Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 11:35:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DuckDuckGo removing OpenStreetMaps and promoting Apple's. Is it still reliable?  (Read 44 times)
20kevin20 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1598

View Profile
October 17, 2020, 10:58:54 AM

I have been using DuckDuckGo for a long time now in an attempt to support services that are privacy-focused. It's been going very well so far - especially that I can use it without JavaScript - but it looks like OpenStreetMap isn't an option anymore when looking locations up.

Instead, we have Apple Maps as the remaining option - and it looks like DDG's recent blog post about new map functions advertises Apple's logo and devices through the images as well.

This makes me give DDG a second thought. Is it really as reliable as it's usually advertised or are they slowly moving into the privacy-intruding corporations boat the same way Google moved on from their initial "anti-evil" slogan?
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2464

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2020, 12:11:07 PM

I think it is going to become increasingly difficult to maintain privacy. We may well have to have a computer to run all the government and big corporation apps, and another for general use to preserve privacy. No doubt the government agencies are already monitoring isp traffic. Public WiFi may be one way round this, but you will still have to ensure that tracking and logging apps haven't got into your machine.
20kevin20 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1598

View Profile
October 17, 2020, 12:35:02 PM

@Jet Cash

Well, Qubes OS is one way to go if you have supporting specs and want to separate your "Big Brother" apps from personal ones, although it's surely better to have two separate pieces of hardware instead just in case one of the computers gets compromised. Public WiFis aren't a reliable option imo, as surveillance cams are now everywhere around..

But it becomes a huge worry if for a personal privacy-oriented PC you don't even have a reliable internet search engine that doesn't track you down, sell your data or work with big corporations anymore..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: