:04 PM

... and that I was only in it for the money.

Also, I didn't realized this was an unacceptable attribute of an employee. It will be interesting to hear Nefario's side.
wb3

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 09:46:22 PM

I don't think he needs to voice his side. However, letting someone think they are still employed is a little dubious. I am guessing the paychecks were on a monthly basis. Otherwise, who continues to work without getting paid. Oh... Californians... they take those IOU's.

I might be able to have a good start-up out there, just pay with IOU's.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 11:00:01 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2011, 11:15:06 PM by kiba

I don't think he needs to voice his side. However, letting someone think they are still employed is a little dubious. I am guessing the paychecks were on a monthly basis. Otherwise, who continues to work without getting paid. Oh... Californians... they take those IOU's.

I might be able to have a good start-up out there, just pay with IOU's.

No, he did not gave me any work for a month. So he doesn't owe me anything.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 11:02:41 PM

... and that I was only in it for the money.

Also, I didn't realized this was an unacceptable attribute of an employee. It will be interesting to hear Nefario's side.

Here is the message Nefario PMed me:

Quote from: nefario
OK I'm going to be frank and honest here, I always found it really annoying when I went for job interviews and didn't get the job and no one would ever tell me why. So here is some feedback, I hope it's helpful.

Firstly it became obvious that you were more interested in the money than the job. I know there are not too many people available in this job market but that doesn't mean I have no choice.

When I told you we were going to use fossil instead of git you did nothing but complain and grumble about it. This showed a lack of enthusiasm. And fossil is really easy to use and install, it's just a single binary with no dependencies.

You took quite a while to actually get started on the bit of work that you did, and was not very good at communicating what you were doing.

I got the feeling that I had to chase after you to get you to do that bit of work. If this is how things were starting imagine if they were to continue or get worse. And the fact that this whole project is distributed across the world complicates this even further.

The other issues were on my side, I needed someone who was more self directed as I wouldn't be able to watch over you to direct your every move. I have serious limits on my time and being remote in different time zones makes this worse. I don't want to have someone on the payroll doing little or nothing because I haven't given them a task. We don't have that much capital to waste.

What you should do is pick your own project, work on it for a couple of months, release it, get some users and then sell it for bitcoin. This way you get experience, build up a portfolio of work and crate capital at the same time.

I hope this helps.

The only issue I have is that it took Nefario so long to tell me this or that he didn't like the work I do and neglect to tell me this. (as far as I know, I completed the work according to the assignment and deadline I was given)

Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 12:01:53 AM

I'm working for nefario too (on the same project, I might add,) and he/she (It says female on the profile) hasn't contacted me, or responded to me for weeks. Did he say anything about me? Do you think I lost my job too? I was actually really excited for this.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 12:03:41 AM

I'm working for nefario too (on the same project, I might add,) and he/she (It says female on the profile) hasn't contacted me, or responded to me for weeks. Did he say anything about me? Do you think I lost my job too? I was actually really excited for this.

I don't know anything about you. I did not know much about the other employees and we didn't communicate even once.

Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 12:17:02 AM

Quote from: nefario
When I told you we were going to use fossil instead of git you did nothing but complain and grumble about it. This showed a lack of enthusiasm. And fossil is really easy to use and install, it's just a single binary with no dependencies.
Sorry about that part by the way, that was mostly my fault. I've worked with git before, but for some reason, I couldn't get it to work this time on my piece of crap computer. I was on IRC with him, and told him I was having a little trouble, and he told me to try fossil before continuing with getting git to work. Fossil was up and running in minutes, so he decided to stay with it. Did he tell you that was because of me? If you told me you had a problem with it, I would have tried harder to get git working.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 12:24:57 AM

Fool. I PM'ed you to ask if you want to help out. You replied then did nothing.

Your loss.

Don't know about Kiba but I suspect the same.

Are you both 12? I guess you're only good for making crappy forum posts attacking people rather than taking the initiative to write useful code. Not here to be your parent. In the future if you want to work on the net, you have to be pro-active and self-directed.
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 12:31:36 AM

you're only good for making crappy forum posts attacking people

Irony? For someone calling others out for making crappy forum posts attacking people, this one sure was filled with vitriol.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2011, 12:52:55 AM

Chill genjix.

Well, this is not the most pleasant thing to wake up to. I would think that this sort of thing should be dealt with in private(not airing your dirty laundry in public sort of thing), but since it's been brought out into the open then I guess we'll have to deal with it that way.

Firstly a little background, this is all to do with a bitcoin company that has started, we are building a stock market that deals in bitcoin. I'm the CEO/president/organiser or whatever you would like to call it.

We have a number of investors as well as investing 1/2 of my bitcoin wealth myself. I had invited kiba to join in too, but he prefered not to risk his capital, which is understandable. However at the time, me and kiba were working together on the bitcoin weekly, and I wanted to involve him in the project somehow. So I asked him to do some development.

Kiba was not the only one, there was also Ryland Tylor Almanza who did some work for the project.

This was my first experience hiring anyone, it was also my first experience working with others in a development project.

Not long after starting the project changed, what was planned to be a client written in Ruby changed to be written in Python.

I wrote to kiba.
Don't do anymore work on the client, we may be making some big changes and any additional work may be wasted.

There will be a delay in work (for you) for about a week before we start moving again.

Give me an address to pay you for gemifying the vop libraries. Is 25btc for that ok?

I think we started poorly(my own fault), things will be much better once we start off again.

regards nefario.

I don't have a record for Ryland, however I paid both kiba and ryland for the work they had done, and told them that there was nothing happening for them at the moment.

After that well to be honest things moved on in the project(as well as my non-bitcoin workload increasing) and I didn't inform them, mainly because I had forgotten. It wasn't until a few weeks later when kiba pm'd me asking when was I going to have more work for them.

Well, with Ryland I had asked genjix to get onto him, that he seemed bright and enthusiastic but nothing came of that(genjix said why). With kiba that was awkward and, hoping that he would get the idea didn't reply. But kiba kept pm'ing me and so I sent him a reply, the one he quoted above.

So it was a mixture of a few different things, my own lack of experience in working with, and overseeing others, my own time constraints which meant I wouldn't be able to oversee someone that needs a lot of direction. And my own dislike for bearing bad news.

These are all my own problems, I admit that, I even said so much in both messages I sent to kiba.

Ryland, I have no problems with you, as I said I think you're bright and enthusiastic, we'll it's just the project has moved on and because of my own limitations I can't handle you, and you never replied to genjix so I assumed you were not interested in continuing.

Kiba, Chill, what I pm'd you was meant as advice, something you could use to reflect on, and use to make some self improvements. I hadn't complained to anyone about you. Do you think I'm like some fat executive hanging out in a boardroom with others, smoking cigars while we laugh and crack jokes about our underlings at their expense?

I'm just some person on a crappy, tiny, laptop in China who teaches English for a living. Trying my best to get something done. If I wanted to badmouth you I would have written a public post on the forum to air those things I sent you in the pm.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 02:47:29 AM

Are you both 12? I guess you're only good for making crappy forum posts attacking people rather than taking the initiative to write useful code. Not here to be your parent. In the future if you want to work on the net, you have to be pro-active and self-directed.

I lost a job without knowing.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: